Help Needed With Are You Shy

MaryK

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: Oh dear, Ra did an 'Evie' with the post note. After I FINALLY managed to get it to stick, a process which HIGHLY amused Ra Kismet, he just sat there, looking oh so cute, with his paws on my arm. Yep, the kid definitely has decided fluorescent post notes ARE THE LATEST fashion accessory:D I will have to use the 'sticky tape/post note' to keep the darned thing on his nose. We tried a few times but........ so more work needed here:) It was just too too funny to see him with the post note FINALLY just staying on his nose. Kid has good balance because the note stayed in place and didn't slip off until I sat him again:)

He's very curious too when I try to get the post note on his nose - which doesn't help me:( Between clicker /treats and post notes I got TIED UP - Ra was fine, just thought I'd gone a bit mad:D

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Another clicker convert!! YAH!!!

Love, love, love training with the clicker - wish more of my clients saw the usefulness...most are happy to just use a verbal marker like YES even though I swear it will be faster learning with the click - some are just not dexterous enough and others don't want one more thing to have to keep track of...but most are not as invested in training as everyone here...

Here are a few other methods of trying from another member here -

MaryK

Honored Member
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the new video, will try these idea we'll get there yet:)

Clicker training is way faster. Zeus and his sister the late beloved Tiger Lily went to a positive reinforcement school and whilst they did loose lead etc. and NO yanking, kneeing etc.etc. they didn't use clickers. Maybe clickers were not around, it was 11 and a half years ago.

So I can REALLY see the difference using the clicker, it's MILES faster than the good boy etc. Plus my boys hear 'good boy' and other endearments all the time:D

Poor little Ra Kismet spent two weeks at a terrible school, despite 'grilling' them as to their teaching methods AND getting a recommendation from someone else (another patient at the vets) they DID NOT USE one single positive training method at all. I doubt they even KNEW what it meant. We walked out and I've been re-training Ra Kismet ever since and the clicker WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made a HUGE difference:eek:

We'll get shy, he learns so quickly, it's just conveying to HIM what is required. Once he 'gets' the 'cover eyes' part, he'll be off and running as he sits and puts his paws on my arm already but so far hasn't either lowered his eyes below my arm or covered them. As Tiger Lily and others have said, some tricks the dog gets immediately and some take more time - this is our 'more time' one:D

Evie

Experienced Member
This one took Evie and I a while to master too, it was one of those tricks I ended up discarding for a month or two and then coming back to it - and then it finally worked.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks Evie, I may discard too for a while, if the latest 'technique' still doesn't work. :LOL:Will wait for Evie to show Ra Kismet how to do it:) Seriously, if he see's Evie doing it, he may just copy(y) Or at least get the 'idea' of what's required:) Plus he's working on 'retraining' with the loose lead and bite/pull stuff, so maybe he's in 'overload'.:eek:

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh dear, I think I've confused things here. I saw 'are you shy' done on t.v. and tried to replicate what that dog was doing BUT after being on this forum I can see I've made a mistake.

Looking at your photos I can see what I SAW ON T.V. was actually "say your prayers' NOT 'are you shy/cover your eyes'. Even though it was called 'are you shy'.

So at present, I need to 'switch' to 'say your prayers' with what Ra Kismet has learned so far and do 'are you shy' a bit later.

Would it be best if I stopped with him on this trick for a while, or just change the command to 'say your prayers' which I have to say is MUCH more appropriate for what I have been attempting to learn.

Thank you for showing me the difference:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you for the video:) Say your prayers makes more sense this way he can learn that first, then move onto 'shy' - which everyone had been so kind in helping me with:) All the tips for shy will NOT be forgotten:)

I'll just 'retrain' on the word cue, he should catch on very quickly as he's a very fast learner:)
And he's already 'half way there' with 'say your prayers'. I think 'shy' will be easier too, from all I've read on this forum, from the drop position. Been working on that as he 'forgot' how to do drop when he learned down/roll over - which he does PERFECTLY:D

So I did a bit of re-training with the clicker with drop, just to sort out any possible confusion in his mind, as when asked to drop - he did roll over:) He's got that straightened out now, so we can proceed with 'shy' once he's got say your prayers:)

Videos were a great help in letting me know what to do when he only uses one paw - which he is doing when I move the treat down.:)

LOL from one trick, we've moved to two, but will not progress with 'shy' until he's 'got' prayers:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks for the tip(y) It's winter here but not that cold, for me anyway, so will remember to keep sleeve pulled down - can see why - his claws are short but rough, same with pads:) He just may forget I'm human and NOT hirsute like a dog:D