Jack - Little House On The Prairie

Discussion in 'Dog Breeds' started by Gracegeorgina, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Gracegeorgina Experienced Member

I never watch A little house when I was little, but recently came across a still from the show.. I have fallen in love with Jack! I may start watching it now just to see that dog's face :D
    I'm sure he is a mutt of some kind, but I was wondering what breed you think he may be a mix of? I've inserted one image, but you can find more online..
    image.jpg

2. charmedwolf Moderator

He actually looks like a Lhasa Apso mix.
    [IMG]
    If you trimmed the beard a little you'd get pretty close to Jack I'd say. Also when the hair is shorter it tends to curl more.
    Gracegeorgina likes this.
  3. Gracegeorgina Experienced Member

I never thought about Lhasa, but I think you could be right! Maybe crossed with a havanese..?
  4. charmedwolf Moderator

Crossed with either Havanese, Shih tzu, or Coton de Tulear I should think.
  5. southerngirl Honored Member

Ahh I loved this show when I was little and still watch it sometimes. Jack was an awesome dog and I was sad when he passed away on the show. He really does look like a Lhasa Apso mix. I forget, about where did he come to on one of the adults on the show. That way we know the relative size of him.
  6. brody_smom Experienced Member

In the book, Jack was a French Bull dog. The one on the tv series was bigger than a Lhasa apso or Shih-tzu, some kind of terrier mix. I can't imagine a Lhasa or Shih-tzu being much use to a pioneer family, other than to keep them warm at night. Not gonna scare away too many bears or mountain lions!
    southerngirl likes this.
  7. sara Moderator

By his size, I would expect he is a sheepdog or a bearded collie mix. He is about the size of Oliver, maybe bigger.
    southerngirl likes this.
  8. southerngirl Honored Member

after looking at pics. of the Bearded Collie I agree with Sara. He really resembles one. Bearded Collie mix
  9. brody_smom Experienced Member

Thinking back to all the tv shows I watched growing up, pretty much every dog was a bearded collie of some sort. The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Little House on the Prairie. There were probably more. Can anyone else remember some?
  10. southerngirl Honored Member

Yeah I'm no help on this one, I've never heard of The Partridge family and have only watched The Brady Bunch a few times.
    brodys_mom likes this.
  11. brody_smom Experienced Member

Ask your parents!
  12. sara Moderator

Hahahahaha