keeps eating his poop!!

tiesto

Can someone please help! my staffy pup keeps eating his poop. i reward him wen he leaves it alone & punish wen i c him eat it, it was also suggested 2 try pineapple but he loves it! how can i stop this?!:dogunsure:

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Clean up after him immediately every single time he goes - that will eliminate the possibility of his eating it. He can't eat what's not there. You also don't want it to become a habit. Also, start training a good solid "leave it" - and if you see him start to eat it (because you haven't cleaned it up) ask for a "leave it" - and of course, if/when he does (leave it), reward him heavily - then get it picked up immediately!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
As usual, JackieNmutts is right!
My dog USED TO do this, but doesn't now, it CAN be trained out of the dog, using the 'leave it" cue.
somewhere is a thread on how to teach "Leave it", if you do not know. If i can find it, i'll post it for you, it's not hard to teach.

Me, i think i taught that, starting in the house, by putting a not too exciting treat in front of him, "Leave it", and rewarding him if he did NOT eat it.
then i advanced along to more and more tempting treats.

then i did this outside. (For my dog, ALL tricks/cues are way harder for him to do outside).

then i began to say "Leave it" about poop. He got the idea pretty readily, he understood.

IT CAN BE DONE!! HANG IN THERE!!

happypineapple

My dog used to do this too!!
Sprinkle chilli powder (not too much!!) on all his droppings and wait.. He'll never touch poo again.

xena98

Experienced Member
hi my dog use to do this and I tried all these cures that didnt work but the one that did work was giving my dog 5 or 6 pumpkin seeds in there food. Dont ask me why that would work but it did. You buy them from the health food shop as well
cheers
Danni