Flatulance in dogs?

marineangel

:yshy:This is kind of embarrasing but my Boxer Niko is always passing gas, and it smells soooo bad!:ysick:i gag sometimes lol does anyone know what may cause this problem and how i may be able to solve it? all he eats is dry food i believe is a chicken based diet. Has anyone experienced this?? :dogwub:

marieke

I know the problem, my parents dog Buck does it too. The smell so bad he gets up and goed lying somewhere else :dogbiggrin: . I know Buck gets it when my dad fed him a lot of junk food. Did you try feeding him a different brand?

marineangel

Hi Marieke! Yeah we have tried different ones, we used to buy it at the grocery store but now we go the Pet shop to get him one with better quality but he keeps passing gas! lol we're going to the Pet shop tomorrow maybe i can find something that will help, i've heard of some pills or something like that but i'm not sure, have you heard of them?

zcoonhound

My coonie had gas at times. The only time the smell will get to us is when she is riding in the backseat of the truck. WOW! LOL......ROFL!!!!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
This can also be caused by a dog eating too fast, thus taking in and swallowing large quantities of air.

This page says all that I could say on the matter.

Hope it helps!

dat123

Experienced Member
My oldest BC has has a 'wind' problem whenever she barks. She barks a LOT in the car !!
Not sure what thats about .
She is also debarked, but I don't think that is related :msniwonder:

Mind you, she does woof her food down faster than any dog I've ever seen.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
She is also debarked, but I don't think that is related
You mean that your dog cannot bark, because you had its vocal chords operated on specifically to prevent the bark?

marieke

I don't know about pills for dogs but I am pretty sure they excist for people. I hope Collieman's link is of help.

Note to self: if ever visiting Zcoonhoudn, dat123 or MarineAngel bring gas mask.

marineangel

marieke;6574 said:
I don't know about pills for dogs but I am pretty sure they excist for people. I hope Collieman's link is of help.

Note to self: if ever visiting Zcoonhoudn, dat123 or MarineAngel bring gas mask.
LMAO yeah bring masks ppl! lol I hope my new puppy doesn't come with gas lol :dogbiggrin: we couldn't get to the pet store but i looked some up online on petsmart and i saw a couple but i don't know if they actually work. Thanks Collieman for that link i'll make sure to check it out!:ysmile:

dat123

Experienced Member
CollieMan;6572 said:
You mean that your dog cannot bark, because you had its vocal chords operated on specifically to prevent the bark?
She can bark, but is very, very quiet by comparison to a normal dogs bark ( I'll try to find a video of her and send to youtube, so you know what I mean).
Arlie is a rescue dog, her previous owners had her debarked , vocal chords cut in operation, when she was 4 years old. They also had a 2nd dog at the time, got him debarked as well....disgusting !!! When Arlie was 6 1/2 yo they didn't want her anymore, and went to Border Collie Rescue, nobody wanted her, so we took her in.

BTW, debarking is illegal in my state, you have to find a dodgy vet to get it done. Unfortuneatly it is becoming more common to get done in the state where I live.

Debarking is sometimes done for health reasons, but mostly to muffle the bark because neighbours complain about barking dogs. Obviously, Arlie's previous owners didn't know anything about dog training, and took the easy way out instead !!!!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
... her previous owners had her debarked , vocal chords cut in operation, when she was 4 years old. They also had a 2nd dog at the time, got him debarked as well....
That is so sad.

gravelhighway

Oh my gosh.. is that even legal? It sounds horrible! While my little guy may keep barking, I would never even consider something like that!

marineangel

dat123;6592 said:
She can bark, but is very, very quiet by comparison to a normal dogs bark ( I'll try to find a video of her and send to youtube, so you know what I mean).
Arlie is a rescue dog, her previous owners had her debarked , vocal chords cut in operation, when she was 4 years old. They also had a 2nd dog at the time, got him debarked as well....disgusting !!! When Arlie was 6 1/2 yo they didn't want her anymore, and went to Border Collie Rescue, nobody wanted her, so we took her in.

BTW, debarking is illegal in my state, you have to find a dodgy vet to get it done. Unfortuneatly it is becoming more common to get done in the state where I live.

Debarking is sometimes done for health reasons, but mostly to muffle the bark because neighbours complain about barking dogs. Obviously, Arlie's previous owners didn't know anything about dog training, and took the easy way out instead !!!!
wow i can't believe people can do something like that, that's a shame.:msncry:

leema

I will always advocate a raw diet. :D I find dry dog food gave Mac farts for the short time I tried it.

Mac now gets almost exclusively raw meat, offal and bones for meals.

heidib860

That sounds terrible dat123. I have never heard of debarking. It sounds like Arlie is in a better home now.

dat123

Experienced Member
Here is an example of Arlies bark in the video.
You can hear my other dog doing a low moan , about half way through, as a comparison of the volume , of Arlies bark.

Thanks heidib860. Yes, she has a great life now. She enjoys agility, frisbee , trips to the park, lots of tricks , and lots of love.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcKAEVoqrY0[/MEDIA]

maxkaurasky

Commenting on what Dat123 said :
Debarking?! Thats just cruel! I had never heard of that before. And good for you for being her rescuer! :)

brugs

Hand feeding your dog will help tons with the gas and build a better bond between the dog and owner.
I could never de bark my dogs!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
They sell special dog bowls, that have dividers built into the center of the dish, which slows down dogs who eat way too fast. I saw the "It's Me or The Dog" lady recommend them once to someone, and later I noticed these at PetSmart.