Frustration!!!

Anneke

Honored Member
Zac was like that often, there are some things he just doesn't see the point of - like stacking dishes, he figured out what I wanted on the third attempt but he wouldn't repeat it for weeks no matter how much I praised him for it, he literally threw the dishes under the furniture, just missed stacking them dozens of times, and got worse not better. I thought he didn't understand... but he was just being too clever for me. In the end I accepted it for that trick. Look at this video I made of him tricking me, beating me at my own game and generally just being now like any of the "how to train" videos/books imply dogs are...
Zac is too clever and simply doesn't see the point of this trick. I call him an intuitive learner. But as I have built up a better relationship with Zac and he doesn't so much take me for granted he is happier to work. If you can crack one of the two problems the other will probably resolve itself.

Ooh I know that look!!!:ROFLMAO: So funny and so frustrating!!

running_dog

Honored Member
Ooh I know that look!!!:ROFLMAO: So funny and so frustrating!!
I must try asking him to stack dishes agin and see what happens. It must be over a year since I asked him to.
I did have to let go of my vision of Zac collecting the dishes up neatly every time in a border collieish robotic performance. He is as clever as a border collie he just uses his cleverness in a different way LOL.

MaryK

Honored Member
Mary, that is exactly what I have been doing for the past year. Just take him as he comes. You want to work, nice, let's have a party! You don't, fine, I'll do funstuff with Jinx. And it seems to work.
But every once in a while I fall back into my old way of thinking and I try... and fall flat on my face:LOL:
I think somehow I put too much pressure on him and he just ignores me. And then when I give up, there he is, being all hey, let's work! Like he has been over the past few days, since I posted this thread:rolleyes:
I have been doing some execises with Jinx on a fitnessball(I'll post about that later) and he just loves it so much he will push Jinx aside to get his turn :rolleyes::D
Sorry for the delay technical difficulties and worse, very dear friend and neighbor passed away very suddenly, still shaken.

Yes, I think maybe you could be putting too much pressure on him, not that you mean too of course. When a dog's really smart, as Cooper is, I think we tend to expect too much from them. I have to be careful of that very thing with Leaf as she's so smart. Dogs really do teach us so much don't they.

Great idea to do exercise with Jinx on a fitness ball, look forward to seeing the video. LOL love that Cooper pushes Jinx away, seems that just maybe his forte!

MaryK

Honored Member
Absolute LOVE the video of Zac!!!!!!!:love::love::love: LOL I know just what you mean. I too have all these lovely vision of Leaf dusting and sweeping, collecting dishes etc. but Leaf also has other ideas, especially when it involves any form of house work. Her expression is "Hey why do you think I own you to do all the work, I'm a DIVA - that's D -I-V-A and we DO NOT do housework":p