How Long Do You Spend Training Each Day?

How Long Is Each of Your Training Sessions?

• three 15 minute sessions each day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • three 30 minutes each day

• 60 minutes each day

• three 60 minutes each day

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luckydogwhisperer

Before Lucky's CCL injury (and surgery), we trained off and on for several hours a day. :) It was probably actually a little too much...he usually started getting bored towards the end, and I should have stopped before he got bored. We would usually train tricks for a couple sessions of 10-15 min. or so each per day, and run agility for about 25 minutes or so total (including any time it took me to adjust the course, warm him up for about 5-10 min. (should have done more of a warm-up), run him a few times, reward/treat/play for a few minutes, and cool down/get a drink for a minute or two).

Now, Lucky and I are in the post-op rehab stage, so our training is mostly tricks that help him build muscle (sit pretty, SLOW circles, stand-sit, SLOW heeling, etc.), and lasts about 4 or 5 min., and we train 3 times a day or so.

Once Lucky and I are back at agility (fingers crossed), we'll probably train tricks for about 20 min. or so per day, and run agility for only a couple seconds (with a 10 or 15 minute warm-up) twice a week or so, so I don't over stress him. :)

And, of course, right now we're conditioning for about 20 min. a day with walking/trotting on the flat and walking up hills, and it's going to gradually become more and more. :)

Great to hear about how much everyone else trains! Sorry to rant so long! ;)

MaryK

Honored Member
Loved your 'rant':love: It's good to know how you and Lucky are working on his rehabilitation.

How is he going now? Sure hope he's better soon and back to his beloved agility.:)

You've reminded me, do more warm ups!!!!!!!!!!

Luckydogwhisperer

He's doing really well right now. :) He LOVES going out for his walks/trots and LOVES trick training in our family room, so I can tell that he's obviously not in any pain. :) It's amazing to see how much better his gaiting and going from sitting or lying down to standing have gotten. :) It's miraculous! :D We found some REALLY GREAT exercises on the internet...I'll post the links when I get the time to look through my bookmarks and figure out which is which. :) Remind me to organize my bookmarks more often... :ROFLMAO:

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm absolutely delighted to hear how well he's doing:D Nothing better than a happy ending story:D:love:.

That he LOVES trick training really does show he's not in pain, fantastic!!!!!!!:D

It is a miracle that's for sure.

Oh do please post the links, it's always good to have links to great exercises for rehabilitation, even though we all hope and pray we never have to use them.

LOL do it now go organize those bookmarks:ROFLMAO: Your bookmarks sound like my partner's, seek and if lucky, you just may find what you're looking for!:confused::rolleyes::oops::)

madeleine

Experienced Member
That's one tough question you have there.
Agility training is or one or two houres a week.
Trick training daily and depends on the progress on the day. Sessions are always short and are repeated.
Always 2 or more sessions a day... And that also depends on how many tricks there are on the to-do list..
sessions last to 10 minutes, though easy and quickly learned tricks only last up to 5 i believe.
But then there is all the other behave-as-a-good-reased-dog stuff, like walking on the leash without the pulling part. And these are a bit hard to count. So uhm i'm still not sure what to anser.

MaryK

Honored Member
That's one tough question you have there.
Agility training is or one or two houres a week.
Trick training daily and depends on the progress on the day. Sessions are always short and are repeated.
Always 2 or more sessions a day... And that also depends on how many tricks there are on the to-do list..
sessions last to 10 minutes, though easy and quickly learned tricks only last up to 5 i believe.
But then there is all the other behave-as-a-good-reased-dog stuff, like walking on the leash without the pulling part. And these are a bit hard to count. So uhm i'm still not sure what to anser.
So sorry I made it tough:D:rolleyes: But you've answered really well:D(y) I think we all tend to overlook, when counting time spent on training, all the behave-as-a-good raised-dog stuff, like tonight with Ra Kismet, his first Christmas Party, lights disco, santa, LOL all new training for him and have to say, he was quite a hit!

MaryK

Honored Member
Much like MaryK, my dog Toby loves to train for an hour, but Hannah needs them to be kept short, as in 5 or 10 minutes. Which makes it very hard to try and train both dogs.
Can relate to it being hard to train both dogs. My older dog Zeus would, if I let him, train for ages, but he's getting on a bit so I have to take it easy with him. I often shut him inside, with a treat or two, after he's done his training. He's quite happy about that thank goodness:)

madeleine

Experienced Member
last week I had a doggy dance workshop. It started at 10 o clock and lasted till 16.00.
Normaly we have short sessions when we train at home. But here we were all put into groups so there was some
cathing your breath time inbetween the training parts. However I wanted Dazzle to stay quiet when we're waiting so we did some 'behave as a good dog' training.
Dazzle did extremly well! She stayed focussed the hole day and didn't even look tired at the end. Even the instructor noticed that!!

Think we can kick up the training sessions with two different tricks in one session, so we can train longer. This way it won't get boring and if I keep in mind what kind off tricks they are she won't get confussed.

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow! Madeleine that's one very long day and congratulations to Dazzle and yourself for making it through with such aplomb!(y)

Good idea, does sound like you can kick up the training sessions. I do some with Zeus first, his is short as he's older but with amazing focus. Then a session with both dogs, then with Ra Kismet alone. Keeping in mind which trick is the 'tricky' part, so the boys don't get confused.

madeleine

Experienced Member
Thank you. I was very surprised myself she pulled that off.
Hihi now I think I need a training schule. There are so many nice tricks to learn!
I prefer to put one body trick and one item trick in one session. And if I can't come up with a good combination off these I just put an almost got it trick with a completly new trick in one session. Or atleast two completly different item tricks...
For now that would be the suitcase and the hoop together. And the paw cross and the spacifer together. In between the tricks a short play time minute and off the next one.

It sounds fun to do training sessions with both dogs!!

madeleine

Experienced Member
Offcourse I shouldn't have said how good went on the workshop.
Tonight we had one lesson from the same instructor and now Dazzle was way less concetrated.
So we did some very usefull foces exersices and this did help a lot.
Going to try to catch her focus now way more often, and add distractions so we improve on that bit

MaryK

Honored Member
Offcourse I shouldn't have said how good went on the workshop.
Tonight we had one lesson from the same instructor and now Dazzle was way less concetrated.
So we did some very usefull foces exersices and this did help a lot.
Going to try to catch her focus now way more often, and add distractions so we improve on that bit
LOL isn't that always the way Madeleine. Ra Kismet will do that to me, does all his tricks perfectly, until you go to video him, then he's as naughty as can be:rolleyes::D

I work on focus all the time, Zeus is great, always has been but Ra Kismet can be distracted at times., though he's fine with just Zeus and me around. We do a little easy trick work when out walking, things he can do on his lead, and this is helping with his focus.