Hey All!

2SpoiledAussies

First, LOVE those 2 photos! Beautiful!

I've watched some of Pvybe's videos. They are absolutely great! And Georgia Irish Disc Dogs I've seen from my favorite Border Collie breeder, Holther Border Collies! Our main problem is drive for a frisbee, he used to love them but doesn't much anymore. I've been working on it though :)

I live a little ways out of Tulsa, Oklahoma. We have only one Disc Dog Club in Oklahoma that I know of, but it is in Oklahoma City. And that's about a 2 hour drive, too long for a regular basis.

barnhill

Experienced Member
Best thing might be to step back some . Go back to rollers and tugging for awhile to work on drive.

Thanks for the kind words on those pictures. Those were taken with a 50mm 1.8 at f/1.8 focusing on the eyes so I got a nice shallow drop off on my depth of field.

CarmenR

I have that lens! Ahh focusing on the eyes! that is clever! I do have one decent one similar to yours where I focused the eyes (by accident) but the rest I focused on nose and well with a depth of field that shallow the rest of the face isn't exactly in focus. I also only just realized you could manual select which focus point to use (I only got my camera last week haha)

Thank you for all the advice I feel this welcome has turned into a Q & A session.

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome!!!!!!!:D Just love your fur kids, they're all adorable! Great photos:love: I have a soft spot for the mixed breeds, my boy Ra Kismet is mixed, there's something so cute and individual about them.

barnhill

Experienced Member
No worries! I love photography so have no problems answering questions!

Its generally a good rule to focus on the eye closest to the camera when taking headshots. Eyes are what capture the most attentiona and draw in the viewer. The Depth of field is controlled by the F stop or Aperture (and distance to your subject but thats a different matter). At F/1.8 you will have a really shallow depth of field and your focus will fall of quickly. If I want the whole face in focus I shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 depending on the availiable light.

This shot was taken with my 70-200 F/2.8 lens at 1/500 f/4.5 and as you can see most of the dog is in focus.

CarmenR

That is such a lovely photo! Thanks for the eye tip that really does make sense. Yes I finally discovered how shallow a F/1.8 was because there is this magical thing called a depth of field calculator on the net. With a 50 mm lens and a focus distance of 1 m you pretty much only have 3 cm of focus depth or whatever it is called from your focus point. No wonder half my pics were unfocused bahaha.

Who's dog is this? He or she is looking very regal here.

Dogster

Honored Member
Welcome (really late, I know!) Your dogs are all gorgeous, and your photos are stunning!!!!!:love::love: Enjoy the site!!!

Thanks for the mini photography lesson btw, I just got a 50mm 1.8 lens and I can't wait to try it out!!:)