How Do You Get Your Dog To Go In The Water?

Dogster

Honored Member
Don't worry, you're not alone.;) Shivon wouldn't go far into the water either. You can lure your dog into the water with a toy or treats that he really loves. Maybe he'll run after the toy into the water if the water is shallow. I'd say your best bet would be treats. Grab a handful, (you have to go in with him) and keep giving him treats and lots of praise (you can even use a clicker if you want to. You can find more advice here: http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/teaching-your-dog-to-swim.4651/

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Hi Doglover1234

Where have you tried to get your dog to swim? The best place is somewhere outdoors with a body of water that does not have waves (so not an ocean) and the dog can walk in gradually. Kiddie pools, bathtubs, etc. don't work well because of this. A lake, pond, or pool with long steps into a shallow end is best. Streams can work well too.

If you have already tried a lake/pond/pool/stream, try it again but go in there yourself. This will encourage the dog to follow, and also let him see that the depth is reasonable. Depth perception through water can be a problem for both people and dogs. I encouraged my dog to get further in by floating a piece of kibble on the water, and he got used to 'dunking' his nose to get it.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't allow anyone to pull, push, or throw your dog into the water as this will give him a bad experience he doesn't need.

HTH!

doglover1234

I have tried to have him go into as tream and he liked that it is just he hates beaches or oceans or lakes. How do I get him into those?

Dogster

Honored Member
Go on a day where there are no waves, then you can try what I and what A&C said.:) Make sure the water isn't deep, cuz it scares many dogs. If you have or know someone with a pool, you can try in the pool. If your dog has trouble swimming, you can get him a lifejacket. :)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Veronica never cared for the water either...but she LOVES her boyfriend Socrates.

She'll follow him anywhere and her attitude is "whatever you can do, I can do better"!...even if she was previously scared to death of it. :LOL:

If your dog has a doggy friend that likes the water, maybe just take them to the beach or a shallow pool together and see if your dog gets into the spirit of things by watching the other dog.

madeleine

Experienced Member
Dazzle was already swimming before I even saw the water.
My boyfriends dog had to learn how to swim though. He went into the water himself with the dog to show him that it is okee. Next time he threw a toy in the water to motivatie the dog to swim and get the toy back. Third time his dog was swimming by himself with three other dogs in the water. And the fourth time his dog was the frist dog to get into the water.
He's three years old, woud't get his belly wet before this, and he's swimming about 2 months now.