tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I also put Buddy in a "STAY"
and
leave room
and hide a "puzzle"
for him to find.

then i call to him, and tell him, to "find your puzzle!"

this is also good practice for his "stay", as well.

He much enjoys it,
and it is adorable watching him walking around sniffing the air, wiggling that nose, trying to track down his "puzzle". I had to start out fairly easy,
but now,
i can reeeally hide that thing, so it does take him a while to track it down!!! So fun to watch.

(puzzles are usually, some type of plastic container, either a plastic tub or water bottle, with holes punched in it, and treats inside)
Like post #8, through #14 on THIS link below
shows how to make puzzles)
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/best-ever-homemade-toy.2630/

southerngirl

Honored Member
I will hold Missy while my two brothers go and hide(each has a toy to praise her when she finds them.) Once I'm done counting I'll tell Missy find em than let her collar go so she can find them. It's a lot of fun it keeps Missy entertained and my nine year old brother.:) During the summer with Missy on leash using a harness. It's a great game and Missy loves it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, i bet your brothers and your dog both love that game!!

Yeah, now that i realize how much fun it is for Buddy to FIND things,
i rarely,
if ever,
just 'give' him anything,
new toys, chew sticks, even old toys that have been hidden away to refresh his interest in them,
pretty much everything gets hidden now, and then Buddy is told to find it. Usually, i show him prior to hiding the object,
what it is he is he will be looking for,
but
not always.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
GET THIS, you will probably think this is crazy, but,
the other day, Buddy was bored, and i noticed him get behind the curtains. I have hid behind the curtains when we play hide and seek.

I busted out laffin, to see him looking so silly, behind the curtains..NO idea what that was all about, he's never in his life ever ever gotten behind the curtains....but i wondered, "Could Buddy be trying to instigate a game of hide and seek?":confused: Is he "hiding" like i hid? Is it possible? What else could he possibley doing behind the curtains? He just sat back there, for several minutes, just sitting behind the curtains.....
My whole family agreed, Buddy appears to be "hiding" in the curtains, like i have hidden in there when we played hide and seek before...it LOOKED like that is just what Buddy was doing.......

We all laughed and laughed, we had no idea what he was doing behind the curtains.(?)...still, he stayed there, hiding in the curtains....til i "found" him. He then came out, looking very pleased with himself.

so of course, next, i put him in a stay
and went and hid my self.....then called to him...til he found me, over and over and over......
We played this for about an hour....

now that i have done that, lol,
now my dog will probably often be seen hiding in the curtains... :ROFLMAO:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL...hmm...
Wocket in my pocket...ghairs beneath the stairs...zamp in the lamp.....I thought it was a jertain behind the curtain? Dr. Seuss never mentioned a Border Collie behind the curtain....LOL!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I know, isn't it too funny!??
I just can't think why else he would be sitting behind a curtain?? I'm so glad my family was there, to see it, too!! And who knows, who knows, maybe, for some reason i can not imagine, maybe Buddy just suddenly decided to sit behind a curtain for no reason.

but it really "looked like" he was hiding. The tip of his nose stuck out one side, and his tail stuck out the other side, so he wasn't doing a very good job of it, either. I WISH I HAD TAKEN A PICTURE!!
(i'm the only person i know who doesn't have a cell phone to take pictures with).

Buddy hasn't done it since, btw....just the one time. I sort of wish he would do it agan,
as we all found it hilarious, whatever he was doing, it was hilarious.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
the more i think about it,
the more convinced i become,
that Buddy was indeed, trying to instigate a game of hide&seek.......... He was utterly bored that day, :confused: and becoming desperate, as we were all watching a movie, and he hadn't been outdoors much that day due to horrific weather.

Really, once a dog "knows" how to play a game,
dogs do sometimes invite the human to play it, right?

LIke fetch, or throw this ball, or bringing you the tugtoy for some pulling games, or wrestling, or whatever "games" your dog IS familiar with,
dogs do sometimes try to get the human to play the games that the dog does know about...dropping balls or tugtoys next to us, etc etc.

now i almost want to make Buddy reach that level of severe boredom all over again, to see if he will "hide" in the curtain again!!!:ROFLMAO: Also, i'd usually played "hide&seek" with Buddy in the evenings, and we had played it a lot, really really a lot of times,
and it was evening time, so maybe he thought, "Ey! Where's my hide&seek game tonight!!??"

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Yeah I know what you mean about them instigating games, I had to sew Bella's squiddy toy which I finally got round to today and I gave it her to play with she likes to sling it round, the next thing I know I have this squid on my lap with Bellas head on it giving me the sad "please come on you know you want to throw it". So I was lured into a game of fetch as I can never resist her when she gives me that look lol.

Anneke

Honored Member
Oooh Yes I know that look, TiflovesBC's:D
Cooper has one too. He will put his head on the windowsill, between the curtains and just stare outside. When he hears one of us move, he will wag his tail just a little. His I am bored look:D
And Tigerlily, I know our dogs know how to tell us what they want, but Buddy tops it all!! Smart boy!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Oooh Yes I know that look, TiflovesBC's:D
Cooper has one too. He will put his head on the windowsill, between the curtains and just stare outside. When he hears one of us move, he will wag his tail just a little. His I am bored look:D
And Tigerlily, I know our dogs know how to tell us what they want, but Buddy tops it all!! Smart boy!
Here's Bella asking me to play whilst Jenny is not taking her eyes off the toy

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Tif, yes! I do think dogs do invite us to play games, with "the look" added in for extra emphasis and begging! It IS just like you say, tooo irrisistable! Great photo! Dogs sure can work that cute.
Dogs DO invite us to play the games that the dog knows about.

Anneke thanks! Cooper on the windowsill story is too cute! That's be too hard to resist, too!

Tx, that idea is hilarious! Dawg, wouldn't that be too funny!? "Buddy, go hide!" and poof, into the curtains he goes! rofl..:ROFLMAO:

mewzard

Experienced Member
The other morning we couldn't get Oka in from the garden, despite showing her that it was breakfast time.
Everytime Mark went out to call her she'd run towards him stop and then sprint away, Mark would come in and then go out again a few minutes later (school morning, we were trying to get the kids ready too).
In the end Mark went out saying '...i ...wonder...' and started chasing her round the garden *using our game cue - for a chase game* and after 5 or so minutes she happily trotted in and had her breakfast.

I'm sure she had decided it was about time for a chase game.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Mewzard, yeah, your dog def made your guy play! Very cleverly done, too!!:D too cute!

and Cwolf, that is one smart lil dog you have there! too funny!!:ROFLMAO: I chuckled just picturing that!!

Dogster

Honored Member
I always play fetch/tug with Shivon. I throw it, she brings it back, she won't let me have it until I play tug with her. LOL!! A way that she gets me to play with her is she brings the toy to me and nudges my leg while biting the toy until I give in. It's adorable!!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Too cute, Dogster!

It is so so cute, to read about all these dogs, all them seem to have favorite games,
........games that they know and love,
and all these dogs ARE getting all us humans to play THEIR favorite games!!:ROFLMAO:

also, yet again i am amazed, at how all dogs are individuals,
all of them having their own lil unique ways of getting to US to know which game the dog wants to play!!