Make Your Own Dog Clothes And Related Items

MaryK

Honored Member
Have been having a discussion on making back packs for dogs.

As some dogs are not 'standard' size it can be hard to get a good, comfy fit, not just for back packs but coats and clothing in general.

Anyone got some good patterns, ideas for making dog related items?

southerngirl

Honored Member
So I'm not making something I'm just personalizing Missy's back pack. Here are some pictures of what I might do. which on do you like to most?
117_0080.JPGFirst side 117_0081.JPGsecond side. Let me know which size you thing I should put her name and which side I should put the decoration.
First side? If you think this side is better for the decoration, which decoration is your favorite?
117_0082.JPG 117_0083.JPG 117_0084.JPG 117_0085.JPG
Second side
117_0086.JPG 117_0087.JPG
For the name Glitter(blue or green) or fabric paint(red)? Big name stencil or little one?
117_0088.JPG 117_0089.JPG

MaryK

Honored Member
Hey that's going to be one FANTASTIC dog pack - lucky Missy:D(y) She'll be a real fashionista all the other dogs will be sooooooooooooo jealous:giggle:

My preferences are to put the NAME on the SECOND side, because there is only one logo on that side and therefore her name will stand out best. My color choice would be the BLUE glitter because it matches the blue in the decorations and glitter - well a girl likes some bling:D in the large lettering, as I tried to 'imagine' size wise by counting along the letters i.e. 5 in both sizes and the large looked like it would fit well.

On the FIRST side, the decorations of my choice are the FIRST and THIRD, leaning more towards the third because I love pink and Missy is a girl:D Plus adore Dragonflys and I think they look super either side of the logo, symbolically it's like she's 'off flying into the into the free wild world' outward bound:D

Do let us know what you decide, because it's going to be one really super dog pack(y)(y):D

And I want to see Missy modelling it of course when it's finished:D

Pawbla

Experienced Member
I have my local rescue organization make my stuff. Not backpacks because they are complex, but simple stuff like walking belts, leashes, collars, harnesses, etc are made by them and customized for my dogs. They are cheaper then usual stuff and the profit goes to the rescue dogs!

MaryK

Honored Member
I have my local rescue organization make my stuff. Not backpacks because they are complex, but simple stuff like walking belts, leashes, collars, harnesses, etc are made by them and customized for my dogs. They are cheaper then usual stuff and the profit goes to the rescue dogs!
That's a brilliant idea(y) I'm going to pass that along to the Rescue Shelter where Ra Kismet came from. They are NO KILL and non profit, the only monies they get are from donations. The cost of the dogs and cats doesn't even cover the vet bills, micro chipping etc. I'm sure someone would be able to make simple things as you have said.

Thank you(y):)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank you MaryK for your suggestions. They're very helpful.:D I will defiantly let yall know what I decide and of course there will be pictures. I try to keep all of Missy's stuff pink or purple so that everyone knows that she's a girl when they see her.:p After the pack is done I'll look like a girls pack instead of a guys.
symbolically it's like she's 'off flying into the into the free wild world' outward bound:D
I love that.:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you MaryK for your suggestions. They're very helpful.:D I will defiantly let yall know what I decide and of course there will be pictures. I try to keep all of Missy's stuff pink or purple so that everyone knows that she's a girl when they see her.:p After the pack is done I'll look like a girls pack instead of a guys.

I love that.:love:
I keep all of Ra Kismet's stuff blue, so people know he's a boy:D Have had a number of people say he's 'too pretty to be a boy' or actually ask what is HER name :eek: So he's in all blue:p only color blind people now will ask if he's a girl!!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
I keep all of Ra Kismet's stuff blue, so people know he's a boy:D Have had a number of people say he's 'too pretty to be a boy' or actually ask what is HER name :eek: So he's in all blue:p only color blind people now will ask if he's a girl!!
People ALWAYS think Winston is a girl. He has a light blue collar and blue poop bags, but his leash is black. Still, only like 1/16th of the people I meet notice he's a boy. It doesn't help he's neutered! And sometimes people say the same, 'he's too pretty to be a boy'! I guess people expect males to be more "square looking".

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Yes, I guess that's the case, people think boys should look 'square or butch':rolleyes: Ra Kismet is also neutered, probably doesn't help either:( I sometimes say he's a SNAD - Sensitive New Age Dog - just to confuse them:):p
:ROFLMAO: I'd pay to see the face of those people!

MaryK

Honored Member
Thinking our boys are all trained using Positive Reinforcement, stands to reason they have softer more gentle looks about them, they're TOTALLY happy dogs:D No need to look all 'butch and macho' they're well adjusted and confident!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Yeah, but there are dogs who are more squarey looking. I've never got a "she/her" when walking Hosen, for example. Everybody notices he's a male.
And yes, Winston is like a cat! Sleeping 20hs/day!

rouen

Experienced Member
People often think Dasy is a boy, even with her pink step in harness. :rolleyes:
These are probly the same people that think Dingo is a pit.
As for back packs, Dingo has issues with chafing under his arms, because of this I had to find a backpack that wouldn't rub that area. I am picky when it comes to anything that wraps around his chest, even had to modify some harnesses for him. Also improper weight distribution can cause spinal injury. So that's a couple things for you to consider in your quest for a design.