Jack - Little House On The Prairie

Gracegeorgina

Experienced Member
I never watch A little house when I was little, but recently came across a still from the show.. I have fallen in love with Jack! I may start watching it now just to see that dog's face :D
I'm sure he is a mutt of some kind, but I was wondering what breed you think he may be a mix of? I've inserted one image, but you can find more online..
image.jpg

charmedwolf

Staff member
He actually looks like a Lhasa Apso mix.

If you trimmed the beard a little you'd get pretty close to Jack I'd say. Also when the hair is shorter it tends to curl more.

Gracegeorgina

Experienced Member
He actually looks like a Lhasa Apso mix.

If you trimmed the beard a little you'd get pretty close to Jack I'd say. Also when the hair is shorter it tends to curl more.
I never thought about Lhasa, but I think you could be right! Maybe crossed with a havanese..?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Ahh I loved this show when I was little and still watch it sometimes. Jack was an awesome dog and I was sad when he passed away on the show. He really does look like a Lhasa Apso mix. I forget, about where did he come to on one of the adults on the show. That way we know the relative size of him.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
In the book, Jack was a French Bull dog. The one on the tv series was bigger than a Lhasa apso or Shih-tzu, some kind of terrier mix. I can't imagine a Lhasa or Shih-tzu being much use to a pioneer family, other than to keep them warm at night. Not gonna scare away too many bears or mountain lions!

sara

Staff member
By his size, I would expect he is a sheepdog or a bearded collie mix. He is about the size of Oliver, maybe bigger.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Thinking back to all the tv shows I watched growing up, pretty much every dog was a bearded collie of some sort. The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, Little House on the Prairie. There were probably more. Can anyone else remember some?