My Dog Became So Aggressive

alcastive

OMG ! I just came home from my vacation, and i heard that Sasha has been mated with JRT my friend took her when i was in Cyprus i am sooo happy and worry at the same time. She really missed me :(

alcastive

Things have changed with Sasha since i arrived home i noticed these 2 days she became more sensitive, can't take my eyes or hand of her! if i do that she will make that nuisance sound! and it is very annoying is she hurt that's why she's doing that ? how can i know ? i can't work, or eat or watch TV. she only stop when i play with her that sound is really annoying like she wants something and i don't get it ! she's been dominating my hand and her bed too (she's biting her bed)

I don't understand anything :S

bekah1001

Honored Member
Hmmmm.... on dogbreedinfo.com they have information about pregnant dogs and breeding. maybe hey have an explination. i know that when some dogs are in heat they will try humping other dogs and etc

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I would suggest that since you now have a pregnant dog, you start reading and learning as much as you possibly can about what changes to expect in your girl. You have lots to learn, and not a lot of time to waste. You need to be able to give her what she needs. You should also talk to your vet, make sure you're giving her all she needs, as far as diet, attention, etc - and your vet can help you with a lot, and help answer all your questions.

Also, start learning (now) what to expect once she has her puppies (rather than wait til it happens). There is so much to do, so much to learn, so much work (if you do all the work you should do). I know this because I picked a very pregnant stray up years ago, and had 10 days before she delivered 11 puppies in my spare bathroom. I spent every minute reading and preparing - cuz once those puppies came, I had little rest. Yes, mom does the feeding, but so much to think about (such as where she will have them, how to keep shoes clean/free of disease when entering the house (we had visitors remove shoes or spray with bleach), where will puppies be contained once they start to wander around, who will help clean (the floor, etc), who will help socialize the puppies to people, kids, noises, etc - the list goes on and on and on....

You've taken on a huge responsibility, now you've got to start preparing. It's a lot of work, but it's so much fun. The day I picked up a straggly stray dog out of the street, I had no idea it would change my life in the way it did. I had 2 dogs and a nice "quiet" life. Enter: a very pregnant stray. Wow, how things changed immediately. I ended up keeping 2 (after I wasn't going to keep any!) - and found fabulous homes for the rest. My mom adopted the mom dog, so this story had a happy ending for all - but wow, I was exhausted. I worked my butt off, because I was determined that those puppies were going to have the best possible start I could give them. I tried to do everything right (and of course, still managed to make mistakes, cuz, well, it just happens). But my point is - get reading, asking, talking, find out what to expect. Talk to the vet, others who have had pregnant dogs, etc. The more you know, the better prepared you'll be as you go along, and hopefully, the smoother everything will go. Have fun!

alcastive

@ Bekah1001, Thank you for the link i will check it

@ Jackienmutts, Omg "socialize the puppies" that's a thing i never thought of, i better start searching and reading now. thank you for the awareness post, I am glad to read about your experience but 11 puppies ? how could you take care of them, that was really cool, did they get to like you and know you quickly ? were they following their mother ? were they aggressive ? will they had the same personalities ? i am sorry if i am asking you a lot.

bekah1001

Honored Member
when riley had her pups we had to stay up all night ......till 7 in the morning. it was exhausting. Btw for the site you might need to search breeding on it to find the info

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh, suddenly having 11 puppies was quite an experience - it was wonderful and I'm glad I got to go thru it, but it was exhausting, and I wouldn't deliberately sign up for again. They all had their own distinct personalities. Their mom fed them and loved to play - but there's so much more to it than just that. I wanted these puppies to have the best possible chance at having a good life, and staying in their homes. I involved practically the whole neighborhood - kids and adults came over constantly to play, pet, and socialize with the pups. They were so used to people of all ages, men, women, kids, dogs (mine and my neighbors, who took mom and pups to her house on several occasions), and cats. They were used to noises - telephone, vacuum, radio, lawnmower, banging pots, etc ... so weren't jumpy when things happened out of the ordinary. They were used to different surfaces inside and outside - linoleum, carpet, matting, grass, dirt, rocks, pads, climbing on different things outside, small steps, all kinds of things - not to mention toys of all shapes and sizes. When they went to their new homes, they all came running to a clap of my hands and "come, puppies". They also would come running outside and potty to "potty puppies". No one could believe I could get 11 puppies to potty, but they did it!! Everyone got back to me and said they couldn't believe it, but the housetraining was 80% done before their puppies even got home. The two I kept had very few accidents (and they were my fault - I was gone too long).

No - the puppies weren't aggressive. By socializing them, I mean you want to get them used to as many life experiences (within your home) as you can before they leave. You don't want to send any puppy home at 8 wks who's only lived with it's mom, has never been outside, not met anyone besides your family, has been kept in a quiet room - and is basically clueless as to the outside world. I brought as much of the world to these puppies as I possibly could. I had a great vet, he did housecalls, and actually did "shot clinics" at my house. He came the night the puppies were born (thank goodness I didn't have to cart the mom and 11 puppies into the clinic) and checked the mom and all eleven puppies. Then, made several trips out periodically to check on them all, just see how they were growing, make sure everyone was healthy. He did their first set of shots - then held a "shot clinic" at my house for their second series, and everyone brought the pups back, we had a huge playdate/reunion, etc. Having picked up the mom out of the street, we had a huge bout of worms and diarrhea (I'm still trying to forget that - it was horrid) and he was treating her, so of course she had passed it along to the pups. I'll leave all that to your imagination, it wasn't pretty. :eek: It was hard work, but I would have done anything for Brandy (the mom) and all her beautiful babies. You can also imagine the vet bills - they added up. The floor was mopped twice daily with lysol, everyone's shoes were either removed and left at the front door, or the bottoms sprayed with bleach before entering the house to keep from bringing in parvo or any other disease.

There are so many things, I could go on and on for days. I strongly urge you to find a book or start reading online about what to expect from a pregnant female, and then what to be prepared for once the puppies are born. Puppies go thru many stages, you need to know what to expect, almost day to day, if you want them to have the start they deserve. You need to start thinking about where you want her to have these puppies. Don't let her just pick a spot hours beforehand - you find the perfect spot, someplace quiet, safe, out of the way, where she can take care of her babies and get the rest she needs, also.

I meant to ask you also, do you have a vet appt for your girl anytime soon? You'll want to have her checked, make sure she's in good health, and have your list of questions ready for your vet - he/she can answer a lot of things for you. Since it's now been a few days, you basically have 60 days (or a few less, not sure when "it" happened) to get ready for puppies. It may seem like a lot, but it's not. Get going, you've got puppies on the way!! :p

alcastive

Thank you jackienmutts again :) I don't have an appointment yet, i was waiting to see her getting weight and then take her to the vet. I noticed that sasha was eating 80mg of her food per day (while she should eat 120mg) now she's eating more than 120mg like 30mg more than the vet suggested (when i first got her)

sara

Staff member
You wont see signs of her pregnancy until only 3 weeks or so before giving birth (at least we didn't see anything from the St. Poodle I helped Whelp and raise the pups, she had a perfect figure until approx 3 weeks before giving birth)

You need to get Sasha on a high quality puppy food right away, and in the last couple of weeks before she's due you need to up the amount she gets. Dont be afraid to give her raw chicken (bones included) or other types of raw meat (like Beef ribs and pork necks) She needs a fair amount of protein and calcium to grow healthy puppies.

bekah1001

Honored Member
Oh, suddenly having 11 puppies was quite an experience - it was wonderful and I'm glad I got to go thru it, but it was exhausting, and I wouldn't deliberately sign up for again. They all had their own distinct personalities. Their mom fed them and loved to play - but there's so much more to it than just that. I wanted these puppies to have the best possible chance at having a good life, and staying in their homes. I involved practically the whole neighborhood - kids and adults came over constantly to play, pet, and socialize with the pups. They were so used to people of all ages, men, women, kids, dogs (mine and my neighbors, who took mom and pups to her house on several occasions), and cats. They were used to noises - telephone, vacuum, radio, lawnmower, banging pots, etc ... so weren't jumpy when things happened out of the ordinary. They were used to different surfaces inside and outside - linoleum, carpet, matting, grass, dirt, rocks, pads, climbing on different things outside, small steps, all kinds of things - not to
mention toys of all shapes and sizes. When they went to their new homes, they all came running to a clap of my hands and "come, puppies". They also would come running outside and potty to "potty puppies". No one could believe I could get 11 puppies to potty, but they did it!! Everyone got back to me and said they couldn't believe it, but the housetraining was 80% done before their puppies even got home. The two I kept had very few accidents (and they were my fault - I was gone too long).
Wow impressive...what age did you start added new enviroments/sounds/people....etc