Looking For A Good Dvd. Please Help With Recommendations Please. Much Appreciated Help! :)

ackerleynelson

Hi everyone, This is my first post, So let me start off by saying HELLO! My name is Derek. And I have a 1 year 2 month old boarder collie mix rescue dog named Magic.

Id also like to apologise in advance if I may be a big confusing or repeat myself, beacuse I am not quite sure how to describe what I am looking for. So please bare with me.

Anyway, He is a HUGE jumper. and I have been wanting to teach him how to do tricks.. Right now he knows basic commands like sit, stay, high-five, Jump, and I have been working on having him jump though a hula-hoop.. His hoop jump is about 3-4 feet high, and his vertical jump is about 5-6 feet high as of now. And he runs as fast a a bullet. This dog can run like the wind. Which works out great because I have an acre back yard with a nice inclined hill for him to fly up and down.

I intend to get into some agility classes with him, but due to health reason for myself, that is going to have to wait. (I have crohns disease, almost died back in Nov, and have been confined to laying in bed ever since then, and this dog has been my crutch to lean on this entire time, My girlfriend had left me, lost my job, moved back to my parents, and just had my life ripped out form under me. And this dog has stepped up to the plate and been there for me like no other. I love this dog more than anything in this world. and Id love to start to work with him more now that I am starting to get back onto my feet.

For now I really want to work on some cool kinda "Show-off" tricks with him out in my back yard on my own. Again, Im not really looking for basic tricks, but more "cool" kinda cocky-showing-off tricks...

So I was hoping that someone could recommend some good videos / DVD's (Better yet a whole series or course) that will help train me, to train him to do some pretty amazing tricks.. Id love for him to be able to catch flying disks, Jump on my back when I hunch over, Play dead, Roll over, all the way up to doing extreme tricks. (lots of tricks that involve running and jumping and burning energy, I am guessing this would be the best for him and his breed because he s a herding dog and needs the physical and mental stimulation to burn off his extreme amount of energy.

I have watched a "leerburg" training dvd set my friend gave me, that covered a lot of basics as far as explaining different collars, and tools, and basic obedience things... which was great, but im trying to get my hands on something a little more "Entertaining".

Would anyone have some recommendations on a good DVD that has some great training advice for show-off tricks?

Thanks a ton to any help that anyone can provide!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome!!! I would also go with southerngirl. A number of tutorials are available for tricks on youtube. You just have to type any related keyword and you will get a number of results...
All the best!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Kassidy is right, you can still use a clicker, just make sure you 'charge' the clicker. The box clickers are quite loud, so I would try one of those.

Good idea, peas are an excellent training treat. I also buy organic treats for my two, easy to use, no mess.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Really, you should pick a few easy tricks and go from there. The more tricks your dog learns, the faster and more tricks he will learn. I teach my dogs foundation tricks first, listed below, and from there move on to more advanced tricks. What I do is when I see a cool trick I then decide to teach it, I don't really have a big plan, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Foundation Tricks:

Sit, Stay, Lie down, come, Leave it, Watch me, Steady (stay still)

Speak, Nose Target, Paw Target, Item Target (target stick, sticky note, a lid, ect.)

Paw target --> Shake hands --> Wave paw --> Beg
(One way of teaching beg is to teach the dog to wave both hands)

Sit + Speak + a bubble wand= Blowing bubbles!
(You teach your dog to bark at the wand and he blows bubbles!)

Nose Target ball --> Push ball --> Soccer or bowling!
(By teaching your dog to first target a ball, you can then teach him to push a ball!)

dereksmagic

Really, you should pick a few easy tricks and go from there. The more tricks your dog learns, the faster and more tricks he will learn. I teach my dogs foundation tricks first, listed below, and from there move on to more advanced tricks. What I do is when I see a cool trick I then decide to teach it, I don't really have a big plan, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Foundation Tricks:

Sit, Stay, Lie down, come, Leave it, Watch me, Steady (stay still)

Speak, Nose Target, Paw Target, Item Target (target stick, sticky note, a lid, ect.)

Paw target --> Shake hands --> Wave paw --> Beg
(One way of teaching beg is to teach the dog to wave both hands)

Sit + Speak + a bubble wand= Blowing bubbles!
(You teach your dog to bark at the wand and he blows bubbles!)

Nose Target ball --> Push ball --> Soccer or bowling!
(By teaching your dog to first target a ball, you can then teach him to push a ball!)

OH MAN! THIS IS AWESOME! You laid it out for me! (what can I say, Im research lazy :/) But I like to type up a storm! I think thats why Id rather type long posts asking tons of questions rather then research them myself... ok thats off topic lol.

Anyway. Thank you to EVERYONE for ALL of the great tid-bits of advice.. My dog isnt too much of a picky eater, so ill try the canned goods.. I was thinking even like the canned "Vienna?" sausages cut into little chunks, Maybe even some hebrew national hotdogs? I know he would go nuts over that more then green beans or anything. haha Do you think that should be ok?

Sorry I didn't get back on here and reply sooner, I had a trip to the emergency room. bah... (Crohns disease)