Need To Blow Some Steam Of After Incident On Walking Trail.

running_dog

Honored Member
Just to agree that people who let their dogs go up to another dog that is leashed are really annoying

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think one of the first rules of good manners for walking dogs is that if another dog is leashed people should always ask permission before approaching it or allowing their dog to approach it. If their dog is unleashed they should LEASH it before trying to walk past - why should my dog suffer their dog edging closer and grinning while trying to beg treats or whatever? Often I leash my dog because he wants to play with their dog but their dog would feel it was being murdered, LOL my dog truly only wants to play... but they wouldn't like it if he did!

Once Zac had a potentially contagious skin condition. All kinds of idiots let (or seemed incapable of stopping) their dogs run up to him while I had him sitting leashed and off the path. Just as well for them that he wasn't contagious after all.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Ahh I always have troubles knowing if an owner allows their dog to play or not. Because some people will get upset if you pull your dog next to you, but some others will get upset if you don't. Usually the first ones are big-dog-owners who are kind of tired of every dog owner pulling away their dogs in terror, and the second ones are small-dog-owners who are afraid of bigger dogs hurting their smaller dogs. However, some are also owners of aggressive dogs, and most of us, owners of non-d0g-aggressive dogs, really do appreciate the warning. It would be wonderful if all people were like you people and warned others that their dog is aggressive. Because on one hand you don't want to upset the owner by pulling your dog away, and on the other hand you don't want to upset them by not doing it. I try to watch the other person's body language and their dog's body language - usually you can tell if the dog is comfortable or not, but people are harder to read. I usually make my dogs sit and wait for approach by the other dog/owner duo, but sometimes you can't do that, on a busy sidewalk for example.
But dogs should always be on a leash, and extensible leashes should NOT count as a leash for law (I think they don't in my country, actually). Also they are highly dangerous, many people have been known to have fingers severed because of either untrained dogs, or dogs bolting because of fear/excitement. I am utterly terrified of them, I almost got one of my fingers severed by a similar kind of leash.
And also - going for a walk with a dog-aggressive dog/bitch in heat, is looking for trouble? Well, yeah, maybe you can muzzle them, but dog-agressive dogs need to go for walks too! Also, so do dogs in heat! You can't just keep them locked away. And if you don't have a yard, they have to pee somewhere!

rouen

Experienced Member
He is getting better with unknown ppl,
or getting better with ppl he is getting to know? He takes a while to get comfortable with people, it's usually very noisey and he cannot be acknowledged at all. He'll bark at people he doesn't see every day but once he gets a good sniff in he'll sit on their laps or beg for attention.

Is Dingo a shy dog? Does Dingo prefer to stay across the room from unknown humans who visit your home, duck away from unknown hands, dislikes being leaned over, or touched byunknown humans? I try not to let anyone just reach out to him, he would no doubt react with a lean away and a nip, especially if he felt cornered. He's definitely fear aggressive.

Is Dingo your only dog? Does Dingo have any canine pals? Nope, Dasy's still here. He actually accepted her right away when they had the required meet and greet at the shelter. I have found that once he gets over the initial "gotta react before they do" he's pretty good with other dogs. But I try to only put him in that position when the other dog is going to be residing with us.
I had a a foster dog that wanted nothing more than to kill him. After a week they were both comfortable enough to lay down in each others presence. And by 2 weeks were playing together. I dont think Dingo was fond of Sam, but he tolerated her.

charmedwolf

Staff member
Southerngirl I applaud your restraint. I would of been swearing up and down at the guy on his phone. He wouldn't of liked me at all.

And Pawbla let me tell you. I was at a county fair walking with my cousin and her little Shih Tzu on a retractable. Another dog lunged for my cousin's dog and my instant reaction was to grab the leash to get him out of the way. I sliced open my entire palm and half my fingers because he pulled forward at the same time. I had to go to the ER, not how I wanted to spend my night!

I suggest you guys look up DINOS (Dogs in need of space) if you haven't. I love them. They just give so many suggestions for walks and exercise.

And you just reminded me of what happen when I first got Isis and Jinx. I was walking Isis and Axel at a truck stop when they were about 5-6 months. I had this little yappy terrier came charging out of no where, no leash, no nothing. Mind you we are near the highway in a truck stop where traffic is constantly in and out of. I had picked both of the them up and was holding them out of harm's way (I'm so glad they were small then) and I'm almost sure if I didn't pick them up they would have been attacked. I was lucky enough to have a trucker come running to help wrangle this little dog up. By the time the trucker had gotten this little dog and gotten bit in the process, I had Axel and Isis back in my car and away from danger. The dog's owner finally showed up from out of the truck stop and got all mad because he thought we were kidnapping/hurting his dog. Appearantly, he had stopped and just released the dog while he went inside to do whatever he needed to do.

Some people just shouldn't have pets, at all.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Ahh I always have troubles knowing if an owner allows their dog to play or not."//
It's always a great idea to just ASK.

Aw CharmedWolf, sorry about your hand! ouch!

I LOVE the DINOs site, i have the most hilarious page from them, or from one of their members, something about, "You know your dog is a DINO if........" and then follows several hilarious remarks, but, i can't find it right now. Was laugh out loud hilarious.

If you have it, CWolf, you should post the link, cuz it is kinda funny.

Ah, here it is:
http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2011/12/07/you-know-youre-living-with-dinos-when/

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Ouch! That must hurt!

DINOS web is hilarious! I'm (currently) not a DINOS, nor a MDIF, luckily. I had to read the MDIF article to be sure, though! I'm bookmarking the page, there is a really awesome "Resources" section! I've been in the DINOS place, and it is pretty awful. I had a dobbie who was dog-aggressive while leashed, and I rescued and then gave up for adoption a dog that was also dog-aggressive while leashed. I took the dobbie for walks with a muzzle, to avoid problems. People didn't allow their dogs to walk up to a massive, muzzled dobbie. But I didn't do the same with my other dog, and I had to catch numerous off-leash dogs! "But HE'S FRIENDLY!" they'd say! "But my dog isn't!" :ROFLMAO:. Ohhh, it's awful, really.

//"Ahh I always have troubles knowing if an owner allows their dog to play or not."//
It's always a great idea to just ASK.
... I'm a bit shy, actually. Sometimes I ask, but sometimes I feel it's inappropriate asking. So I just stand there wondering and waiting for an approach by the other person :ROFLMAO:. I must look pretty stupid there. But I don't force it on any dog, and my dog is not the kind of dog that pulls frantically to go greet other dogs, he usually ignores them, so usually I have no troubles. The problem comes when people who have dog-aggressive dogs let their dogs run off leash!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"The problem comes when people who have dog-aggressive dogs let their dogs run off leash!"//

that WOULD be dreadful.:eek: I hope that is not common where you live, i hope not.
it seems kind of rare where i live.
i do not know any owners of dog-aggressive dogs who would do that, and just let their dogs run free off leash when the know their dogs are terrors!!!

the vast bulk of us are extremely careful to a fault, to protect our DA dogs from ever ever getting into dog fights. I have met one owner of a DA dog chasing her dog down the street, who was off-leash,

but, she'd simply lost control of her dog, it wasn't she let him out to run free,
somehow, he'd gotten away from her.:eek:

it was a most frightening moment for me, i do not scare easily, and by now, i'm so so so so accustomed to my reactive dog, it is old hat now. I"m not afraid about my dog reacting anymore. at all. by now, it is NO big deal,
but, an offleash dog charging my dog, scares me a lot.

but, luckily, and shockingly, my DA dog, and the other DA dog loved each other. :eek: Both the other owner and i were in complete shock. NO idea how or why this happened, but wow, what a lucky break for both of us!!:eek: If i wasn't there to see it, i would not believe this story, either, and i have no explanation.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Pawbla, i guess if you too shy to ask if your dog can play with their dog, it sounds like you are doing right thing, then, to keep your dog away from other dog, if you can not ask them if your dog can meet their dog. I'd do it that way, too, Pawbla, same as you, if i could not ask them.

Anneke

Honored Member
I had never heard of DINOS, but what a great site!!! Hilarious, and all too familiar. They were talking about me:ROFLMAO:
They have t-shirts!!!! I'm actually considering to get the one saying : KEEP BACK My dog needs space:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
Cwolf that must have really hurt! That's another thing to add to my list of why I hate retractable leashes.
Never heard of DINOS before so I just now read it. Great site and very funny! I love the happy muzzles they are really cute.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
It is not common, but once in a while you see a DA dog running off leash and their owners walking like "well, it's a dog, what do you expect?". Luckily most owners DO leash their dogs.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Cwolf, one thing i do, when i do walk on his extenda leash, (not often, i mostly use it only for parks or fields, etc) i carry a small rubber-covered flashlight for his night walks,
and i can use THAT to stick into his extenda leash to reel him in if he is not coming back to me. This saves those hands.O_o I used to get my hands burned up by grabbing extenda leashes, too, pretty often!!:(
til i began carrying a rubbery-covered flashlight to wrap that extenda-leash onto, instead of my palm. I know you felt a big hurry to grab the leash, so it might not help, but i never ever reach for that extenda-leash now.. even in a hurry, i just stick that flashlight into the strap,and reel him in like a fish.
mmmMm it sure does hurt a hand to ever ever grab an extenda leash.

this rubbery light is now always in my other hand, or in my pocket, if i have Buddy on his extenda-leash.
(on the street, i use ordinary cloth leash.)

this page below is probably THE page that Charmed Wolf was trying to refer us to, not the joke page i have posted.:rolleyes: In case anyone missed seeing THIS page of the site, here it is:
http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2011/12/14/dinos-resource-guide/

It's kinda hard to find a dog-aggression website i don't belong to, (unless i think it is rubbish) and DINOs is a good one. I also like, that some of their articles DO distinguish dog-aggressive dogs ARE different, and often need a different management system than a human-aggressive (shy) dog needs.

running_dog

Honored Member
This thread has come to mind a couple of times over the last few weeks...

Once outside the vets (too many trips there recently) I went into reverse with Gus as a dog came out. The owner somewhat tiredly said, "It's alright, she's friendly" I laughed and said "Oh it isn't that I'm trying to teach the puppy not to pull on the lead." The other owner relaxed instantly and I realised he must spend his life trying to stop people ducking away from his beautiful German Shepherd, so sad :( but at least he doesn't have Southerngirl's problem with idiots!

Then today, or was it yesterday :confused:, nevermind... walking with a friend, her dog, Gus and Zac. Two unknown dogs and owner in distance, so we got all three dogs on leash or by the collar and moved well off the path to wait for them to pass our thugs. Once the dogs got too close to us to recall the owner tried ineffectively to recall them O_o. One ran to about 10m away and stood barking, the other (a biggish dog) bounded up to my friends big dog and set him into a leaping barking frenzy then he moved on to Zac. I only leash Zac because he plays too rough for many other dogs. I do not usually hold on to him to make him (or Gus) suffer being bounded on by out of control dogs (a passing sniff is fine, bruises are not). So I let Zac go. I don't think Zac was impressed by the dog's lack of manners and he quite deliberately chased him out of our vicinity and then calmly greeted the barking dog (who stopped barking and walked off). I wonder if the owner will attempt to leash her dogs earlier next time?

mewzard

Experienced Member
Once outside the vets (too many trips there recently) I went into reverse with Gus as a dog came out. The owner somewhat tiredly said, "It's alright, she's friendly" I laughed and said "Oh it isn't that I'm trying to teach the puppy not to pull on the lead." The other owner relaxed instantly and I realised he must spend his life trying to stop people ducking away from his beautiful German Shepherd, so sad :( but at least he doesn't have Southerngirl's problem with idiots!
Thats me... So many people go in the other direction when they see Oka.

I usually do say "shes friendly" but i'm not a MDIF.

I had slip-up the other day when we were sat at a park, a dog apeared out of nowhere (on lead) and Oka slipped the lead off of my wrist. She ran towards the other dog, then crept up submissively (ears back tail well tucked) from about 6foot away. the owner FREAKED out despite the fact Oka had only sniffed the dog. the other dog was just stood there sniffing back until the owner started squealing and trying to pick her dog up. Then her dog started barking, i grabbed Oka's lead and apologised, explain what had happened, she said nothing so i walked away. She was checking her dog out despite the fact Oka hadn't actually made contact with the dog!! She carried it away...

running_dog

Honored Member
Why don't people learn a little dog body language if they are going to get a dog? O_o

You have my sympathy Mewzard, this man wasn't an MDIF either, he just sounded so weary of trying to explain that his mild mannered GSD (that barely glanced in my direction) was not a savage monster. Zac plays with a GSD so it hadn't even crossed my mind to stop Gus going to this GSD just because it WAS a GSD but equally obviously it hadn't crossed the owners mind that I could be backing away for any other reason.

There is a Siberian husky that we see around. The owner once told one of my family that if off leash the husky "would have killed Zac" and we believe that is true. This morning the aforesaid husky was running loose through the park with no owner in sight :eek:. Just the sort of dog to roam unattended through the park... but no one is scared because he looks like he's off a Disney film O_o.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
What is an MDIF?? "My Dog Is Friendly"??? meaning ppl who just allow their dogs to approach unknown dogs without asking permission first?