Mudbathing

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"So my boyfriend cut a piece out and put a wire grill in, just so Cooper can see where we are going."//

I WANT A PICTURE OF THAT!!!:ROFLMAO:

TOO CUTE!

Yeah, i BET you do get some looks when you were like a "Dog Transport Bus" or something!! TOO FUNNY!!!!

Anneke, if you have any tips on how to get dogs to NOT bark in a car, let me know!! i have a thread going on that somewhere, plan to resume "lessons" this summer...:rolleyes:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/a-can-of-air-for-barking-in-the-car.4046/

Dogster

Honored Member
Another little princess example: Shivon will only swim in pools. When I went to Algonquin Park during the summer, I was hoping to teach her how to swim. NOT A CHANCE. It was TOO COLD for her. Too cold for a DOG. Humph. She only swam 3 times (bribed with treats) Just a little princess.....:rolleyes: :cool:

Dogster

Honored Member
Ontario is the LEAST dog-friendly province in Canada. :mad: So, there isn't a place I can take Shivon swimming. Oh, I wish she'd like to swim.....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ah, i think a dog's quirks make them unique. The more quirks, the better, imo.
When you reminisce of dogs you've had in the past, it is their quirks that tug on your heart the most, those lil odd things that still make you smile to remember it, even years later...

quirks are the best.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dogster, some of our local dog training schools have doggie pools. maybe there is something like that in your town?
some doggie parks have ponds, too.

most lakes have a dog friendly beach on it somewhere...but i guess for Chivon, you'd have to go late in the summer, when the lake has warmed up a bit!!!:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
Nope, no doggy pools. The closest one is in Bowmanville. Long drive.:( Doggy beach, not fenced in, my little Vonnie would run away at FULL SPEED. Trust me, Last time she was at a doggy beach, she spent most of her time running away, and we spent most of our time chasing her.:rolleyes: Dogcrazy and I have been looking for a doggy swimming pool for a while now.....

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Wow!! Your dogs actually brake the ice?
Carmel loves to roll herself around on any ice (puddles)!!
Carmel doesn't like swimming but loves stiking her head into anything!!:rolleyes: carmel is such a princes when getting her but wet

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL on prissy dogs.
Rusty, my old Rottie mix boy, was a TOTAL priss. He was a Rottie/Pit/? mix, very tough looking and muscular....but hated hated hated being dirty. One time after it rained I let him out, and a little later I looked out to check on him...he had climbed the tree in the backyard to avoid being in the mud! It was one of very few times he ever climbed that tree in his life--the other times were for the exact same reason: avoiding the mud! :ROFLMAO: He loathed mud, and actually tiptoed in it to avoid getting much of it on him!

But, he loved water; loved playing in it, bobbing for ice in it, anything with water. Just not mud. And preferably very clean water. Once he had played in it too much and it was a little bit dirty, nope, no more. Clean water please. :D Such a priss for such a tough looking dog.

mewzard

Experienced Member
LOL at such funny dogs. Oka's breeder and a lady who has one of Oka's siblings, but have "dogmobils" which are transit vans kitted with crates in the back... Masses of ££ spent, but when you have many big dogs needs must!

Oka loves puddles and will go into ponds, lakes, streams and rivers up to her tummy. One time she jumped into a stream that is relatively shallow...except the bit she was at, she could have touched the bottom...she leaped in huge *SPLASH* and i saw this look of "OMG!!" on her face as she leapt out again, never again has she blindly jumped into water. I thought this a good lesson learnt!
Oka can break ice, we don't get a lot but she will bounce on it til it cracks - i though all dogs knew how to do this!?

Oka goes in our boot, the floor is currently white where the carpet of the car encourages her hair to come out - or just captures it really well!!

Anneke - are you in holland? Love the windmill in the background of the van picture!
The back is closed off from the front with a thin wall(don't know how you call this:oops:)
The word i would use is - partition - which could be solid or see through, it divides one space from another.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Tx, i busted out laffin to picture Rusty, a big Rottie/Pit mix, up in a tree to avoid get his paws wet. what a picture..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

But, i'm kind of glad to realize, Buddy is not The only dog with "wet paw phobia". Buddy can swim, and now seems to enjoy swimming, although he is not "great" at swimming, he will swim around.........but stepping in puddles on a walk, is repulsive to Buddy...

mewzard

Experienced Member
Yes Mewzard, I live in Holland;)
And Thank you for that word... for the life of me, I couldn't think of it last night:D Google translation was no help:mad: It came up with devider...
divider would work, but in my mind "a divider" isn't as permanent.. :D
Where abouts are you? I have a friend near Alkmaar, though haven't spoken to him in quite a while.

Tigerlily, do you think Buddy dislikes mucky feet because of his start in life? Or just that it's part of his personality?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Mewzard, i have no idea...maybe it IS cuz he did live in mud 24/7, he did, grew up in a cage on a mud floor barn.
but, no idea, maybe he is just a prissy dog:LOL: just no idea. But it is something to see, a dog stepping around every puddle!!
but Tx's Rusty, was same way, so maybe some dogs are just "mud-haters". (?) I'd never heard of such a thing til we met Buddy.
It sure is a weird thing. I showed Craig that video of Anneke's mudbathing dogs, and he laughed and said, "wow, no way would Buddy enjoy that!"

Buddy has a hidey-hole behind our shadey hosta garden, Buddy dug it himself, and since it can't be seen, we decided to let him have that spot for his "cool off" place. (dirt a foot down, is way cooler than surface dirt) Plus, Buddy looks endlessly cute peeking over the hostas..:LOL:

Buddy sits in there on hot weather days, but the dirt is mostly packed hard, and he still looks clean when he gets out.
but, if it has rained, and if there is even a bit of water or mud in his hidey-hole, he will not get near it at all.:rolleyes: he reeeeeeeeeeally hates mud.

Anneke

Honored Member
I live in Ommen, a small town near the German border, so I am on the other side of the country from your friend.:D

About getting the paws wet... A friend of mine has a jackrussel/dachshund mix and she hates to get wet. A few years ago my friend had some problems and Gypsy was staying with us. So we took her along on our vacation to one of the dutch islands.
Gypsy is the kind of dog that doesn't walk on wet grass, or will lift her paws up real high with an ieuwww expression on her face.
So when we went for a walk on the beach our dogs were just having a great time racing through the big puddles on the beach. But then one of these puddles reached into the sea. Gypsy didn't notice this and we were on the other side of it. She had to go through to get to us. Oh my, did she have a problem!! Going back and forth, jumping up and down... Looking at Jinx and Cooper racing through it. I wanted to go and pick her up, but my boyfriend said, lets wait and see what she does. And she did go through, but boy was she ticked off about it!
Nope the beach was not for her, she decided and every evening, when we went for a walk on the beach, she would stay far behind us and as soon as we turned back, she would run ahead towards the car:LOL:
I swaer my two were teasing her with it... They would shake out their wet coat right in front of her so she got wet anyway. Jinx would look for her and stand besides her before shaking her coat:ROFLMAO: