How Do You Teach "get In"

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks' started by Evie, Jan 15, 2013.

1. brody_smom Experienced Member

Evie sounds a lot like Brody. He does not get very excited about training, unless it's something active, like weaves or spins. Then he almost gets over-aroused, he acts like he doesn't want to do the trick, barks a couple times, then does it perfectly and really fast. We tried doing the "get in" up close to a wall and it worked as long as we stayed there. As soon as we moved away from the wall, he would sit about a foot away and at an angle or even facing my side. He is very difficult to fine tune for many of his fairly well-known cues, like sits and downs. He doesn't seem to get the "raising the criteria" idea, and shuts down when I stop treating for sloppiness or slowness, so we're always back-tracking. Then he gets bored and walks away.
    Evie likes this.

2. Mutt Experienced Member

Maybe some dogepuzzles are an idea to play with him so he learns to think more for himself?
    As for 'get in': try using a target mat and reward for looking forward (to prevent facing you)
    brodys_mom and Evie like this.
  3. brody_smom Experienced Member

Tried the mat idea, but we were using a mat for some of his settling exercises from "Fired Up, Frantic and Freaked Out", so now when I pull out the mat, he thinks he's supposed to relax on it. I tried using different mats or folding up a towel, but he seems to think I want him to pick it up and carry it away if I don't click him for lying down on it. I'm trying to do more shaping to get him thinking, but most of the time he offers me behaviors that I have never clicked for, like barking, scratching and biting. I'm considering adding a no-reward marker, much as I don't really like them, but he might need more feedback, at least for a while.
  4. Mutt Experienced Member

Maybe its a good idea to just leave it for a while.
    Untill the setteling is fully "done" for instance so you can use that mat.
    If I really get stuck that usually works for us :)
    brodys_mom likes this.
  5. brody_smom Experienced Member

You're probable right. I'm having a hard time coming up with doable tricks right now. I've been trying to concentrate on basic commands, but those can get boring so I want to mix in some more fun things. We were doing the elephant walk with some success, and I had seen a video about how you can use that to teach a good heel as well. Maybe I'll go back to that and see if it works any better.
    Mutt likes this.