HOT DOGS--keeping dogs COOL in the summer

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Cooper has right idea.......dawg, it's been weeks since we have had a day that didn't spike to over 95 degrees now, it was over 100 for many days in a row here....... today, it will hit 104..... I should count up how many days in a row that my town has topped 100, but i dont' really want to know.

and it's only "cooling off" to about 85 at night, dang.:(

and that is just the degrees, not the "heat index"<--------- which is how hot it "feels like", due to humidity etc.
My neighborhood usually walks all their dogs about 5 to 6 pm
but in this weather, the dogs aren't being walked til about 8 or 9 pm now:ROFLMAO: ...or later. (it's still light outside til after 10 pm )
The 10 pm dog parade........:ROFLMAO:

Poor Buddy, is getting wetted down with hose every few hours now, each time he goes outside, or for a walk, we hose him, at least around his neck, chest, and spine, saturating his fur down to his skin itself, it's ONLY way he can tolerate this type of heat. He is sooooooooo used to it now, he even walks TOWARDS the hose when we turn it on now.
wow, does this make his fur soft soft soft....wow. I saw some thread about it is mud that makes fur soft, but, i think it is water. Buddy's fur feels like a show dog right now,:LOL:
from water every day.

He dries off so so so fast though, so fast. :(

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Calvin will be pleased to know that he has caused the thread to veer off in such a manner! My cat Dillon wants everyone to know that, just as he can wear sunglasses, so too can he expose himself maximize cooling:
IMGP2051.JPG

(and yes, that orange button is what he uses to take his coat on and off. I asked him already.)

Unfortunately, last year, Dillon's twitter was hacked and some nutter sent out a photo purporting to be of him:

Photo0250A.jpg

I told him, it had better not be him, because I don't work hard all day to come home and look at cat jingles!

sara

Staff member
HA HA HA HA HA you all are HILARIOUS!!!

Oliver doesn't really like the heat, but it's cool in my house, so I just make sure to walk him early or in the middle of the night.... unfortunately for me, the skeeters are really bad at those times:rolleyes:

Mouse wants to bake herself in the sun... she'll hang out in the sun, even well into the mid 30's C

Oliver does not sleep upside down... ever that I've seen. Mouse and Boo will though :) Scout and Zoe are too lady-like to sleep like that :p

sara

Staff member
OMD, here we have an extreme heat alert.:eek:

It is soooooo hoooot, ugh!!!
Shivon hasn't been on a proper walk or to the dog park in 2 days!!! It's even hot in the evening...
It was about 35, 36 degrees C, which is about 95 to 97 degrees farenheit, plus the humidex.:( And Shivon cannot tolerate heat....:(
HA HA HA HA My sister posted on Facebook that she was moving to the artic... something about 44C (111F) with the humidex :eek: My Mom`s thinking the weather in Alberta isn`t so bad after-all :ROFLMAO:

We're looking at some fairly warm weather, but no humidex. 31C (88F) tomorrow and monday, then 28C (82F), 29C (84F) and 29. So not horribly hot.

Dogster

Honored Member
HA HA HA HA My sister posted on Facebook that she was moving to the artic... something about 44C (111F) with the humidex :eek: My Mom`s thinking the weather in Alberta isn`t so bad after-all :ROFLMAO:

We're looking at some fairly warm weather, but no humidex. 31C (88F) tomorrow and monday, then 28C (82F), 29C (84F) and 29. So not horribly hot.
Very funny.:cautious: Yes, that is how hot it was:eek: Planning a vacation up north....:rolleyes::LOL:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
omidawg, Adriana's remark about the hacked twitter account made me spit out my coffee, rofl!!
:ROFLMAO::LOL::):p
tooooooo funny!

Yes, i think we DTA members should all head up to Sara's place for the summer! Sara, where we come!! Oh, how i'd love a 85 degree day, wow....sounds grrrrrrreat!

Yeah, mosquitos, i wear citronella oil, or Avons Skin So Soft bath oil. The scent seems to make big enough circle of "anti-mosquito" that i don't see any skeeters on Buddy either. I have put that SkinSoSoft onto Buddy in places he can not lick it off (like neck chest, etc) when i will have him in woods, it is also a tick-repellant).

Dogster

Honored Member
I forgot to read the posts above. facepalm.
Adrianna, LOVE your remarks about Calvin!!! HILARIOUS!!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Shivon does the same thing as Mouse, I think they're related.O_o:LOL::confused::ROFLMAO:

GEORGE'SDAD

If it's too hot for George, he will sit by the fridge staring at the freezer until someone gets him a couple ice cubes, then he will go lay on the air conditioning vent in the dining room. Then Max and Kita will want ice, so I give them each a cube, Max goes into the kitchen and lays in front of the vent, and kita will go in the living room and lay on a vent. Then if the air conditioner shuts off, they all look at me like I broke it!:rolleyes:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
TO GEORGE'SDAD----------ROFL about the dogs looking at you like it's YOUR fault if the A/C goes off!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

//"If it's too hot for George, he will sit by the fridge staring at the freezer until someone gets him a couple ice cubes,'//

WHAT A BRILLIANT DOG!! i have always wanted my dog to do that, but my dog thinks ice does not exist,:confused: unless he SEES or HEARS some first, and then---wa-la! Ice exists again!:confused:

YOUR DOG IS SOOOOOOOOOO SMART, GEORGEDAD!

GEORGE'SDAD

he just got used to getting ice EVERY time i went to the freezer, and figured "If I sit here long enough, someone will get me ice..." then when you get up, he gets all excited and starts jumping around like a bouncy puppy with the look of "OH BOY OOOHHHH BBBOOOOOOYYY!" Cutest thing EVER!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Still George, that is one brilliant dog,
as my dog can signal when he wants food,
and he can just about point to where he knows new toys are stored away for boring days,:LOL:
he can let us know when he wants to go out to pee or wants to go for a walk,
he can indicate any number of things to us,
but
no matter how many times we open fridge and give buddy an icecube, he never ever signals he wants ice. Oh he loves ice!:D but near as we can tell, to Buddy, ice does not exist until he sees it....odd.:(
your dog is smart, George'sDad!!

GEORGE'SDAD

I just hope George learns as fast and as enthusiastic as Buddy!!! I would love to meet him one day I LOVE BC's as of recently. My cousin has one, and there are two new ones in the IDAPI program here at the prison I work at!