Hybrid Kibble + Raw Diet.. Does Anyone Feed Both?

CarmenR

Hi,

Just wanting some opinons on feeding half raw and half kibble diets (or some other ratio). I have read that you should do one or the either as they digest at different rates and can cause stomach/digestive issues (my guess is that as raw contains bacteria that a dog can handle due to their short digestive times, though kibble takes upto 12 hours to digest whilst raw 4 hours, mixing both would create a high chance of the dog getting food poisoning [half educated guess stab in the dark]).

Well currently I feed a hybrid diet of mostly kibble (Wellness) twice a day. Though 2-3 times a week I give Luna either raw mince with a bit of chicken liver and a meaty bone (such as turkey neck, beef tail, lamb ribs or a lamb femur) or I feed her premade barf patties). My main reasons for doing this is for the dental benefits of bones/I do believe raw is healthier than kibble and I guess maybe some raw is better than none. I can't go full raw as I do not have enough freezer space and I don't seem to have enough time to search high and low for cheap meat prices.

So basically I am feeding raw due to what I believe are added health bonuses. But then on the same hand i've read (usually from prepackaged raw dog food) companies not to feed kibble as well. But I am making sure that I feed the meals 12 hours apart so that most of the kibble should be completely digested.

I would like anyone's opinion at all on this. Does anyone here feed kibble and raw? Have you noticed your dog doing better since changing just from straight kibble? OR have they gotten digestive issues?

MaryK

Honored Member
I also feed both kibble and raw. Like you, I feed 12 hours apart, i.e. six a.m. then six p.m. Haven't found any digestive problems but have found that since using raw their coats are in even better condition than before. I do lean more towards feeding raw, more days both meals are raw, again no problems at all.

Have been using bones for their teeth but since I've found a site which sells Antlers in Australia, am going to switch over and see how they work. Mainly because the raw bones attract too many ants - which bite like h*ll!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarmenR

I give Luna soft raw bones so they are gone within half n hour and if they aren't I chuck them out after an hour. Could you please tell me where you found antlers in Australia?

And yes coat is definitely better with raw!

sara

Staff member
Why does it attracts ants MaryK?
I feed raw only and find her no problems with pests
My uncle had a huge issue with wasps when he fed raw... he quit, just because of that :)

Anyway, I feed raw, scraps, kibble, canned, freeze dried... you name it. I think it's not beneficial to feed the same thing day after day, honestly. it hasn't harmed my dogs, and infact has helped Oliver immensely. He used to get sick if he got anything different, now he never does :)

MaryK

Honored Member
Why does it attracts ants MaryK?
I feed raw only and find her no problems with pests
Ants seem to come from no where here:( I've been told it's the moisture in the food which attracts them, ghastly!!!!!!!! Bones are the only food I give my dogs outside because of the ant problem. I know some people will feed dogs outside and put their food bowls into a larger container with water in it, but I don't do that, prefer to feed inside, no ants!!!!!!!

CarmenR

Wow $22 dollars is steep for an antler! I am a silly Australian so could someone enlighten me onto why they are better than bones (other than the messy factor) I am guessing these can be chomped on inside the house? Any other reasons why they are preferred? safer? how long do they last? Also Luna doesn't chew things that are tasteless eg rubber chew toys so do they still have the 'I taste yummy factor'. Actually wait do these guys smell at all. Once i got bully sticks and they smelt disgusting.

Sorry for the 100 questions :oops:

Though from what Sara and Mary K have said it seems safe to continue feeding my hybrid diet.

Also on a side note how do you quote other people? lol

Dogster

Honored Member
Wow $22 dollars is steep for an antler! I am a silly Australian so could someone enlighten me onto why they are better than bones (other than the messy factor) I am guessing these can be chomped on inside the house? Any other reasons why they are preferred? safer? how long do they last? Also Luna doesn't chew things that are tasteless eg rubber chew toys so do they still have the 'I taste yummy factor'. Actually wait do these guys smell at all. Once i got bully sticks and they smelt disgusting.

Sorry for the 100 questions :oops:
Shivon loves the antlers. They're safer because they don't chip, and it takes a long time for dogs to chew them and get the marrow out. This way dogs can chew antlers indoors. I find that when Shivon gets a new antler, it's hard to get her to stop chewing it for the first few days, lol.:rolleyes:

CarmenR

Oh it would be handy being able to give Luna an antler to chew on in her crate. Do these smell at all? Once I got bully sticks and the smell made me gag. Had to keep Luna outside and throw her one while I ran back inside. I then had to avoid her for a bit Incase her breath was stinky. Ended up just throwing half of them away, too bad she loved them.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh it would be handy being able to give Luna an antler to chew on in her crate. Do these smell at all? Once I got bully sticks and the smell made me gag. Had to keep Luna outside and throw her one while I ran back inside. I then had to avoid her for a bit Incase her breath was stinky. Ended up just throwing half of them away, too bad she loved them.
It depends what you get. Some smell, others don't smell at all. I would recommend getting them from a store, not online, to make sure they don't smell. Plus, you have to pick an appropriate size for your dog because some are too hard to chew through.:)

CarmenR

Hmm not from online could be difficult as I have never ever seen them around here before. Deer , moose or elk or any of those antler type animals aren't so common here in Australia. To be honest I am suprised MaryK has found somewhere to source them. Oh well might give them a go and hope for the best. How large are the ones you give to Shivon?

Honored Member
The brand of antler that I get for Holly and Lewis is "Ziwipeak" (I'm in New Zealand), they don't smell at all but it doesn't look like you can get the antlers in Australia.
http://www.ziwipeak.com/

You might be able to order some elsewhere from NZ (since there are a lot of deer here :LOL:) , although you would have to check that it is alright to import them since they are an animal product.

It really does amaze me that there seems to be a lot of products that I can get in NZ but seem to not be available in Australia, I always thought it would be the other way around.

CarmenR

Postage would be a lot of money/it probably wouldn't make it through customs. I may as well try the place in Australia first. If they smell terrible... well Luna can eat her bones outside. Those ziwipeak dog treats look good I might try and see if I can get them in Aus.

Honored Member
Postage would be a lot of money/it probably wouldn't make it through customs. I may as well try the place in Australia first. If they smell terrible... well Luna can eat her bones outside. Those ziwipeak dog treats look good I might try and see if I can get them in Aus.
I haven't seen the other treats at the petshop that we go to so I don't know if they are good.
Here's the link to the antlers:

http://www.ziwipeak.com/ziwipeak-oral-health/

Maybe if you get one that looks similar it wont smell,