I Need Help With My Dogs Behaviour

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: NO NO not at all, not you, amateur! You can and do like posts by various members!! on a regular basis, too! I think of it as a supportive thing to do to other members, in a way, adds to the overall good feeling of the site, imo.

KibasMom

This sounds like a hard dog. The thing is, you should introduce him to dogs slowly. Buying a clicker for a dog like this is definitely a good idea. You should get a friend or two with a dog to help you out. Start by (this should probably happen after he gets better with the leash training) having your friend walk across the street with you with their dog and walk him by. When your dog spots the other dog you click and treat and then have your friend walk past and out of sight. You'll need to keep doing this day after day because it's all about repetition. Soon your dog might be calm and he'll associate seeing other dogs with getting a treat. You'll need to do this first before you actually work on approaching a dog, you have to associate him first with seeing a dog means getting a treat. It's definitely going to have to be baby steps with a pup this aggressive.

KibasMom

Btw, I don't know if anyone mentioned but there are leads out there that prevent the dog from pulling. It's a leash and there's a loop that goes around the dogs snout area. Then when they are trying to pull it stops them and pulls their head to the side and they are unable to pull without being stopped. I think time after time of trying to pull and that happening would teach him that pulling also means stopping, you should think about investing in a collar like that for your dog

Sleepysleepy

This does sound hard.

The videos and advice that Pawtential gave you looks great. I would definitely review and implement her suggestions. I would even go so far as to say get a chair and root yourself that way (I read that in an article by Sue Ailsby). Read a book if you need to to pass the time. Just let him wear himself out. If you're worried about him choking himself, maybe use a harness. I know harnesses are supposed to encourage pulling, but I would rather that my dog not choke himself or damage his trachea.

What kind of exercise does he get? Excess energy would not be helpful in your situation. Can you play fetch or frisbee with him to burn some of it off? Swimming? Anything else?

I would also try to give him some mental stimulation. Clicker training and dog tricks or obedience. Start with simple stuff like sit, but he might enjoy some more complex tricks as you advance. Try to capture a natural activity that he enjoys and make it a trick. Or maybe a spin or roll or walking on his hind legs. Other mental stimulation might be puzzles. You can make a simple one with a muffin tin and cups over the holes with treats in some of them. Or you can give him a plastic soda/water bottle with treats in them that he has to get out.

Does he have a Kong or something to chew? Some dogs like to relax with some good chewing. You could try a Kong with some peanut butter inside.

How do you feed him? Maybe you should try the zen method, I believe it's called. Feed him piece by piece from your hand. He has to calm down and sit and not mug your hand for the food. It will take quite a bit of time, but at least he is interacting with you. You don't really do anything but wait for enough calmness to give him that piece.

If he were not so dog aggressive, I would suggest agility. Agility is a great way to build a connection. You can contact your local agility school and ask if they have any advice or classes that you and he might take. (I have had more success with my agility school than with local trainers in helping with problems.)

Just brainstorming here. I don't know what is appropriate for you and your dog, since it can really vary. I hope others have more suggestions for you.
Thank you Ray & Harry

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
uh oh ... I guess I've been forgetting to give Tigerlily positive reinforcement after I clicked :whistle::LOL:
OMD - I just about spit milk out my nose laughing at this!

So what is the deal with likes - sometimes I get likes on stuff that I wouldn't think was particularly helpful so I was unsure of what their purpose is?

Sleepysleepy

Hi Ray and welcome. You've been given so much fabulous info, not sure that I have anything more to add. Only more words of encouragement. I also have a dog-aggressive dog. I have (well, HAD) the German Shepherd version of yours. I know I'm her 3rd home, not including the shelter or the rescue org (so does that count as 5?) I had that terrifying German Shepherd who'd spot another dog a block away, and who'd be up on her back legs, snarling, barking, lunging, etc - totally terrifying to everyone (including me - cuz I kept thinking .. what if she breaks lose?). I knew I couldn't go it alone, and found the most fabulous positive-reinforment training facility. We went thru what's called "Feisty Fido" classes - classes for aggressive dogs and their owners. It was the best thing we ever could have done. She'll never be a dog-park dog, but we take wonderful walks in the neighborhood, at the beach, etc. I'm telling you this to give you hope. Please don't think this is your life. It's not.

Where are you? If we knew where you were (exactly), perhaps we could help you find a training facility or trainer similir to the one I went to, who offeres a similar type of class. In it you'd learn to read Harry's body language, how to manage all kinds of different situations, different behaviors to teach Harry which will help him out in the world, etc. In the class, dogs are also worked with trainers and other dogs, all learning how to cope in the presence of other dogs and humans (since some dogs have people issues, some dogs have both). All dogs are worked "under threshhold" - meaning, under that level at which they aggress. In the class, dogs aren't stressed to the point of aggressing. The whole point of the class is to give people the knowledge to manage their dogs, and set dogs on the path to learn how to cope in the world.

Let us know where you are, and we'll see what we can do. And you - take a deep breath. Help is on the way!!!
Those classes sound great I live Manchester M21, UK

Sleepysleepy

To Everybody who posted back, I am overwhelmed by everyones support and ecouragement. Im currently sat in the office at my desk and all i want to do is leave work immediatel, drive home and just o running or playing with Harry- no lessons, no teaching just a full on play session (calm before the storm lol) If he knew how many people were talking about him hed be well chufffed, he loves the attention.
I have started my change direction techinique over the last week as posted on my very first post from Pawtential Unleashed (Thank you Very much) and this is starting to work and although the neighbours think im going mad, harry is not yanking on his lead, Ive also changed my walk route, so I now have random walks every day twice a day. no walk is ever the same route. I bought him a happy harness (the girl in pet store called it this) which has helped me tremdously as his little neck is not been chocked as when he does pull or go for other dogs the harness braces his whole body which makes me feel alot better knowing he is not being physically hurt. He is getting his 15 minutes dog training every night im currently working on high fives so i will let you all know how that goes haha

Still no joy with a trainer but will keep looking.
Once again I will keep posting with questions and advice and i will keep yu updated.
Again I Cannot thank you enough for the boost and encouragement these posts have given me, and anyone who tells me different in the park will get it between the eyes.

Thank you every one and speak soon.

P.S have posted pics of Harry so you can all see the little monster for yourself ;-)

Attachments

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
RAY! I'm so so encouraged you sound like you do have some hope, and i sure hope you noticed how many of us agree that Harry's issue is NOT your fault. I know you will hear that, the entire time you live with Harry, but, his issue is not your fault.
You CAN make Harry BETTER
or
WORSE,
but Harry IS who Harry IS.
and what a CUTE lil bugger he is, dawg, he couldn't be any cuter if you paid him to be!! No wonder you are crazy about him!!

Yes, yes, even teaching Harry tricks, any trick,
is going to be a great starting point, for both of you!!

and yes, with so so many things to work on with Harry, a no-pull type of harness or head-halter is helpful for you right now, cuz if any dog needs his walks, it'd be Harry!!:ROFLMAO:

and yes, don't let the others get you down, you WILL get there, you can help Harry become his best possible self!!

SD&B

Experienced Member
To Everybody who posted back, I am overwhelmed by everyones support and ecouragement. Im currently sat in the office at my desk and all i want to do is leave work immediatel, drive home and just o running or playing with Harry- no lessons, no teaching just a full on play session (calm before the storm lol) If he knew how many people were talking about him hed be well chufffed, he loves the attention.
I have started my change direction techinique over the last week as posted on my very first post from Pawtential Unleashed (Thank you Very much) and this is starting to work and although the neighbours think im going mad, harry is not yanking on his lead, Ive also changed my walk route, so I now have random walks every day twice a day. no walk is ever the same route. I bought him a happy harness (the girl in pet store called it this) which has helped me tremdously as his little neck is not been chocked as when he does pull or go for other dogs the harness braces his whole body which makes me feel alot better knowing he is not being physically hurt. He is getting his 15 minutes dog training every night im currently working on high fives so i will let you all know how that goes haha

Still no joy with a trainer but will keep looking.
Once again I will keep posting with questions and advice and i will keep yu updated.
Again I Cannot thank you enough for the boost and encouragement these posts have given me, and anyone who tells me different in the park will get it between the eyes.

Thank you every one and speak soon.

P.S have posted pics of Harry so you can all see the little monster for yourself ;-)
Aw, he's a cute little monster.

Taking action is exactly what you needed to do. It sounds like you have started down the right path with Harry. Pawtential gave you excellent leash advice. And soon he'll be so good at high fives, you'll have to work on a different trick. It almost sounds like Harry just needs something to do. Channel that energy appropriately and you'll have a great dog.

Don't worry about the neighbors. As you've just learned, there are no instant magic bullets for this kind of thing. It's a process and will take some time. Remember - baby steps is the key. A little bit of improvement here and there will all add up. He may even take a step backward here and there. As long as you have a two steps forward, one step backward kind of situation, you'll eventually come out okay.

Keep us posted. I've been wondering how it's going with Harry Monster. :)

Amateur

Experienced Member
Hey I entertained my neighbourhood for months with my stubborn pig headed puppy !
Just know its for a good cause ... and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Dang he is cute though.