Hyper Ball Of Fur!!

Honored Member
It’s not actually brilliant when there are distractions or she’s tired, but what is funny is if you say ‘What’s this?’ she comes running!! I blame my dad a little because he asks her to come without giving her anything (he doesn’t seem to get the fact that she’s still a puppy sometimes) but when we say ‘What’s this?’ it’s always a bit of dropped food or a new toy or something – think that may be our new recall word J lol
Holly does this too!
At home I often use "What's this?" to call her. I usually use it when I need to call her from the other room where I can hear her being naughty but can't be bothered getting a treat or going to get her (basically when I'm being lazy) so I just call "What's this?" and pick up one of her toys or a bit of paper to present her with when she gets to me. I don't mind if she ignores the "What's this?" cue either since I never use it out of the house and it wont ruin her actual recall cue ("Holly, come") if she is being too naughty to come or if she doesn't get rewarded.
Another recall cue that she has learn't is "Tilly! come and sit on my knee!", Tilly is our cat and Holly hates it when she sits on me and anoys her until she gets off. Tilly is allowed to sit on everyone else, just not me. Holly's technique to get her off is usually to lick her ears until Tilly gets sick of it so she doesn't actually hurt the cat (and Tilly is bigger than Holly anyway)

collie23

Guessed you'd been busy and was just thinking about you and Trixie last night (my time) and here you are:D

That's absolutely fantastic that Trixie learned her homework so well, she sure is a star:love::) And that you're managing to train your dad! Loved the story and I am sure there will be many more. Big HUGS to Trixie and a gold star for being such a fabulous pupil.:love:

I know how you feel. It's hard just trying to keep up with them isn't it, they learn so quickly. You're both doing so well just keep on keeping on Trixie is obviously a very happy puppy.

Looking forward to the video, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah she'll get it one day, even Ra Kismet, who tends to be my shadow is finally realizing he doesn't need to follow me every time I make a cup of tea. I'd say we're now at about 7/10 times he follows, so there's hope for Trixie:D And Ra Kismet is 2.5 years old. Zeus has returned back to just lying there while I go make a cuppa, guess he figures I'm safe.

Great, just keep walking her, for short periods, around traffic, she'll 'get it', sounds like she's well on her way to not worrying about traffic etc.

I was thinking about the laying down. I'm not an expert on herding, not the official way, but from what I've seen of BC's in sheep dog trials they do lay down a lot on command, or go into a crouch position. So maybe this is why Trixie lays down while drinking etc. Someone with more knowledge on this will probably know the right answer but whatever I wouldn't worry if she's happy that way:)

She's young and working around distractions takes a while. Ra Kismet still slips up at times, like when my partner comes home no way will he keep working, gotta greet daddy. Or he's wandering around Ra Kismet doesn't like to keep working, he's got to stay 'informed' as to what's going on.

When she's tired, I would just leave working with her, none of us work well when tired:) You'll probably only need to wait a short period before she recovers though;)

LOL well whatever works to get her to recall, that sure is a new one, but hey if it works use it. It's the 'reward' which brings her so quickly, so maybe point that out to your dad - reward when calling her etc.;) Keep training your Dad, remember he's not a dog so LOL will not learn as quickly. One day he'll 'get it'. Takes more time and patience to train the human male than dogs that's for sure. Finally got mine to realize that when filming a video get all the fussing around done before we start working, not half way through. Result our video for the Halloween trick challenge was shot in one take YEAH!!!!! And I worked with both dogs in that one. Zeus didn't miss a cue but um one who shall remain nameless did, launched an attack on the trick bag.:eek:

Yes Ra Kismet has made another move on the bait bag:eek::rolleyes: He's a little tinker and VERY persistent, never say die is my boy's motto. But the bag and I are, so far, winning(n)

Keep up the good work with Trixie you're both doing really, really well and HUGS to my fav pin up puppy:love::D
again, sorry i havent been on here in soo long. i know i've said this on every thread but im not sure which one your going to read first :) lol

Aww bless you, thank you. He was soo pleased with himself (but unfortunately hasn't done it since lol. Got the first intermidiate class tomorrow so hoping she's going to be just as good.

Thats good, i really don't mind her following me round, until she gets right under my feet cos i really dont want to tread on her.

She's brill with traffic now, doesn't bother her, although occasionally a lorry will startle her, but as long as she can see where it's coming from she's fantastic (although she can't deal with the noise of our blinds)

I'm sure the laying down isn't a problem, just dont want her getting lazy lol. not like her mum :S lol

Yeah i think distractions is going to be the hardest thing. we don't really have a room that we can shut ourselvs off in.... although now that she's allowed in my room that could be a solution.. thank you for the idea :) lol

Haha thats for sure. Her recall still isn't very good, although we're starting to make it into a game, One of us will stand in the hall and the other in the front room and just call her backwards and forwards and she gets it, but as soon as you introduce her to the outside world or a toy or anything it's gone. Definitely need to get my ass in gear and work on it but finding time is hard right now. :(
Aww bless your man, its good that he's helping you out, had to work with both dogs and a man, you sure are a good trainer!!! :)

hope you and all are well, Yet more hugs and puppy kisses from Sleepy trixie :)

collie23

Holly does this too!
At home I often use "What's this?" to call her. I usually use it when I need to call her from the other room where I can hear her being naughty but can't be bothered getting a treat or going to get her (basically when I'm being lazy) so I just call "What's this?" and pick up one of her toys or a bit of paper to present her with when she gets to me. I don't mind if she ignores the "What's this?" cue either since I never use it out of the house and it wont ruin her actual recall cue ("Holly, come") if she is being too naughty to come or if she doesn't get rewarded.
Another recall cue that she has learn't is "Tilly! come and sit on my knee!", Tilly is our cat and Holly hates it when she sits on me and anoys her until she gets off. Tilly is allowed to sit on everyone else, just not me. Holly's technique to get her off is usually to lick her ears until Tilly gets sick of it so she doesn't actually hurt the cat (and Tilly is bigger than Holly anyway)
I'm glad i'm not the only one that uses that phrase :) the funny thing is that a toy or bit of paper usually seems to be better than a treat anyway lol Haha bless Holly, i love that she licks Tilly's ears, would look like she's being nice but she has an hidden plan :p

MaryK

Honored Member
So happy you're back, thought you'd deserted us:D

*sigh* well getting the male of the human species to perform a 'trick' more than once isn't easy!O_o:rolleyes: They just don't seem to have good 'memory muscles':confused::LOL:

She'll be wonderful in intermediate class, all those new things to learn, maybe new doggy chums:D Do let us know how she goes please.

I know just how you feel about treading on her when she's following you around! Poor Ra Kismet got trodden on, and he was being such a good chap too, followed me into the kitchen so quietly and laid down didn't realize he was so close until one big YELP. I felt terrible! But he recovered quickly and wasn't hurt I think more surprised than anything:confused:

So glad she's brill with traffic now, that's awesome! With your blinds you may have to desensitize her gradually if that's possible. Click and treat when she's quiet and doesn't get upset. Maybe just lower the blinds a little at first and click the second she doesn't react.

A lazy BC???????????????? LOL that would be unusual, enough to send one racing to the vets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL: Somehow I think she's not going to be lazy at all:LOL:

Glad she's 'graduated' and is now allowed in your room, means she's learning her lessons. Kudos to you for being such a great trainer. Yes work in your room then when she's 'got it' introduce her to 'distractions' gradually. Ra Kismet almost kept training the other day when daddy came in. He ran a little way down the drive way but stopped when I called him - that's a first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep working on recall the way you're doing it she will 'get it' but some dogs, like Ra Kismet, do take longer. He's such a nosy parker he's just GOT to see what's going on over there and hey what's happening around there and wowee that looks very interesting. I still do not totally trust him in an area which isn't totally safe and he's almost three now. So don't give up hope!

LOL yes it's hard work training two dogs and a male!!!!!!!!! Dogs are easier by far, even working with the two boys and Zeus having a 'senior moment at times' is still easier than training a male. And Karma hit back big time the other night at my partner. He still at times get's 'angry' and yells, he did that and also tried to shut the door just by flinging his arm back . LOL banged his wrist pretty badly poor thing is now 'injured' LOL didn't get any sympathy from me as he shouldn't have been yelling at the dogs and banging on the door! He did have the grace to look 'sheepish'!:whistle:

I know you're busy but we miss you so do let us know how Trixie goes in intermediate please pretty please:D

collie23

Of course not :) i would never lol

haha you've got that right! my dad can barely put his glasses on without poking himself in the eye, gonna have to teach him all his 'tricks'again lol
I'm sure she'll be brilliant, it's me im worried about lol i'll try to get back on here tomorrow to update you, really looking forward to it though.

It is horrible, most of the time i can hear her following me (it's a really cute pitter patter :X3:) but sometimes she's absolutely silent, i swear she can float sometimes. and as you said you go to turn around and YELP. I'm thinking of actually putting a bell round her neck... or tail :)

It's difficult with the blinds cos their right next to the door we take her out of. if your not careful you just bang into them and her ears go down and she walks away (sometimes runs). but i will try to desensitize her as it's difficult to dry her feet when she's desperately trying to get away from them.

Haha you might be right, she's getting less lazy by the day but still drinks lying down... must taste better that way :)

It's lovely to be able to have her in there, just lying all over my bed i think she really enjoys it (she barks when i go up without her.. 'mum do you think you've forgotten something...? i.e. ME!!!!'
Thats Brilliant with Ra Kismet, he must of been really into the training for it to win over greeting daddy :) Your a great trainer, so glad i can get your tips.

Haha so true. We generally whistle when were out, we split up and call her from one to the other and it seems to be working, half the time she's not even interested in the treat. just getting her to realise that coming when called is an amazing thing. It's kind of nice to know that people are still working on it after a couple of years (gives me something to tell dad lol)

I don't doubt that dogs are easier to train (they're sooo much smarter ;)) awww, bet he didn't like the no sympathy but kinda serves him right... no reason to yell at dogs, if anything he should yell at himself lol (could be funny to see to)

I will definitely let you know how it goes tonight, i bet she'll be the star of the show again :)
Thanks

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL yes sounds like you'll have to click/treat your dad when he 'gets it' with putting on his glasses:LOL:

Don't worry, we all make mistakes that's how we learn (only 'the perfect male' my partner never makes a mistake) you'll be grand just three deep breaths and remember our nerves shoot down the lead like lightening, then our babies get nervous, so we have to stay cool calm and collected cuz it makes them look even better than than already are:D

Trixie sounds (oops no pun intended) just like Rakins. I swear he too can float across the floor as I rarely hear him coming (unlike one of my cats THUMP THUMPTHUMP you can hear her a mile a way) Zeus pitty patters so I hear him coming:D Maybe a little bell is the answer, if it doesn't upset her of course.

That is tricky with the blinds. Perhaps when she's not coming in or going out, just take her as close as she can go without going over her 'scare' threshold and just click/treat her for being close. Then build to just very very slowly and gentle 'tweaking' the blinds and if she doesn't react click/treat if she does, move back a step. It could help, rather than trying to calm her dry feet etc. all at the same time.

Yep must taste better that way and LOL not surprised you're seeing another side, she's an adolescent now!!!!!! Stand back, she'll more than likely forget almost everything she's been taught (not potty training thank goodness they still seem to remember that, probably because dogs do not like to 'go' anywhere near where they eat/sleep) do the complete opposite to anything you ask. Just hang in, keep a good sense of humor (you'll need it) remind yourself she's a teenager and wait for her to suddenly recall all she did so well as a puppy:LOL:

Oooooh no way she's going to allow you to forget her. Isn't it grand, I just love my boys sprawling all over the bed, especially when Rakins wakes me up, he's just so enthusiastic!!

He was a bit undecided but he does love training and all those treats:D

You might consider getting a dog whistle if Trixie's responding better to a whistle when out. If you do use two short and one long blast - it carries better than say all short blasts or just one long one. Some dogs respond VERY quickly to whistles. If she's not into treats when out, don't worry, praise like mad:D Zeus sister wouldn't take treats for ages when she was out, she was a very nervous puppy, so I just praised and hugged her like crazy.

Thank you *blush* that's so sweet of you to say that.:)

Oh dogs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smarter than the male of the species that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!! He wasn't impressed, you know what men are like, but I wasn't impressed at him yelling at the dogs. He still hasn't 'got it' that when they have their little 'squabbles' (all noise no action variety) that it's best to ignore them totally, screeching BE QUIET etc. only exacerbates matters and escalates their little arguments. I don't take any notice of them, neither dog is physical it's mostly Zeus being a bit 'grumpy old man' (resource guarding a little too) and Rakins giving the appeasement signals, no harm to either dog. I'm still hearing 'oh my wrist is sore I cannot do any work blah blah blah ) and LOL not really giving him any attention. To be honest, I'd forgotten he'd hurt his wrist hee hee!

Of course Trixie will be the star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love: I'm so looking forward to hearing all about her first intermediate class:)

collie23

OMG!! i had almost finished replying and the window went funny - got to try and remember what i typed now lol

Thats soo true, during the puppy class we had to teach our dogs to lie down without a lure and last night they tested us, i was a little nervous and although we'd practice before we left, Trixie took ages to get it in the class. all due to my subconscious body language

Haha and i thought cats were supposed to be light on their feet?? lol I'm sure she'll just try and play with it more than anything.

Thats what we have been doing and she getting better but every so often they surprise all of us and she goes a little timid again, but luckily not running off anymore and when we're drying her feet she's not trying to get away just looks alittle worried. Just lucky that shes got such a good temperament that it doesn't affect her too much, doesn't stop her from wanting to go outside for example.

People keep telling me that and i must admit i'm not looking forward to it (if it's anything like my ongoing adolescents) lol We all (except dad occasionally) have a good sense of humour, just must remember to keep it :) lol

I can imagine the 3 of you. One dog splayed at the bottom, the other splayed at the top and you gripping for life trying not to fall off the bed. It is great though :) especially making a game out of the morning kisses :)

We do actually have, and use, a whistle but she seems to respond more to a 'personalised'whistle.
If you do use two short and one long blast - it carries better than say all short blasts or just one long one
I would never have thought of that, but makes perfect sense - might be why she's not responding as much (we have generally stuck to 2 short blasts)

I can understand completely at you not being impressed at him yelling. Just stick in there, he'll learn eventually. It probably exacerbates it because they think he's joining in lol
Haha its like another version of Man Flu. your not allowed to make a fus about the massive bruises on your leg but he can moan like hell about him hitting his wrist. :rolleyes: men!

She was good. Was sooo funny. After my mishap mentioned above, we all started working individually on the 'down'. and trixie started getting it again. At one point when mum told her 'down' she went into a bow (haven't taught her yet) 'and your bum' then she put it down. even the trainer started laughing. was soo cute :)
Luckily it was a small class, 3 dogs, so everyone got quite a bit of time. But trainers make it look soo easy don't they, trying for weeks to get trixie to do loose lead walking and she does it straight away with her lol:rolleyes:

MissyBC

Experienced Member
So happy you're back, thought you'd deserted us:D
A lazy BC???????????????? LOL that would be unusual, enough to send one racing to the vets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL:
If you want to know of a lazy BC, just talk to me. :LOL: Missy is sooo lazy in the mornings!! We've been going to bed around 11:30 - 12:00 a.m (last night). We were just getting up this morning at 11:00 a.m. :sleep:

collie23

I wish Trixie was that lazy, luckily she's learning to let us have a lie in, till about 8 then its bark...... bark..... whine :) soo cute though, as if she's deperate to get out but doesn't want to bother anyone :X3::love:

Can't beleive you got to lay in till 11!! Sooo jealous :)

MaryK

Honored Member
If you want to know of a lazy BC, just talk to me. :LOL: Missy is sooo lazy in the mornings!! We've been going to bed around 11:30 - 12:00 a.m (last night). We were just getting up this morning at 11:00 a.m. :sleep:
OMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL are you absolutely certain it was that late???? What's the secret please?? I'm allowed, with luck, a 'sleep in' until 8.a.m. after that - forget sleep!!!!!!!!!!

MaryK

Honored Member
I wish Trixie was that lazy, luckily she's learning to let us have a lie in, till about 8 then its bark...... bark..... whine :) soo cute though, as if she's deperate to get out but doesn't want to bother anyone :X3::love:

I think Trixie and Ra Kismet are sending each other telepathic messages!!!!!! He only allows me to sleep in until 8.a.m. too:rolleyes: And cannot say he needs 'to go' as my partner lets him out at 6.a.m.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm jealous too, an 11.a.m. lie inO_o

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member

My pup is same way. Its taken him quite awhile, but he will let me sleep in until about 7 or 8 and then he just barks and whines until I wake up. He will go as far as to may directly on top of me until I get up.

collie23

I think Trixie and Ra Kismet are sending each other telepathic messages!!!!!! He only allows me to sleep in until 8.a.m. too:rolleyes: And cannot say he needs 'to go' as my partner lets him out at 6.a.m.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm jealous too, an 11.a.m. lie inO_o
Haha they planned it together didn't they!!! lol Sometimes we might be lucky as my brother starts work at 6 on some mornings, and then we might get a lie in till 9 because she's been, but thats very rare.

My pup is same way. Its taken him quite awhile, but he will let me sleep in until about 7 or 8 and then he just barks and whines until I wake up. He will go as far as to may directly on top of me until I get up.
How old is he now? haha dog pile wake up? must be fun lol :)

MissyBC

Experienced Member
OMD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL are you absolutely certain it was that late???? What's the secret please?? I'm allowed, with luck, a 'sleep in' until 8.a.m. after that - forget sleep!!!!!!!!!!
I take Missy out to go, right before I take her up to bed, so she has no need to wake up early as she's gone out late... try that.

It's 12:00 p.m. here now, and she's still fine... last time she was out was at 9:30 p.m. last night. I meant to get up earlier this morning. I woke up at 6:45 a.m. and then went back to sleep til 11:10 a.m. Totally didn't mean to... but read til 1:30!! We slept in til 11:10 a.m. this morning... and I'm about to take her out now, or her bladder I'm sure will burst! She waits for me to wake up... I think that's the difference. She knows I will get to her at some point. :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I take Missy out to go, right before I take her up to bed, so she has no need to wake up early as she's gone out late... try that.

It's 12:00 p.m. here now, and she's still fine... last time she was out was at 9:30 p.m. last night. I meant to get up earlier this morning. I woke up at 6:45 a.m. and then went back to sleep til 11:10 a.m. Totally didn't mean to... but read til 1:30!! We slept in til 11:10 a.m. this morning... and I'm about to take her out now, or her bladder I'm sure will burst! She waits for me to wake up... I think that's the difference. She knows I will get to her at some point. :)
Both my boys go out last thing, I never miss on that, but *sigh* Ra Kismet still thinks I should be up and about when he wakes up! Zeus would sleep all day, bladder permitting, but not Ra Kismet.:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
He is 9 months, and at first it was cute and fun, but now he is 47 pounds. I can't breathe half the time he does it. lol
LOL and add to that all the doggy kisses, breath??? we don't need to breath do we??? Know what you mean, I get 21.7 Kilos of dog landing with a jump right on top of me, you wake up FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
LOL and add to that all the doggy kisses, breath??? we don't need to breath do we??? Know what you mean, I get 21.7 Kilos of dog landing with a jump right on top of me, you wake up FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankful mine doesn't have dog breath:D I brush his teeth every other day so it's nothing too bad. I always feel like I'm being attacked when he jumps on me.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thankful mine doesn't have dog breath:D I brush his teeth every other day so it's nothing too bad. I always feel like I'm being attacked when he jumps on me.
Neither does Ra Kismet, but Zeus who's keen on kitty krunches (and we've barricaded the litter boxes but he's now demolishing the barriers) unfortunately doesn't always have the sweetest smelling breath. I clean their teeth, Ra Kismet hates it but Zeus suffers it and boy he NEEDS it 24x7!!!!!!!!! LOL never feel like I'm under attack but boy, shock waves when fast asleep!!!!!!!!:eek:

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Neither does Ra Kismet, but Zeus who's keen on kitty krunches (and we've barricaded the litter boxes but he's now demolishing the barriers) unfortunately doesn't always have the sweetest smelling breath. I clean their teeth, Ra Kismet hates it but Zeus suffers it and boy he NEEDS it 24x7!!!!!!!!! LOL never feel like I'm under attack but boy, shock waves when fast asleep!!!!!!!!:eek:
I sleep heavy, it takes a lot to wake me. So feeling him bounce on my chest I always think someones come to kill me. :p Chance has bad breath, so I tend not to get kisses from him LOL