Missy- Border Collie/lab

Discussion in 'Meet the Dogs' started by southerngirl, Jan 15, 2013.

1. southerngirl Honored Member

Birthday: Febuary 18, 2006(?)
    Sex: Female/Spayed
    Favorite Food: Cheese, Hot dogs
    Favorite toy: Tug Rope
    Favorite trick: anything that has to do with her paws

How I got Missy: Missy is my crazy girl. Me and my family found her when she was six months old. Missy was walking around on a walking trail. She was dehydrated, her paws were bleeding from walking for so long and she had a red mark on her neck. We brought her home. We weren't suppose to keep her but, I begged my mom and she said yes.
    Who is Missy- As a puppy Missy was nutz, crazy, hyper, energizer bunny. She destroyed, my shoes, my birds playground, my carpet(pee monster) chewed a hole in my wall and many other things, she was worth it. Missy is submissive toward boys, but not nearly as badly as she used to be. She loves everyone, but my dad who she's scared of. She has calmed down a lot.Missy loves playing frisbee, fetch, jogs, long walks, water(swimming water). She knows when it's time for play and time to chill. She is getting better with car rides.
    Problems- Missy now has two dog friends. We are still working on her not flipping out when she see's dogs. The reason she flips out is because she is frustrated she can't just go see them.
    1. Sit
    2. Lie Down
    3. Roll over
    4. Stay
    5. Here
    6.Bang
    7. Take it
    8. Carry basket
    9. put eggs in basket
    10. Say your prayers
    11. Spin left
    12. Spin Right
    13. Jump through Hula Hop
    14. Jump over back(while kneeling
    15. Jump over arms
    16. Jump over legs
    17. jump over bar
    18. U-turn
    19 circle
    20. crawl
    21. Beg
    22. cover eyes
    23. Cross Paws
    24. High Five
    25. Paddy Cake
    26. Cop-Cop
    27.Back up
    28. Paw Left
    29. Paw Right
    30. Jump into arms
    31. Shut door
    32. walks on loose leash(unless another dog is spotted)
    33. Give me ten
    34. Wait
    35. Stop
    36. Turn Left
    37. Turn right
    38. Bed(my bedroom)
    39. Stand
    40. Bow
    41. Ladder( I lay a ladder down folded and she runs between the steps)
    42. Weave(through my legs)
    43. Figure 8
    44. Peek a Boo
    45. Catch a Fresbee
    46. Watch me
    47. Porch(goes onto porch)
    48. Down(get off furniture)
    49. Leave it
    50. Hide(when it's bath time she hides from me:LOL:)
    51. Find(I cheat at hide in seek by having Missy Find my brothers)
    52.Find (toys
    53.Jump through arms
    54. Chorus line up
    55. Pick up iteams
    56. Moonwalk
    57. Help me up
    58. Are you cold?
    59. Clean up.
    60. Back vault
    61. Back stall
    62. Back up onto objects
    63. Tunnel
    64. open CD player
    65. Hug my leg
    66. Target
    67. reverse(walk backwards between my legs from a distance)
    68. Free time(go sniff while on walks)
    69, All Done(sniff time over)
    70. Easy
    71. Crunches
    72.) Hug your sister
    73.) rebound
    74) hug a teddy bear
    75) Stand Tall 76) Limp

2. raymond upton Well-Known Member

wow that is a pretty amazing list of tricks good job teaching her all thoses and she's a really cool looking dog
  3. southerngirl Honored Member

Poo
    thank you.
    Mr-Remington and MaryK like this.
  4. Mr-Remington Experienced Member

Good for you for saving her! She sounds like an awesome dog, and I'm impressed by her trick list. She's really smart. :)
    Dogster, MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  5. southerngirl Honored Member

Thank you and yes she is an awesome, smart girl. Of course Remi and all the other DTA dogs are awesome too.:)
    Dogster, MaryK and Mr-Remington like this.
  6. MaryK Honored Member

Missy is awesome:love: And has a VERY impressive trick list:love: Don't forget, the more calm and confident you become when walking her, the calmer and more confident, less reactive, she'll become! Your energy flies down that leash like lightening:) You're doing a really fantastic job with her, keep up the good work.:D(y)
  7. Dogster Honored Member

Great trick list!!! Very impressive!!:D I loved reading Missy's story.
    Mr-Remington, MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  8. Dlilly Honored Member

I think it's great you've had progress with her reactivity. :) And she knows a ton of tricks! :0
  9. Gordykins Experienced Member

Thanks for rescuing Missy! She sounds like such a good girl... she is so lucky to have found somebody as devoted as you to care for her.
  10. southerngirl Honored Member

Thank you.
  11. southerngirl Honored Member

Thank you. As you know having a reactive dog can be frustrating, but the littlest progress is really rewarding. I can't wait to hear about how your meeting with the trainer went on your blog.
  12. madeleine Experienced Member

I sure do loveeeee missy :)
    648117, Mr-Remington, Dogster and 2 others like this.
  13. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

Missy really lucked out when you found her; she got a wonderful home!!!!

She is a beautiful girl and she clearly blossomed with you and your family!
    648117, MaryK, Mr-Remington and 2 others like this.
  14. southerngirl Honored Member

Thank You. And I feel that I'm the lucky one she's helped pull me through some tough times in my life.
    Dogster, 648117, jeanniecogan and 2 others like this.
  15. MaryK Honored Member

Dogs are wonderful aren't they. They're always there for us, no matter how tough life gets or how down we are, they extend their paws and love and make us realize that life's not so bad after all.
    Dogster, 648117, jeanniecogan and 2 others like this.
  16. jeanniecogan Well-Known Member

What a doll and what a great story. And what a list of tricks.
    southerngirl likes this.
  17. brody_smom Experienced Member

So how does your dad handle Missy? I ask because our Brody( also a Border Collie mix) is reactive to my husband, who is not a dog person, but was kind enough to let the rest of us get one. Brody reacts every time Dad gets up and moves around, does a silly dance or sings. He will move toward Dad, growling and barking. I have asked Dad to feed him or offer him treats for obeying a command, but he would rather just ignore him and hopes the situation will resolve itself. I have taken to either preempting the behavior by offering treats when Brody is quiet when Dad comes home or comes downstairs, or rushing to the rescue when Brody starts to bark or growl because Dad has gotten out of his chair to get a cup of coffee.
    MaryK likes this.
  18. southerngirl Honored Member

My dad doesn't pay Missy any attention really, except once in a blue moon he'll pet her. Missy just runs to my room tail tucked between legs if my dad is yelling whether it's at her or not or if he tries to call her over to him to give her food. For Brody get him to offer another behavior every time your husband does something that he would react at. Such as when your husband starts goofing off have Brody sit and watch you or go to his space(can be a blanket that's laid out of the way) and lay down. Try to have treats close by so that they are there when you need them. If you can't get Brody's attention try getting him further away from your husband so he's under threshold and work with him there.
    MaryK likes this.
  19. blacknym Experienced Member

nice list of tricks! :)
    MaryK and southerngirl like this.
  20. southerngirl Honored Member

So I finally found a pic of Missy's first accidental litter.
    [IMG]
    From Left to right. Freckles(Now Snoopy), Sweetie, Follower, Little One(Thor), Rowdy, (Curious(Domino)RIP) So it's hard to see Little on because he is so small but he is right beside Domino's arm.
    Here is a pic of Domino all grown up and Sweetie(I'll post another one of Sweetie later)
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Dogster and MaryK like this.