Harley The....?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I've considered English Shepherd for Brody as well, although I had never heard of them before MaryK mentioned the breed as a possibility for Ra Kismet. Those last two look very much like Brody, but his ears are much droopier. Lovely breed, nevertheless. How common are they in your area?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I haven't lived here very long but it doesn't seem like they are all that uncommon. I have seen some and there are a few breeders not far from here. They are definitely lovely! When I looked up the breed, before even looking at pictures I read the temperament: bossy, independent, intelligent....lol all fitting Harley. If English Shepherds generally have her personality, I'd love to have one some day.
Brody does look very similar!

Took a couple of pictures tonight too since a bunch of the pics in this thread aren't recent.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Love that second one, lol such a character...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I HAVE A GENIUS! :cool:

There is simply no way that Harley is a dog at all. She must be some new species with uncanny intelligence. I LOVE LOVE LOVE working with her!!!
So, I recently got back in teaching group classes (I've been doing exclusively private training and board/train), and one of them is learning place/go to bed this weekend. I haven't taught this in a while, and being that I typically choose a dog to demo first, I decided to practice just in case I'd forgotten any troubleshooting tips. Harley, Daisy, and Gypsy didn't know this, so I tried it with all of them. I use free shaping to get them to get on the mat/bed/whatever and lay down, then stay there until released.

I think it's important to note that the only free shaping I have done with Harley are about three sessions of free shaping her to touch a target with nose or paws, and we recently started free shaping to put her front paws on a stool so we can begin pivot work (which is proving difficult for her--or me, one or the other). Everything else has been luring. Also, she just learned down two days ago (after one session, THREE tries--no exaggeration--she had it perfect. There have been no more reminders, refreshers, having to lure all the way down, nothing--she's got "down" down perfect with only three times of luring her down and that's IT.). She is really enthusiastic about down too, she kind of jumps into a down. Really really cute!

SOOO now to brag some more...I started free shaping her to get on a blanket. Right off the bat she put her front two paws on it. I clicked and rewarded, and the VERY next time, she walked all the way on it--all four paws. I clicked and rewarded, she did that two more times, then got on it and sat down. One more time, then all of a sudden she got on it and immediately layed down, and looked at me. I jackpotted, she did it again...and again...and again...and again! Silly trainer, end on a good note! Nooo...lol I got greedy. I started adding the cue "Go settle"...after about 5 times of giving the cue and rewarding when she got on it and layed down (which was every time--no mistakes!) she had it perfect.

Maybe it's just that I haven't ever worked with a dog this crazy smart at this level of training, but I'm stoked. It didn't even take 10 minutes for her to get this trick.

I have my next demo dog! :D

Not to write off Gypsy and Daisy, lol, I'm really proud of Gypsy. She has a tough time with shaping and she did awesome at this too. She's a smart girl too. :) Daisy...lol, oh little Daisy. She is very slow, but she got there! Daisy keeps me grounded...lol if I didn't have her to work with, I would be soooo impatient after working with the abnormal genius and the other smarties. She is definitely good for me. Daisy forces me to think of all kinds of ways to work through roadblocks. I'm proud of her too. I did not expect her to to do as well as she did with this one.

Love my pups. :love:

sara

Staff member
Awww! Genius dogs at shaping are sooooo much fun! It only takes Mouse getting clicked for something once for her to repeat it, and repeat it!... which isn't always a good thing as I've ruined alot of progress with an accidental or badly timed click! On the other hand, we've got some really funny behaviours that way too!

sweetpita

a little late to the threat... but tx_cowgirl, did you ever figure out the breed of your girl? I got my Basho at a humane society in Ohio and he was apparently born in 2011. He's about 60 lbs now, similar markings... brindle, long hair, white on the chest, etc...
20130908_121332.jpg
basho1.jpg

southerngirl

Honored Member
My friend's dad's girlfriend has a dog with similar markings and long hair. Not as dark though. I have a video I'll post later.

running_dog

Honored Member
a little late to the threat... but tx_cowgirl, did you ever figure out the breed of your girl? I got my Basho at a humane society in Ohio and he was apparently born in 2011. He's about 60 lbs now, similar markings... brindle, long hair, white on the chest, etc...
What a gorgeous dog! Do you train him much? Do the things he likes doing give any clue as to breeds that might be in his mix?