Frisbee tips

paola

Hello, my name is Paola and I`m from Mèxico City, I owned an 8 year old Grate Dane (Lando), an 8 year old Labrador Retriever (Padme) and a new Border Collie (Lea) she is one year old. I`m willing to train her in frisbee!! She is attracted to it, as long as there is no other distractor (a cat) a different dog than her brothers and so. That`s why I need to get some wise advises so my dog (Lea) will be obsesed with the frisbee and she will become a champion. Is there some charity soul who is willing to help I will apriciate it so much!!!!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
You mean that she is going to go after the Frisbee until there is a distraction? That is the challenging part of training. You can train a dog to be 100% obedient in your home and then go outside and it's like you've never trained him to do anything.

Basically, you will have to train your dog to work even when there are distractions present. This is done by starting with very small and light distractions, and reinforcing your dog for ignoring them (or continuing what she is supposed to do). And then to gradually increase the intensity of the distraction.

Of course this is going to be difficult, because any dog will be distracted by a cat or a squirrel running, even more so if he has been allowed to chase one in the past.

Not much of an advice I guess... Sorry. :dogwub:

paola

Hi Jean!! Of course I`m trying to do so, but my huge concern is knowing that I can`t punish her because of getting distracted I don`t know how to make her obsessed with the frisbee, you know what I mean?
The worst part is that playing with the frisbee she is unleashed so she is getting rewards persuing other animals!!! (that desperates me a lot). I was hopping that she was going to be willing to play with me as much as I want to play with her!!
That is why I want so desperate an advise from somone who allready has trained fresbee.
Any way I am very thankfull for your replay. And from now on you have a new friend!
Thanks.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi Paola, I just wanted to say one thing. First, always remember to just have fun with your girl, and don't forget ... just because YOU want her to be obsessed with the frisbee and be a champion doesn't mean she'll ever love it or be a champion. I have two GSDs. One could play fetch with the kong all day long, the other plays with a ball, but after a few minutes, he's finished, just not the drive of my girl. Just because you want it, doesn't mean your dog does, or ever will. Just remember, first and foremost, to always keep it fun for her!

fickla

Experienced Member
I would just focus on having fun and making it a big game. You can't put the goals of being a champion on a new dog! You are absolutely right that you can't punish her for being distracted as that would only make her hate frisbee time and would turn it into a chore rather than a game.

If you want to create more drive for the disc, I would start out by keeping them picked up and out of sight, don't let her have access to them all day. Then when you bring them out, make a huge deal out of them and only play with them for a very short amount of time. You want the disc to be very exciting and quit before she wants to quit. So depending on how motivated she is by them, I might bring them out, tease her for a bit, and then do 3 very short throws before putting the discs away. Just remember that since you want the discs to be very special you need to quit right as she is drooling over another throw. Only practice in low distraction places, maybe only inside for a little bit. Don't worry about having her make spectacular catches or anything since you are trying to build drive. I would snake it along the ground, play some tug with it, maybe throw a few rollers, but that's about it for right now.

desertranger

Don't teach your pup to be obsessed that can work against you. Border collies are easy to train and will do anything you want but you are going to have to spend some time learning about them on a very serious level. This forum is a great one for teaching tricks and such but I would also like to recommend All About Border Collies That's where you find breed specific info on BCs. Everything you need to know about the border collie, including general infor, activities, sheepdog trials, veterinary , breeding and genetics, It is a wealth of information specific to BCs. Please tell Elaine the HeadMod I sent you.

The trick to training Lea not to chase animals is a solid recall and to "LieDown" wherever she is on command. After teaching a basic recall and lie down extend the distance with walks on a long leash or off leash using treats to reward the recall and Frisbee games at the end of the walk.

Another word on BCs being obsessed. My dog Jin is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with balls. He'll fetch a frisbee, stick even my hat if the wind catches it. But he goes total nuts over a ball. It may be that you haven't found what he's OCD for. That's not a bad thing.

Jin on "lie down". He will stay there until given a command or release.

BCs respond extremely well to whistles and if you can't whistle there is are several you can buy and learn to use. The best is the sheepdog whistle however it is the also most difficult to use.

yoyopoodle

paola;19337 said:
I don`t know how to make her obsessed with the frisbee,
Just a teeny tiny session a few times a day, and no Frisbee out where she can see it except during sessions... Some people use the Frisbee as their dog's food bowl... the most important things are to have fun (not get frustrated or stressed), keep sessions very short (ending before she loses interest - you may just do one roller at first!), and generally make Frisbee the best fun she has all day... choose a time that she is active and interested... often early in the morning is good.

Don't throw the disc in the air until she *knows* she wants it (catches every roller, tries to grab it from your hand, leaps to catch it as you get ready to throw...), otherwise you are desensitizing her to flying discs... making it very hard to ever teach her that Frisbee is the best game in the world.

paola;19337 said:
The worst part is that playing with the frisbee she is unleashed so she is getting rewards persuing other animals!!!
Keep her on a long leash, or just a rope. If she runs off with the Frisbee or tries to chase an animal you can reel her back in so that she is not rewarded. If there are a lot of distractions for her outside you can work inside until she builds her focus on the Frisbee.

Here are a couple of videos of my Poodle learning to catch a disc. The first one is a full training session, the next is just a few clips to show her improvement over a month or two.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvvQzP7bsko[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckgG_84uSA[/media]

-Jillian