My Rat Terrier Dog Is Breaking Out With A Rash

kimw30

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she is breaking out with a rash on her stomach and chest and a small place is on her face. She has been wearing clothes, I dont know if she may be allergic to the clothes. I take her clothes off and it doesnt seem to go away. Any suggestions on what this could be.

southerngirl

Honored Member
First I would take her to the vet. Prissy seems to have a lot of medical problems, MaryK a member here uses a dog food called dogx formula I believe that is good for allergies, you may want to look into changing Prissy to this food. Also eliminate any new products in your house she may be allergic to it.

kimw30

First I would take her to the vet. Prissy seems to have a lot of medical problems, MaryK a member here uses a dog food called dogx formula I believe that is good for allergies, you may want to look into changing Prissy to this food. Also eliminate any new products in your house she may be allergic to it.
Thanks for the information, I always thought Prissy was healthy dog till 4 months ago she got real sick and now she cant seem to get straighten out, she always been real small but had always been healthy till 4 months ago. I wonder if the dog food is a prescription dog food.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks for the information, I always thought Prissy was healthy dog till 4 months ago she got real sick and now she cant seem to get straighten out, she always been real small but had always been healthy till 4 months ago. I wonder if the dog food is a prescription dog food.
Go to MaryK's profile page and you can ask her about the dog food she feeds to her dogs.

Dogster

Honored Member
I agree with southerngirl. Take her to the vet (a good vet) and look into what's causing all these problems...
It might be the food. What food are you feeding her? She may be allergic to something in the food. My dog had severe dandruff because she was allergic to an ingredient in her food called "brewer's dried yeast." I started noticing change when I switched her food. Maybe that's all that Prissy needs...

kimw30

I agree with southerngirl. Take her to the vet (a good vet) and look into what's causing all these problems...
It might be the food. What food are you feeding her? She may be allergic to something in the food. My dog had severe dandruff because she was allergic to an ingredient in her food called "brewer's dried yeast." I started noticing change when I switched her food. Maybe that's all that Prissy needs...
Thanks for the information, I feed her Purina EN that is what the vet prescribed her, It was the only food that doesnt make her have diarrhea, but she really doesnt like the food a whole lot sometimes she will go a couple days and not eat anything, I get so worried about her.

southerngirl

Honored Member
From what I've heard Purina is not a good dog food and that most vets don't know about dog nutrition. There is a thread somewhere on the forum about dog food I' 'll try to find for you.

kimw30

From what I've heard Purina is not a good dog food and that most vets don't know about dog nutrition. There is a thread somewhere on the forum about dog food I' 'll try to find for you.
Thanks for the information about purina, I think I may need to see about changing her food because she has this rash and now she is very constipated, she cant go to the bathroom. I think it may be the food. What kind of food does your dog eat?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thanks for the information about purina, I think I may need to see about changing her food because she has this rash and now she is very constipated, she cant go to the bathroom. I think it may be the food. What kind of food does your dog eat?
My dog has to eat crappy old Roy because my mom can' t afford anything else, but when I get a job I plan on feeding her taste of the wild. If you post a thread on dog food or reply to the thread I linked for you members will help you decide the right food for Prissy.

kimw30

My dog has to eat crappy old Roy because my mom can' t afford anything else, but when I get a job I plan on feeding her taste of the wild. If you post a thread on dog food or reply to the thread I linked for you members will help you decide the right food for Prissy.
Thanks so much for the information, I will do that

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
True story- My last Collie had chronically loose stools as a youngster. The Vet prescribed food for him- get this- the first ingredient in this "special" diet... Peanut shells! Good Greif! You can stop up anything if you put a big enough cork in it! Needless to say the rest of the bag went into the trash! I don't remember what the fix was as that was a long time ago now except that it was holistic. Good luck with your pup.

MaryK

Honored Member
I see Southerngirl mentioned DOGtorX Formula. Yes it's worked wonders with my boy Zeus, who has to be the MOST allergy prone dog in the world. He had hot spots, sever break outs which even caused a pi derma fold on his foot but since being on DOGtorX Formula, not a sign of a break out.

Purina isn't good!!!!! I see a link has already been posted on this. Vets, unfortunately are not good dieticians, they just go with what the major food companies tell them, which is of course their particular brand is best.:(

I feed my guys mostly on raw meat (Kangaroo it's yucky for me but good for them) and also Supercoat as a dry kibble.

Zeus also has Cushings (don't panic I doubt Prissy has that) and DOGtorX Formula is keeping him well and happy. In fact he's now off the vet's medication, which only worked for a while then he went down hill FAST, and can now keep pace with Ra Kismet on walks, jump around like a youngster and is as energetic as a lazy dog can be:D

Here's a link (it's an Australian one but the product is available world wide) http://www.petequinox.com.au/test.html

kimw30

I see Southerngirl mentioned DOGtorX Formula. Yes it's worked wonders with my boy Zeus, who has to be the MOST allergy prone dog in the world. He had hot spots, sever break outs which even caused a pi derma fold on his foot but since being on DOGtorX Formula, not a sign of a break out.

Purina isn't good!!!!! I see a link has already been posted on this. Vets, unfortunately are not good dieticians, they just go with what the major food companies tell them, which is of course their particular brand is best.:(

I feed my guys mostly on raw meat (Kangaroo it's yucky for me but good for them) and also Supercoat as a dry kibble.

Zeus also has Cushings (don't panic I doubt Prissy has that) and DOGtorX Formula is keeping him well and happy. In fact he's now off the vet's medication, which only worked for a while then he went down hill FAST, and can now keep pace with Ra Kismet on walks, jump around like a youngster and is as energetic as a lazy dog can be:D

Here's a link (it's an Australian one but the product is available world wide) http://www.petequinox.com.au/test.html
Thanks for the information, So that that you use for your dog isnt prescription. I need to get Prissy off of the purina, maybe that is why she isnt gaining weight and maybe that is why she is constipated, Hopefully I can find a dog food that will work for her. The vet has had me to try science diet and AD and ID and I have tried blue and I tried cesar and alpo and it all makes her have diarrhea and now the kind she is on now makes her constipated. And she is getting so skinny, I worry about her.

MaryK

Honored Member
No, I did use the Hill's Prescription food for a while but it didn't help at all. I was also told, on this forum I think, that it's not all that good. It's a mine field out there with dog food, the links you've been given are very good, unfortunately I cannot help with American food, as a lot of it's not available here.

Now I just use mostly raw meat, with some veggies thrown in for a change. And supercoat, which is the best of the 'ordinary' dog foods available here.

Also, what treats do you use? Just had a thought that maybe these may be contributing to Prissy's problems?

kimw30

No, I did use the Hill's Prescription food for a while but it didn't help at all. I was also told, on this forum I think, that it's not all that good. It's a mine field out there with dog food, the links you've been given are very good, unfortunately I cannot help with American food, as a lot of it's not available here.

Now I just use mostly raw meat, with some veggies thrown in for a change. And supercoat, which is the best of the 'ordinary' dog foods available here.

Also, what treats do you use? Just had a thought that maybe these may be contributing to Prissy's problems?
Thanks for the information, I give her milk bones the soft and chewy ones, chicken flavor

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for the information, I give her milk bones the soft and chewy ones, chicken flavor
I would check the list of ingredients, and also where they are made! Be aware, it may say 'packaged in USA' with imported ingredients - be careful of this. A lot of the flavoring in dog and human food is artificial not the real thing, again check. Not sure which brand they are, as I don't give my boys any treats which are not home made.

Maybe look at the thread here for home made treats and try them. There's a mass of treats, all types and some would be a virtual meal for a little one like Prissy. I think Anneke just posted a treat meat ball type, which looks really good and also would be enough for a meal for Prissy.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Purina, Science Diet, Little Cesar's, and Alpo are all low-rated foods. Vets are compensated well by Science Diet to sell it in their practices. Please, if you can, switch her to a high-quality food. My bet is that you'll see a big difference in her overall health. True, you can give her something like DogtorX Formula, but it might be better to try to give her a better diet first, than try to fix what her diet might be "breaking" (if you know what I mean). I feed "The Honest Kitchen", which is a dehydrated 'raw' (since I can't afford, nor do I want to go, the whole raw route), mixed with a little kibble. Please take a look at some really high quality foods, and maybe supplement with some Omega-3 right now (fish/salmon oil, or krill oil) and get her health, skin, etc, back on track.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I was thinking, until you get things all sorted out, adding a bit of pumpkin to her food each day may help with her constipation. Be sure it's 100% pumpkin *and not pie filling*, and just add a spoonful to her meals. It helps balance things out in the digestive tract - it's fiber, so it works both ways, it helps with both diarrhea and constipation. And it's good for them. (y)