Game: Guess The Breed

running_dog

Honored Member
I would guess Poodle but that might be a bit obvious. It does look like a water retrieving dog though. Maybe Irish Water Spaniel (although I'm not sure they come in that light a colour)?
Nope I'm going for obvious! You could of course have been more specific (Standard Poodle) but if I ask for that someone else will guess it and really I think it is your win (y).

Over to you to post the next challenge.

Honored Member
Yeah, it was a Standard Poodle I was thinking about.

Ok, here's another breed that I really like (I think I must like nearly every breed :love:, there are a lot that I like) . Although if I ever get to own one it wont be for a very long time. They arn't quite the right breed for me at the moment.

running_dog

Honored Member
Yeah, it was a Standard Poodle I was thinking about.

Ok, here's another breed that I really like (I think I must like nearly every breed :love:, there are a lot that I like) . Although if I ever get to own one it wont be for a very long time. They arn't quite the right breed for me at the moment.

Was thinking not-quite-saluki but it just came to me that it looks like a Borzoi.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Sounds a good guess, Running_Dog - I couldn't get past Saluki/Rough coated lurcher but knew it was not quite right...

Honored Member
You got it running_dog:

Borzoi.

I do like them but I think they are a bit too big for me at the moment and I think their size would hinder them in agility. Not sure how they would go in obedience though, I haven't seen any sight hounds compete but they don't exactly have a reputation for great obedience.
I might get one when/if I stop doing dog sports.

running_dog

Honored Member
I haven't seen any sight hounds compete but they don't exactly have a reputation for great obedience.
I've seen an obedience trained whippet once. I didn't see it competing properly though so I don't know whether it was as good as it looked to me.

running_dog

Honored Member
Here is one that you might find easy, I've given you the whole dog after all... or not easy... LOL... I just don't know.

quiz.jpg

running_dog

Honored Member
JRT x collie? Looks very Papillion but it's tall !!!
It is a pure bred rather than a cross. But the one I met certainly had some resemblance to a border collie. I thought it was a collie cross at first, not just because of it's looks but because it was so hyper. I'd never seen a dog run so far, so fast on a hot day and not even be out of breath.

running_dog

Honored Member
Looks a bit like a papilion but with the wrong length hair a just not quite right somehow... Kinda looks likes a chinese crested but obviously is not due to the coat...Stumped?!
Both good guesses, it isn't a papilion, nor a chinese crested nor a coated chinese crested though one of the recessive CCC coat types does look very like it.

Honored Member
I can't think of any breeds that look like that which made me think it could be a hairy version of a hairless breed, I believe there can be a lot of variation in the hairy versions, so:
Xoloitzuintle (a small version)
American Hairless Terrier or
Peruvian Inca Orchid

Or maybe a very odd looking Chi?

running_dog

Honored Member
I can't think of any breeds that look like that which made me think it could be a hairy version of a hairless breed, I believe there can be a lot of variation in the hairy versions, so:
Xoloitzuintle (a small version)
American Hairless Terrier or
Peruvian Inca Orchid

Or maybe a very odd looking Chi?
Good thinking, it is a coated miniature Xolo.
This is what the hairless versions (3 sizes) normally look like... but as you say there is a lot of variation in the coated dogs!

I've posted a picture of a satin coated chinese crested below so Ripleygirl can see the similarity... you were sooo close!

I really wanted to post a coated PIO but couldn't find one that looked like the one I met. According to the man it was with he found it as a puppy left to die tied to a tree. It turned out to be one of a litter of pups who had been stolen with their mum, maybe they dumped that one because it was coated? Happily because he found the puppy the others were tracked down and recovered and the breeder gave him the pup he'd found.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Good thinking, it is a coated miniature Xolo.
This is what the hairless versions (3 sizes) normally look like... but as you say there is a lot of variation in the coated dogs!

I've posted a picture of a satin coated chinese crested below so Ripleygirl can see the similarity... you were sooo close!

I really wanted to post a coated PIO but couldn't find one that looked like the one I met. According to the man it was with he found it as a puppy left to die tied to a tree. It turned out to be one of a litter of pups who had been stolen with their mum, maybe they dumped that one because it was coated? Happily because he found the puppy the others were tracked down and recovered and the breeder gave him the pup he'd found.
Well done '6'! Knew it had to be something like that but got stumped as to what. Didn't think of a Xolo... There is one (a hairless one, the smallest type in the picture above) that I see walking in a park near us too! Silly me!

Nice story that goes with the one you met too Running_dog! Glad to know the pups were recovered and the one you met ended up with a good home!