Holding For Longer

Discussion in 'Training Challenges' started by bekah1001, Feb 8, 2013.

1. bekah1001 Honored Member

I'm teaching Brody to touch the wall. I use the cue "point" and he points his nose to the wall. I just need help teaching how to hold it longer. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!
    Tâmara Vaz and MaryK like this.

2. fickla Experienced Member

I am a big fan of "reverse luring" for duration behaviors. It's a variation of "doggy zen" or "it's your choice" if you're familiar with that game. RL uses treats in your hand to communicate to the dog when he's right and when he's wrong as well as teaching the dog to actively resist the distraction.

Example: teach dog to keep chin resting on the floor for longer. Once the dog has already been trained to offer the chin rest behavior, have your hand with treats held out. When your hand is outstretched and treats visible the dog is doing right, if the dog lifts up his chin to look at the cookies, close the fist but keep your hand there. Now the dog has to actively lower his head away from the fist of treats to get a reward. As the dog gets the concept this can easily be proofed by now moving your hand of treats directly above the dog's head, zoom back and forth, etc. Palm flat=correct, fist closed= dog needs to try again.

Once the concept is taught I've used it on a variety of behaviors from a solid hold of a dumbbell to proofing foot movement on stand stays. I'll see if I can find a video online, otherwise maybe I'll make one :)

An alternative suggestion for a nose touch duration is to require TWO noses before rewarding. Before I discovered RL I taught a "sticky target" using that method. The dogs started out doing
    nudge.........nudge. click/treat
    nudge....nudge. click/treat
    nudge..nudge. click/treat
    nudgenudge. click/treat
    nuuuddgeee. click/jackpot

Basically the dogs got lazier because they knew I wanted 2 and they soon barely left the target at all before doing that second nudge and thus I had a tniy bit of duration I could reward.
  3. bekah1001 Honored Member

Wow awesome!!! Thank you so much. I never heard of reverse luring before!! I'll try both methods and see how it goes!
  4. Evie Experienced Member

I'd love to see that video Fickla if you can find it :D. I think this is definitely something Evie and I should be learning.
  5. MaryK Honored Member

Same here, that's something Ra Kismet and I need to learn.
    Tâmara Vaz likes this.
  6. fickla Experienced Member

7. MaryK Honored Member

Thank you very much!:) Easy to follow and a very effective method, especially for gaining duration.

Left a comment on your blog too.
    Tâmara Vaz and fickla like this.
  8. fickla Experienced Member

Thanks Mary. I hope that you try it and it helps more people. I can't take credit for the technique but I hope that I can make have more people add it to their toolbox.
  9. Anneke Honored Member

That's one I never heard of either. Must try this, as we also have problems with duration! Thanks!
  10. k9 crazed Experienced Member

Thank you I am looking forward to watching the video. You have mentioned this before and we started but duration is terribly lacking around here! More help is definitely appreciated!
  11. MaryK Honored Member

I tried it with Ra Kismet, who does right paw cross really well, but getting left paw cross has been harder. Used this method and he did his FIRST left paw cross today with me having to 'prompt' (point/touch left paw)! It works, my boy's very food orientated too:D
    Tâmara Vaz, fickla and bekah1001 like this.
  12. Linda A Experienced Member

MaryK and Tâmara Vaz like this.
  13. MaryK Honored Member

Thank you Linda A. Fabulous site, have been reading and watching the vids, bookmarked for future learning!

Like the idea, as Ra Kismet does tend to salivate and look for his reward and forgets to focus on what I want him to actually do!:oops: He's very food orientated!
    Linda A likes this.