Learning To Take/hold A Dumbbell

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you great vid(y) I like the fact it shows the 'beginning' stages of how to teach a trick. So useful, as I sometimes wonder 'where/how to start' and 'what to expect first time trying'. When to click/treat as in, Huntyr only just touched the dumbell - click/treat (well 'good boy/treat':D). And I'm a 'vocal' trainer too:D

LOL Huntyr has Ra Kismet reactions - big YAWN and the 'mule' look:D head turns away:rolleyes::D

Dogster

Honored Member
Nice video!!!(y) He doesn't look to interesed in a dumbbell. If he loses interest, I would suggest to do the "hold" trick using a blanket or a sock, very appealing to a lot of dogs.:)

sara

Staff member
Oliver looked exactly the same way. it took me FOREVER to get Oliver past the point you are in the video... but then one day, it clicked and he now will hold an object while doing other behaviours... patience is the key to this one! LOL

huntyr

well Huntyr is the type that you cant do any one behaviour very many times in a row. (actually I attempt to only do each behaviour 5-6 times).
If I attempt to do many more than that, he stops and looks at me like, "again? didnt we just do that? lets move on... geeze"
I hope he learns to hold it. I have a few items I want him to learn off of that behavior, including "trick or treat", carrying his treat bucket. lol
We will plug along.

MaryK

Honored Member
well Huntyr is the type that you cant do any one behaviour very many times in a row. (actually I attempt to only do each behaviour 5-6 times).
If I attempt to do many more than that, he stops and looks at me like, "again? didnt we just do that? lets move on... geeze"
I hope he learns to hold it. I have a few items I want him to learn off of that behavior, including "trick or treat", carrying his treat bucket. lol
We will plug along.
I can relate to that Ra Kismet is just the same if I try to repeat tricks he's still learning more than a few times. Once he's totally 'got it' he's happy then to repeat the trick and even offer it if he's not sure what I want.

What I do is work on the new trick a few times then change to doing ones he knows really well. That way I avoid the 'not that one again Mom' look. And he's feeling very pleased with himself. It's important to always leave your dog (or any animal) feeling positive and very pleased with themselves.

This is just my personal opinion, others more in the know will probably be better at giving a reason, but I think when the dog is learning a new trick, especially if they don't 'get it' quickly, a bit of frustration creeps in. Dogs really want to learn and please us, so when they cannot 'get it' quickly, it's a real pain in the proverbial to them. So they get stubborn. It's not naughtiness, just plain 'fed up with trying'. As we get at times when something just 'doesn't work' for us.

When this happens I do as Jackiemutts suggested, leave the trick alone for a few days then go back and try again. It's worked with my boy. It gives time for the trick to 'sink in' as I am certain they think about it afterwards.

That's not the easiest of tricks either, so it may take some time for Huntyr to really 'get it'.

He's a smart little chap, so he will get it, in HIS time not yours:D He's got to figure out exactly what you want - you already KNOW what that is - he doesn't:unsure:.

You're both doing so well, am absolutely certain he'll get it and be showing off in a vid very soon the 'perfected trick(y):D And please video Huntry showing off too:D