Harley The....?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Harley is our newest addition. The best guess I can come up with is Chow/Border Collie or Aussie and who knows what else. One of my husband's relatives had her and her sister, two 1 year old Lab/Heeler mixes they said. They said they didn't have enough time for all their pets and wanted to rehome Patches(as they called her). Of course, we couldn't say no. :X3:

Harley reminds me of a mixture between Zeke and Mudflap. She is moderately high drive, almost as obsessed with frisbees as Z used to be with tennis balls, loves to snuggle, and is very smart. And she's also a pansy, lol. She is very easily discouraged and not very confident yet. She is very ornery. When all the dogs come in, most of the time she comes right in with everyone else. But once in a while, she waits. So I'll give her a second chance and call her again. The first few times this happened, when she didn't come I went over to her to make sure nothing was wrong. She tried to entice me in a game of chase and looked quite pleased with herself. Lol, so she's learning now that that will not work and if she doesn't come in when asked then she gets left out all by herself. She also thinks that a barking fit will get you to throw her frisbee, so she's learning that barking is only rewarded when asked to bark, and any other barking ends the game. She is definitely an ornery brat but I love her to death. :love: Her manners are coming along quite well.

She loves cats and is very, very sweet to my cat Elli, who is still adjusting to all the newness. Harley is going to be a lot of fun to work with and I am really looking forward to watching her develop. So far, she knows:
Sit
Speak
Jump my leg
Shake
High-Five
Get up/Get off

Here she is!
Harley3.jpg

Harley5.jpg

Harley2.jpg

Patches10.jpg

MaryK

Honored Member
She's gorgeous, like a big cuddly teddy bear:love::D Maybe a new breed, the 'teddy bear' dog???

LOL she sounds like my boy Ra Kismet, he's learned the 'hard way', don't come when called, try to encourage me for a play, and you're left outside all by your lonesome! Now he comes in toot sweet!:D And of course, a reward when he comes inside.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Danielle, when she and Mud first met they hated each other(both wanted to run the house). When Harley would start to get aggressive, the fur all down her neck and back stood straight up and she looked like a hyena! A striped hyena lol.
Lol MaryK she is definitely a teddy bear! She might like to snuggle the most out of all our pups. :) She is super sweet but definitely likes to see what she can get away with! Quite a character.

MaryK

Honored Member
She sounds just like Ra Kismet, he's super sweet and a snuggle bug, but will definitely try to get away with as much as possible, all with a very happy smiley face:D

MaryK

Honored Member
Can just hear the conversation:

You and I -'Come Harley, Come Rakins.'

Harley - "Hey you hear that?"

Rakins - "Errrh what? Sudden loss of hearing, didn't hear a thing, you got that problem too?"

Harley - "Yep, must be just the wind, didn't hear humans calling at all"

Rakins (with grin on face "Hey Harley wanna play football?"

Harley - with a bigger grin - "Sure thing Rakins, we'll show them not to leave us outside, now we have each other, let's parteeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Harley and Rakins ignore all calls of 'come' and play happily together, getting all lovely and muddy too. Life's great when you've a soul partner! And that hearing problem? Well appears it's fixed when dinner time comes around! After all two energetic soccer players need their tucker right?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Harley does sound like quite a character! I bet she is a lot of fun to work with! I can kind of see heeler mix, possibly. I could see shepherd mix, maybe, but yeah really hard to say. Anyway enjoy her!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I don't think there's Chow. The blue/black tongue pretty much always shows up! Her coat has some length to it, though, so maybe golden retriever? Very feral looking, especially that last picture. Gave me chills!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
She does have a spotted tongue and gums, but I am unsure as to whether that is only specific to certain breeds...? Lol I love that last pic! Really shows the neat amber color of her eyes. :)

k9player

Experienced Member
I think she looks wonderful. The brindle colouring is a recessive gene, and not found in border collies as far as I know, but is common in breeds such as mastiffs, afgans, greyhounds, boxers, great danes, staffys as well as some smaller dogs (eg boston terriers). The body shape and fur length is reminiscent of a border collie, but the face is thicker set than most border collies. The ear shape is similar to of one of the types of border collie ears, but is not quite the same. There isn't a profile shot so not sure what the head shape is like from the side. There is a bit of white in some places where you would expect Irish spotting. I would expect part of the mix to be something medium size to large with broad facial features. How does she carry her tail?

Apparently akitas also come in brindle http://m5x.eu/brindle-akita/

Here is a few web-sites with long haired brindles

http://writingfromfactorx.tumblr.com/post/40677129092/starfoozle-bochelly-handsomedogs-gussie

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Long-Haired-Dutch-Shepherd-Dog/128586657195554?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

Cheers

Anne

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Here's another pic:
Patches9.jpg

Also if it helps, the black dog in these pics is her sister:
Patches2.png
Patches1.png

Now, off to read all those links... :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Also, in all but one of these pictures she is pretty overweight...I need to get a current picture. She's actually a pretty lean dog, more like that profile picture shows. When we first brought her home she was a tubby thing, lol, so I've been working on getting her down to where she should be for the last month or so that we've had her.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Very interesting links from both of you!

Dutch Shepherds are gorgeous dogs, k9player, love them! :) Dutch Shepherds are just not common in this area at all, I've actually never seen one in real life. Most people here haven't even heard of them.

Her head most definitely doesn't look like a Border Collie, but coat length and overall size was really why I threw out possible Border Collie. I thought possibly Aussie too because I looked up some Aussie/Chow mixes and the head shape was very similar, but she is much smaller and leaner than most Aussies.

Also, check this out:
http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BCColors_Brindle/BC_ColorBrindle.html
http://www.littlefoxxfarms.com/colors.html
http://www.bordercolliecolors.com/bordercolliecolors.brindle.html

Probably even more rare here than a Dutch Shepherd, but looks like BCs can be brindle! Just thought that was interesting. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Not that anybody's been dying to hear, lol but I'm excited so I had to share. Last night I was looking at Harley and it smacked me in the face.
ENGLISH SHEPHERD! I of course immediately went nuts looking up pictures and breed info to see if it could be a possibility. I think so!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg