How Do You Get Your Dog To Go In The Water?

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by doglover1234, Aug 9, 2012.

1. doglover1234 Active Member

Murphy won't go NEAR the water, how do you get your dogs to go in?:unsure:
    MaryK likes this.

2. MaryK Honored Member

Fraid some dogs just refuse to go in the water. With my two cannot keep Ra Kismet OUT of water and Zeus - he'd rather commit suicide than get his paws wet. I've tried everything, including his great love FOOD and he still will not go into water.:(In 11.5 years he has only ONCE got his paws wet and that was by accident:D My partner, fortunately, captured that memorial moment on camera so I do have a pic to prove he DID ONCE get his paws wet. He almost went into shock when he realized his paws were wet:eek:

I guess maybe try food, special toy, throw something into the water like a ball or a stick but from experience with a water hating dog, nothing so far has worked:(I could drown and all Zeus would do is bark from the safety of the shore line:D

Sorry I cannot give you much encouragement:( You may just have to accept, as I have with Zeus , that Murphy's another water hating dog:(:)
    Pawbla and Dogster like this.
  3. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

Veronica wouldn't go near the water either...until Socrates her boyfriend (and her only doggy friend in the world) walked on the beach with her and he walked into the water. She trotted in after him like it was the most natural thing in the world. :D

Now she goes in just fine. I don't swim, so she only goes in as far as I do, but she still seems to enjoy it on a hot day.
    Dogster and MaryK like this.
  4. MaryK Honored Member

That's beautiful Jazzy and Veronica:love: She must have great trust in Socrates to follow him without a second thought. Fraid it hasn't work with Zeus, maybe he needs a little lady friend to help him:)
    JazzyandVeronica and Dogster like this.
  5. bekah1001 Honored Member

6. 648117 Honored Member

Holly didn't really like water until she saw other dogs go in, now she will go into shallow water on her own (up to her belly).

But today at the dog park she was very close to jumping into the deep water. A lab X was playing fetch and its ball was getting thrown into the water so the dog jumped in (dock-diving style) and Holly was very close to giving it a try herself. Maybe next time she will :)
    Adrianna & Calvin, Dogster and MaryK like this.
  7. sara Moderator

Oliver learned to like water, after previously not sticking his big toe in (he HATED getting his feet wet LOL) when I took him to a lake and went in myself. The lake is HUGE and very shallow, and it was a hot day, so the water was nearly bath tub warm. After he decided the large waves weren't going to kill him, I cant keep him out of the water! LOL
  8. 648117 Honored Member

This is what Holly does at the dog park at the moment. She doesn't actually swim but she will go in the water and depending on what other dogs are around she sometimes goes in more than in this video.

Adrianna & Calvin, Dogster and MaryK like this.
  9. MaryK Honored Member

Holly is doing better than Zeus(y) He'd just be doing the end part, where she runs off like crazy:ROFLMAO: He firmly believes that swimming or water is definitely for the fishes, not dogs!:eek:
    Dogster likes this.
  10. sara Moderator

Ha ha ha that's hilarious!
    MaryK and Dogster like this.
  11. Dogster Honored Member

MaryK likes this.
  12. GEORGE'SDAD Well-Known Member

what worked for me was just as simple as throwing a tennis ball in the water and BAM! My boys rushed in like it was nothing!!!
  13. MaryK Honored Member

Afraid Zeus doesn't chase after balls:( His attitude towards balls being thrown anywhere is 'you threw it so you go get it':D LOL I've given up, one water baby is more than enough:D
    Dogster likes this.
  14. Dogster Honored Member

Shivon plays a "half fetch". She'll chase it, but she will NEVER bring it back. Sometimes she plays, "keep away".:rolleyes:
    MaryK likes this.
  15. 648117 Honored Member

16. MaryK Honored Member

Dogster likes this.
  17. MaryK Honored Member

18. rouen Experienced Member

I found the real deal maker was the PFD. Without it Dasy has trouble keeping her butt up, she plashes, gets water in her nose and has a horrible time. With the PFD she swims like a champ, she'll follow me into deep water, she'll chase sticks.
    Dingo has always been a belly deep boy, especially if he's hot. I have gotten him to follow me out into deep water a few times with his PFD, he's afraid of deep water without his PFD though.

19. MaryK Honored Member

LOVED the vid! dasy's tail priceless!:D And what a glorious location too!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dogster and rouen like this.
  20. Dogster Honored Member

Off topic, but there's a dog at the dog park that looks exactly like Holly that really LOVES to fetch.:D
    MaryK likes this.