Make Your Own Dog Clothes And Related Items

southerngirl

Honored Member
Started on making Missy's backpack girly. I got one dragon fly sewn on and know I'm doing her name. I'm doing the decoration on the first side and using the third design and for the name the second side on the brown part I'm using red fabric paint.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Rouen, very good points, I will remember those(y):). I guess if I think like saddle packs on a horse, I would on the right track with back packs on a dog?

MaryK

Honored Member
Started on making Missy's backpack girly. I got one dragon fly sewn on and know I'm doing her name. I'm doing the decoration on the first side and using the third design and for the name the second side on the brown part I'm using red fabric paint.
Can't wait to see it all finished! Missy's going to be a real Fashionista all her friends will be wanting the same:LOL:

Red paint on the brow, excellent choice(y)

MaryK

Honored Member
Yeah, but there are dogs who are more squarey looking. I've never got a "she/her" when walking Hosen, for example. Everybody notices he's a male.
And yes, Winston is like a cat! Sleeping 20hs/day!
Yes LOL I guess some dogs look more masculine than others, even if they're gals. Actually, I don't think the dogs themselves give a toss really what people think. Just so long as we love them, that's all they care about:D

rouen

Experienced Member
Thank you Rouen, very good points, I will remember those(y):). I guess if I think like saddle packs on a horse, I would on the right track with back packs on a dog?
With dogs you want the weight on the shoulders, not on the back. Their backs are not strong enough to withstand a load. You also dont want anything riding directly on their spine this is why a well made pack will sit more forward and have paniers on either side. A good pack also allows for proper movement.
Dingo's pack is a Kelty Chuckwagon. At the time I bought it it was the only one locally available.

You can see it sits forward, I'd prefer it to sit more on his whithers but it's not likely to cause him trouble where it is.
Ruffwear has put a lot of work into their designs, the approach is what I consider one step better than the Kelty.

You can see that pack sits on the dogs whithers, the weight is on the shoulders and supported by the front limbs. There also appears to be no interference with movement.

If you compare those two to the Outward hound style;

You can see the weight is on the dogs back, there is no structural support for the load where the pack is sitting. The position of this pack likely allows for a lot of play(side to side movement) as there is no support to stop it from swaying.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Rouen for both the explanation and pictures. I can understand and clearly see what you are saying and also the difference in the top two photos and the bottom one (Outward hound). Just looking at the photo it even LOOKS uncomfortable. Where as with the top two, especially the second, looks very comfortable, as if the dogs are not even wearing a back pack. Really appreciate your help and advice, as back packs are new to me and I sure do not want to do any harm to my boys!

MaryK

Honored Member
Totally cool, well done Southerngirl. I love how you've put her name on it too, it really looks so special and Missy looks absolutely ADORABLE wearing it!:love: