Missy- Border Collie/lab

MaryK

Honored Member
Aw Thank you so much Souterngirl, what beautiful puppies Missy had, and I can just see Little One he's too darned cute for words. Love them all!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love:

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm sorry. :cry: Can I ask how he died?
I've only told a few people about it because I don't want someone judging Domino or my family, but I feel that no one here would do so, so I guess I will.
He did not die of natural causes, he was put to sleep by the pound, but they were not suppose to put him to sleep. So here the story. Domino was a very sweet boy and loved people, but when adults came in the house he would growl, bark and his hackles would be raised, though he didn't do this with kids. He adored kids, that's why I find what supposedly happened strange. He never growled, barked or anything when he meet people outside of the house. My two little cousins Beth 5 and Micheal 2 and my little brother Aaron 6 were outside playing. Aaron and Beth went to my brothers door, which they had been told Not to use. Domino slipped out the door. From what my brother said and Beth he bit her face. When my older brother went out to get her Domino was standing over her giving her tons of kisses, this is why I think a nail or tooth caught her skin and ripped it. Poor Beth now has a scar that isn't too noticeably thankfully, but she had a tone of stitches. My mom was ordered to take Domino to the pound for quarantine or go to jail. Before he went to the pound my mom gave him a bath, it may seem silly but she wanted him clean and it was her way of saying by. After his quarantine was up she was told she could get him. She received a call saying they put him down, it was a mistake. We weren't going to be able to keep him, but did plan on finding him a suitable home. The thing I regret most about this is if I were outside with them it wouldn't have happened, they had asked me to come out. I had said when it comes to a commercial, I should have just gone out. I also regret not asking to drop him off with my dad, I didn't know he wasn't coming back I never said goodbye. To this day 4 years later I can't say his name in front of my little brother, he brakes down in tears, my mom won't talk about him because it makes her cry. I miss him, but I like talking about him even if it makes me cry. The name Domino is not said in my house. If we say something about him we say D. Sorry for the long story and Please don't judge anyone, you didn't know him or what happened, honestly no does because the only witnesses were little kids. I hope I don't end up regretting posting this

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I'm so sorry. I would be just as devastated as your family if something like that had happened to one of my dogs. I'm not judging you, nothing bad to say on my side. Mistakes happen, and I think the major mistake was on the pounds fault not your guys. Again I'm sorry for loss, in such a horrible way. It was definitely unfair.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm so sorry. I would be just as devastated as your family if something like that had happened to one of my dogs. I'm not judging you, nothing bad to say on my side. Mistakes happen, and I think the major mistake was on the pounds fault not your guys. Again I'm sorry for loss, in such a horrible way. It was definitely unfair.
Thank You.

blacknym

Experienced Member
That is such a sad story. :( it is unfortunate the pound made that mistake. I would be heartbroken as well.

MaryK

Honored Member
The funny thing is Little One grew up to be HUGE he probably outgrew his siblings. My brothers very nice teacher took him.
:LOL: Always the way. So glad he got a wonderful, how sweet of the teacher.(y) My late cat Buddha was the 'runt' of the litter and grew into a HUGE cat, I kept him and found good homes for the other kittens - Mom was pregnant when she 'adopted' me - usual story female cat not desexed is dumped.

MaryK

Honored Member
No-one here will judge you or your family Southerngirl. It was a tragic mistake, made by the pound not anyone from your family. And please, don't blame yourself, you were not to know what would happen, you're not to blame at all. Maybe things would have been different if you had gone outside immediately, maybe not, that is something no-one will ever know. I know I too would have been devastated if something like that happened to me, I can only say how sorry I am for you all and please, as I said before, don't feel guilty.

southerngirl

Honored Member
No-one here will judge you or your family Southerngirl. It was a tragic mistake, made by the pound not anyone from your family. And please, don't blame yourself, you were not to know what would happen, you're not to blame at all. Maybe things would have been different if you had gone outside immediately, maybe not, that is something no-one will ever know. I know I too would have been devastated if something like that happened to me, I can only say how sorry I am for you all and please, as I said before, don't feel guilty.
Thank you. I just hate that it happened. Domino is dead and my cousin is left with a scar on her face. I feel lucky that I had the chance to know such a sweet, loving dog. Him and Missy were best friends. I miss the sound of the two of them banging around in the hallway play fighting.

southerngirl

Honored Member
:LOL: Always the way. So glad he got a wonderful, how sweet of the teacher.(y) My late cat Buddha was the 'runt' of the litter and grew into a HUGE cat, I kept him and found good homes for the other kittens - Mom was pregnant when she 'adopted' me - usual story female cat not desexed is dumped.
From what I read a lot of runts(if they live) end up being the biggest in the litter when their all grown up. Cats get dumped a lot in my neighborhood. Once my mom brought home a litter of 2 kittens, one was declawed and the other was spayed. No clue why someone would dump them.O_o

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you. I just hate that it happened. Domino is dead and my cousin is left with a scar on her face. I feel lucky that I had the chance to know such a sweet, loving dog. Him and Missy were best friends. I miss the sound of the two of them banging around in the hallway play fighting.
Hold that feeling that you were lucky, albeit for only a short time, to know such a sweet dog. Not everyone is that privileged. And yes, you still have your very beautiful Missy:)

Of course you miss him, I too still miss every dog I've had, every cat and other animals I have shared my life with. A vet here summed it up really well. He said that we have in our minds a 'chest with drawers' in each draw is the memory of a beloved animal, and we can open the drawer any time we wish and remember all the good times.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
From what I read a lot of runts(if they live) end up being the biggest in the litter when their all grown up. Cats get dumped a lot in my neighborhood. Once my mom brought home a litter of 2 kittens, one was declawed and the other was spayed. No clue why someone would dump them.O_o
Thank you Southerngirl, I am always learning on this forum. Didn't know that about the runts, great information to have up my sleeve.

I too lived in the same type of area, cats were regularly dumped, either kitten or pregnant females, and of course I was always coming home with them. My late Mom would see me approaching with 'something' in my arms and say "Oh My God, what is that child bringing home this time". :D

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
From what I read a lot of runts(if they live) end up being the biggest in the litter when their all grown up.
It's true! Lol My sisters Chihuahua had a accidentally pregnancy she had 5 pups. The runt ended up being the largest of them all. The largest of the litter when they were first born ended up being the smallest, but she only lived to be about a year old.

Honored Member
So sad about Domino :(

My sister has a scar on her lip from our first dog. Although it was rather different to what happened with Domino.

southerngirl

Honored Member
So sad about Domino :(

My sister has a scar on her lip from our first dog. Although it was rather different to what happened with Domino.
Yeah I have I scar on the side of my forehead from Chase. He jumped on me when I was two and his nail cut me and I have scar on my lip from a previous dog that bit me.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank you Southerngirl, I am always learning on this forum. Didn't know that about the runts, great information to have up my sleeve.

I too lived in the same type of area, cats were regularly dumped, either kitten or pregnant females, and of course I was always coming home with them. My late Mom would see me approaching with 'something' in my arms and say "Oh My God, what is that child bringing home this time". :D
My dad get's really mad when I bring home a cat.:cautious::p