How Long Do You Spend Training Each Day?

How Long Is Each of Your Training Sessions?

• three 15 minute sessions each day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • three 30 minutes each day

• 60 minutes each day

• three 60 minutes each day

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaryK

Honored Member
Just interested to know how long each day everyone spends training their dogs. As Ra Kismet, after a 60 minute training session, was still asking for more training! I was stunned when I realize we'd spent 60 minutes and he still wanted more.

I don't make him train this long, he asks to train and train and train, it's me who calls a halt. And when I do he looks so woebegone it isn't funny. Is he 'obsessive' about training or normal?

And yes, he does get loads of play time and walks every day too!

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
Ow! :) 60 minutes!!!!! I don't think Laika could focus for so long....
I train everyday about 30 minutes on the end afternoon. If I train earlier she gets tired faster (it's hotter and she's not very used to it), if I train on the night she is a bit over excited about training and spends more time running around.I know it's not good to put a regular time of the day on the training and it's good to do several trainnig sessions each day, but that's what happens...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yeah, I think Ra Kismet is 'obsessive' about training and this means you're doing a very very very amazing job on his training:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

southerngirl

Honored Member
I train Missy every day sometimes more than once for however long she's interested, when she starts getting aggravated because she can't figure it out I end the session with a trick she knows.

Dogster

Honored Member
I train every day, or I try my best to do so....:)
If I'm just practicing tricks with Shivon, usually a 10 minute session is enough. But when I'm teaching a new trick, I try to have a 15 minute session with her, or 3 10 minute sessions, to keep it fun, and not frustrate her.:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Ow! :) 60 minutes!!!!! I don't think Laika could focus for so long....
I train everyday about 30 minutes on the end afternoon. If I train earlier she gets tired faster (it's hotter and she's not very used to it), if I train on the night she is a bit over excited about training and spends more time running around.I know it's not good to put a regular time of the day on the training and it's good to do several trainnig sessions each day, but that's what happens...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yeah, I think Ra Kismet is 'obsessive' about training and this means you're doing a very very very amazing job on his training:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ra Kismet has amazing focus (better than mine at times), but if it's a trick he's unsure about he will 'shut down' so I ask him what he wants to do and he gives me another trick. Then we go on with other tricks for that session.

I have the same problem with the heat. Neither Ra Kismet nor I enjoy this very hot weather, so I too have to train around the same time, late afternoon but we can do evenings too.

Thank you:)

MaryK

Honored Member
I train Missy every day - all day pretty much off and on. Especially at the park when out for our first walk.
How lucky to be able to train in a park, I'm soooooooo jealous:D We do a little 'training' on walks, just simple things like sit pretty, to get him used to working with distractions.

MaryK

Honored Member
I train every day, or I try my best to do so....:)
If I'm just practicing tricks with Shivon, usually a 10 minute session is enough. But when I'm teaching a new trick, I try to have a 15 minute session with her, or 3 10 minute sessions, to keep it fun, and not frustrate her.:D
I do the same with a new trick, keep the time short, otherwise Ra Kismet also gets frustrated. Then he likes to practice all the tricks he knows LOL I think he's a show off:rolleyes::LOL:

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you everyone, so lovely to know how you all train. And you all have such fabulous dogs too. Everyone one of you are amazing trainers:love::D

orpheum

I train my dogs (3) maximum 1 hour/day, so roundabout 20 minutes/dog. This also includes some play time in between. So the actual training is less.
I use a max of 10 treats with a dog, after that this dog goes to his place and another dog comes to train, than the other one and back to the first. So a lot of "resting" in between. This helps my dogs to stay calmer during training, but by seeing the other one work it also builds drive.
After training there's one dog that's like yours (done allready ??), so we always close down with a play session or a walk to get some of the energy out.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I train my dogs (3) maximum 1 hour/day, so roundabout 20 minutes/dog. This also includes some play time in between. So the actual training is less.
I use a max of 10 treats with a dog, after that this dog goes to his place and another dog comes to train, than the other one and back to the first. So a lot of "resting" in between. This helps my dogs to stay calmer during training, but by seeing the other one work it also builds drive.
After training there's one dog that's like yours (done allready ??), so we always close down with a play session or a walk to get some of the energy out.
I was going to train Missy this way too, but I don't have the Shelties in the house anymore = 3 dogs... so can't do that. Sounds like a great idea when you have more than one dog! ;)

*Maybe I'll see if I can borrow Jasper and Freckles (the Shelties), one of these days! I'm sure their owners wouldn't mind as I did look after them faithfully for 8 years straight! :D

MaryK

Honored Member
I train the two dogs together at first but only for a very short time, Zeus is a mature dog and has Cushings. However I have to put him inside when I start training one on one with Ra Kismet, otherwise he kinda 'wanders' into us, think he's definitely having 'senior moments' as he once had a really good stay. (I am working with him on that but well.......).

I do that too with Ra Kismet if I'm exhausted LOL from training, take him for a walk to work off the excess energy. or a play session or even both! I want a transfusion of his energy genes!

SD&B

Experienced Member
At the moment, we are in the process of moving, so I'm doing a few short sessions a day. But when we're in full training mode, we can easily go a full hour or more. I also train 2 dogs at once and take turns with them. It gives one an opportunity to rest, but that one is also building desire to train. When I first began, I had to work hard on teaching Barney to keep his position, but now he's keeping it beautifully. Just in that regard, he's learned a lot. They both love training. Sundog, especially, has incredible focus. They don't seem to want to quit training either. I am the one who calls it quits.

MaryK

Honored Member
At the moment, we are in the process of moving, so I'm doing a few short sessions a day. But when we're in full training mode, we can easily go a full hour or more. I also train 2 dogs at once and take turns with them. It gives one an opportunity to rest, but that one is also building desire to train. When I first began, I had to work hard on teaching Barney to keep his position, but now he's keeping it beautifully. Just in that regard, he's learned a lot. They both love training. Sundog, especially, has incredible focus. They don't seem to want to quit training either. I am the one who calls it quits.
Glad to know I'm not alone with hour long + sessions:D Can understand with moving though, hard to find time for anything, so kudos you manage short training sessions(y).

I am working with Zeus to keep his position but I think he's having 'senior moments' of late:rolleyes:. So when he wanders too much, that's when I put him inside. Otherwise he does distract a little too much, plus did once get 'rolled on' when we were doing roll over:rolleyes: He's happy to go inside, with more treats, and leave his energetic young bro to keep training alone once he's had his one on one time and worked on duo tricks with Ra Kismet:D

Gracegeorgina

Experienced Member
Right now, as Poesie is still very young (about 14 weeks) we just do one minute a couple of time a day. She is currently learning to walk on her back legs (and succeeding :D) so I don't want to do too much as I don't want her to get hurt.

MaryK

Honored Member
Right now, as Poesie is still very young (about 14 weeks) we just do one minute a couple of time a day. She is currently learning to walk on her back legs (and succeeding :D) so I don't want to do too much as I don't want her to get hurt.
Yes puppies only have very short attention spans. Poesie is doing really well for such a youngster:D(y) I keep sessions short and sweet when they're very young. Ra Kismet is now 2.5 years old, but LOL still thinks and acts like a puppy except for his focus:LOL: But when he was a puppy I think his focus was even shorter than the proverbial goldfish!