Game: Guess The Breed

running_dog

Honored Member
You guys got that one way faster than I thought!

It is a ..... wirehaired vizsla :D

I'm a bit partial to scruffy dogs (like Holly, her face has sooo much character). I haven't met a wirehaired vizsla yet but I have met a couple of the smooth variety (they are becoming very popular here). They definitely need work but they seem like great dogs. Another breed I might consider for my next dog if I want a real challenge. Being a working breed they should be good at sport, although the weim that I know is perhaps a little too big for agility and is definitely a challenge in obedience, very different to the herding breeds that most have.

Your turn running_dog.

Until a couple of years ago I hadn't met any wirehaired vizsla either, the wirehaired are becoming more popular now though. I wouldn't judge them by weims, they are a different breed not just a different colour. Vizslas are great, can be very hyper though but I don't think one of these dogs would be a problem for you :)

running_dog

Honored Member
I keep thinking that the fur looks too curly for a Old English Sheepdog or Bearded Collie.
Excellent observation (y)

I'm sorry, I just realised that this breed might not be well known outside of the UK and unless you see one it can be a bit of a forgotten breed even in the UK... hint hint

running_dog

Honored Member
Bedlington Terrier?
YES!!!!!
IMG_5807.jpg

I met him last Monday at a game fair, he was a super little character.
Well done. Over to you :)

I'm really sorry to all of you not in the UK, I never thought of how the Beddies are probably not heard of much elsewhere, we don't even see them much here but because they are popular in lurcher breeding I am quite familiar with them. The curls made me think poodle or beddie instantly, but old english sheepdog was a definite possibility (especially a puppy) as well as your other guesses. I cropped a little too enthusiastically!

Honored Member
I did think about Bedlingtons for your pic running_dog but I thought it looked like the nose might belong to something a little bigger and I only thought of Bedlingtons with a show clip so the fur doesn't look the same, haha I forgot to think about the dog having more of a pet clip/not being bathed and poofed up.
I haven't met a Bedlington. There arn't really lurchers here either. Although people do mix sighthound (usually greyhounds I think) into their pig dogs but I don't really know any pig dogs. I do like scruffy lurchers though, Bedlington X whippets seem to sometimes look like miniature wolfhounds or deerhound which I like.

MaryK

Honored Member
I did think about Bedlingtons for your pic running_dog but I thought it looked like the nose might belong to something a little bigger and I only thought of Bedlingtons with a show clip so the fur doesn't look the same, haha I forgot to think about the dog having more of a pet clip/not being bathed and poofed up.
I haven't met a Bedlington. There arn't really lurchers here either. Although people do mix sighthound (usually greyhounds I think) into their pig dogs but I don't really know any pig dogs. I do like scruffy lurchers though, Bedlington X whippets seem to sometimes look like miniature wolfhounds or deerhound which I like.
Bedlingtons look so beautiful when they're pet clipped not show clipped. And Lurchers, they are just gorgeous!!!!!!!:love: