HOT DOGS--keeping dogs COOL in the summer

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Veronica LOVES sprinklers!!

Problem with hoses is she can easily wet US down with them. You literally cannot take out a hose for yard work (as my poor hubby was trying to do) because Veronica will "attack" the hose non-stop; even if you soak her with it..and unfortunately in the process you get soaked too!! :rolleyes:

I mean you CANNOT make her go away! Blast her right in the face and she's like "Oh yeah, THAT's what I'm takin' about; BRING IT ON"!!!!! Crazy dog.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol!! TOO FUNNY!!
you know, Jazzy, you *could* teach a "leave it" for the hose.:ROFLMAO:
It's not nearly as hard to do as you'd think.
Also, you could desensitize Veronica to the hose, as well, so she doesn't completely lose her little doggie mind to it,:ROFLMAO::LOL: if you wanted to.
if you wanted to..

but then, there'd be no more "Veronica and The Hose" shows:LOL: in your yard...

Evie

Experienced Member
Tigerlily, it can reach up to 113F here during a bad summer. And it's not uncommon to have an entire month of 100+F

But we don't have any humidity. It's just outright hot. I think Evie's going to melt lol, she gets hot in the middle of winter after running around and feels the needs to go for a swim to cool off..... AND she doesnt even have a double coat.. .. ....

bekah1001

Honored Member
Veronica LOVES sprinklers!!

Problem with hoses is she can easily wet US down with them. You literally cannot take out a hose for yard work (as my poor hubby was trying to do) because Veronica will "attack" the hose non-stop; even if you soak her with it..and unfortunately in the process you get soaked too!! :rolleyes:

I mean you CANNOT make her go away! Blast her right in the face and she's like "Oh yeah, THAT's what I'm takin' about; BRING IT ON"!!!!! Crazy dog.
My dogs hate the sprinkler but they love dirty water to swim in:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
LOVE Veronica and the hose!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Shivon has a little doggie pool that she goes in, and she likes to swim in lakes if it's really hot. Otherwise, she won't.:rolleyes::cool:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
IT'S IMPORTANT TO KEEP DOGS HYDRATED IN THE SUMMER!! They lose a lot of fluid with all that panting,:unsure:
cuz dogs don't sweat.

I can't remember now, by page 4 of this thread, :rolleyes:
if i have posted this tip yet or not,
but, whenever i boil meat,
i save that broth,
skim off all fat,
and serve my dog a cup or two on hot days.
Once, i mistakenly filled a large water bowl with the cooled broth, and thought if he doesn't drink it i will toss it out in a hour or so before it gets germs growing in it...........
but Buddy drank the whole, entire bowlful. :eek: all at once, in one sitting.:eek: which alarmed me, and i kept him really quiet rest of day, i did not expect him to drink ENTIRE bowlful.
I live and learn.
now i only set out 1 cup of the cooled broth. Unsalted, unspiced
PLAIN broth-water a great way to get fluids into your dog.

My dog is lousy water drinker, imo, but, truly, i am not entirely certain how much water per day he does drink.............
Buddy has multiple bowls of water, which all of us all refresh and refill many times a day, so, it's just anyone's guess how much water he does drink per day.:rolleyes:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
by the way Evie, your temperatures are staggering:eek: ....but, yes, a dry heat IS much more tolerable than a humid heat...mmmHmm!

........but still, 113??
and over 100 nonstop? oh wow....tell me you have a breezy area...i hope. wow...

hope it cools down at night?
LOL, we've been 95 to 98 all week, and muggy muggy, muggy....

BUT, it drops to 70s at night time....YESsssssssss!!!:D
and we are sort of/kind of beginning to become night-timers even more than before,
we take Buddy out at night more,
run him around at night more,
give him big long walks at night time now,
play outside with Buddy at night now,
poor dog!!! Luckily, buddy IS a bit of a nightowl himself...

Dogster

Honored Member
OMD, here we have an extreme heat alert.:eek:

It is soooooo hoooot, ugh!!!
Shivon hasn't been on a proper walk or to the dog park in 2 days!!! It's even hot in the evening...
It was about 35, 36 degrees C, which is about 95 to 97 degrees farenheit, plus the humidex.:( And Shivon cannot tolerate heat....:(

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I'm telling ya, getting these dogs WET reeeeally helps........;)

well, this person got the dog's HEAD wet, which i never ever do....but, the idea is good..
dog hose.jpg

and, if you can't hose your dog (yet)
you can put them in tub
dog hose bath.jpg
and pour it over them.....or a kidding wading pool.......

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
//My dog hates sprinklers.
He isn't too keen on his kiddie wading pool, either.
He doesn't egggzactly "LOVE" being hosed down, but he tolerates it just fine now, cuz he thinks "hose = WALK" and my dog LOVES walks!!!.......hoses, not so much.//

Sooo...you're saying Buddy does not react this way when you bring the hose out?

One of my BC's I had was like this with the hose, Tess, she tried to round it up more though... unfortunately this was before we had the great digital camera so I haven't got film of it but it was so funny! Love seeing veronica loving the hose, reminds me of my wonderful Tess!!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I have been making dog pop-sicles for Buddy.

I use most any plastic container,
and fill it with
broth (just from boiled meat, no salt, no spices, and fat is skimmed off)
or
water. Into soon-to-be-ice i drop in bits of meat, treats, too.

sometimes i make shallow pop-sicles,
sometimes bigger ones.
I just freeze this and, then usually pop the ice out of the form,
and give to Buddy, to help make sure he is getting fluids and to give something to do.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I also own an official "dog popsicle" form,
which, for some reason, my dog is not crazy about.:confused:

DOG POPSICLE.jpg

so for THAT form, i smear a small dabs of peanut-butter into form
before i fill it with plain fatfree broth,
or water,
so when it is frozen, it has some peanut butter on outer layers to help get Buddy started on it!!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Calvin says:
An afternoon siesta can be quite refreshing. Don't be afraid to scrunch back mum's covers to get down to the cooler cotton bedsheet. She'll forgive you once she sees your tiny little t-rex arms.
Photo1505.jpg

Calvin says:
To maximize heat loss one must expose one's privates to the fullest extent possible.

Photo1503.jpg