New Dta Features?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

I've been *secretly* planning to add a photo gallery to the website and it's coming really soon! HaHa ... Actually I've said this publicly in the past, but it's really close now.

Just curious ... what other features would you like on this site to make it even more amazing?

Reply to this thread ... you never know, I might go ahead and implement your idea! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Ouch, I just tried to install the gallery and it's so buggy .. I really can't put that on the site :( I'll try to find another one.

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh no! That's a bummer Jean.:( Sure hope you can find a good one, as it would be grand to have a picture gallery:)

Any chance of 'live chat'? Love shoutbox and would be grand to actually talk to people. So long as it could be kept private for members only of course.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
There is another forum I go to that uses a mobile app to make it super super easy to check on what's happening on the forum throughout the day. This forum is kind of touchy on my mobile browser for some reason.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Ok... I found a solution for a mobile app but it would involve me paying a monthly fee so that everyone can have free access to the forum mobile app... But.. I must know if this is something that a lot of people are ACTUALLY going to use. There is no point in me paying for something that nobody will use. So please reply to this thread if you think this is a good or bad idea. Thanks!

MaryK

Honored Member
I mostly use the P.C but haven't had any problems from my cell phone when I have used it on the odd occasion.

Gordykins

Experienced Member
I use forum runner for the other forum I visit. The reason I like it is that when I'm on my smart phone, it automatically formats everything to fit my screen, and makes it so you can navigate a lot easier. No having to stretch the window out to see a tiny picture, or scroll all over the page left to right to read everything. I usually have to zoom in on a link when I use my phone because they're so teeny on my screen that if I don't zoom I accidentally touch the wrong one, but it might just be my phone too!

Having said that though, I'm looking around as I type this and am seeing that there are no advertisements on the sides or top of this page. I can't remember if that is always the case on this site or not... but having to pay for the mobile app for the other forum I use might be why they have the ads, and that this one is ad free :)

However, I totally agree that its not worth paying to add it to the forum if nobody else is interested!

charmedwolf

Staff member
I use both my mobile phone and the computer, just depending on where I am at the present time. The site looks just fine on the phone and it loads pretty fast. To be honest, I wouldn't really worry about getting a phone app for it.

Emily Marston

Maybe you could add a trick checklist? So you have a huge list of various tricks and commands, and if your dog has learnt it, you can tick it off. It should be displayed on each member's profile, as a link.
Also, you should add a feature for members to add a profile for their dogs. So instead of just typing about your dogs under the "personal information" tab, you could just add a dog profile along with your own profile :)

Dogster

Honored Member
I really like the trick checklist idea.:) But how could we add tricks to the list if some tricks that your dog knows aren't on it? Should we have a seperate thread where we write down tricks??

I think the trick categories could be useful for this.;)

madeleine

Experienced Member
Maybe it's idea that everbody can write down there own tricks, just like we do now but then in the profile? There are so many tricks, every day there will be new ones to add... Think you have a nice job to name them all ;-)

Dlilly

Honored Member
A live chat box would be great!!

This site deffinitly needs another feature... Something interactive, like the trickster area. I'll tell you if I get any ideas.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yes the Trickster area had dog profiles - but unfortunately it was very buggy with the forum software and I had to shut it down. :( I would really like to add another feature like this but it will involve investing several hundred dollars to hire a programmer to add it to the website.

I think the first thing we need to add is a Gallery, photo and video. I will see what I can do. It's hard to find a powerful script that will be around for years to come. The biggest reason why I try not to add too many features is that with time, the programmer of those scrips abandon them and I am left with a script that is a potential security threat and with no means of updating.

Linda A

Experienced Member
I you are going to add a photo gallery you need to set size restrictions on the photos. From what I can tell a lot of the members are uploading directly from their camera/computer without making them smaller and it is taking forever for them to load on the page. Another forum I belong to limits size of files to 700 x 700 pixels. It is a nice size and the photos load very quickly. Just a thought!