Dog Tricks Categories

Mutt

Experienced Member
tricks by 'looking'
Don't know who to call this group correct. But I want to teach Dazzle (eventually, when collected enough toys) graph a toy in an other room (where there are laying many different toys) by showing her a smaller version in the first place.
Other example is to teach your dog to sit while holding a paper up with the words 'sit' on it (no dogs cant read, but are able to see the differences in different words, which that are an cue sign to do something.
I think you could those as visual cues?

MaryK

Honored Member
Madeleine, you've answered something which had has me puzzled, how dogs 'read'. Thank you:D When he's learned the current tricks we're working on, I can now start to teach him to read.:cool:

WJCook. I'm having the same problem with my two boys. I am getting my younger dog Ra Kismet to jump through his hoop while I'm holding it on Zeus back (very lightly). Zeus is an older dog so we do it with him laying down, as standing for too long is a bit hard for him, but Zeus will not stay in the down position even though he knows down - stay. Any suggestions as to how I can keep him 'down' would be appreciated.

sara

Staff member
I actually dont like the disabled catagory. I've seen vids of blind dogs doing some tricks that you would never expect one to be able to do (like the turn and back up between owners legs from a distance of 15 feet). Mouse would certainly be considered a disabled dog, yet she can do more tricks than 90% of perfectly normal dogs and is not limited as to the type of trick. Disabilities only affect the creativity and problem solving skills of the owner, not the dog itself LOL.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I understand that blind dogs, death dogs can do the same things as seeing and hearing dogs, but dogs with bad hips or legs can't do certain tricks because they can't do it physically or you have to adjust the trick.

MaryK

Honored Member
That's it Mutt!!!!

Let me know when you start on that trick MaryK!
And good luck with the hoop trick
Will do Madeleine, should be in the next week, he's almost got his latest trick trick, the other one will be a 'work in progress' for a while, so will start him learning to read before we finish that one. And I have to prepare the cards, work out what I want him to 'read' etc. What are good things to start with???

Thank you, we achieve success on around a 50% basis:rolleyes:

Mutt

Experienced Member
Will do Madeleine, should be in the next week, he's almost got his latest trick trick, the other one will be a 'work in progress' for a while, so will start him learning to read before we finish that one. And I have to prepare the cards, work out what I want him to 'read' etc. What are good things to start with???

Thank you, we achieve success on around a 50% basis:rolleyes:
I think it is easiest to start with very basic, well known tricks (sit, lie down, shake paw etc.) wants the dog gets visual cues you can start making them harder. Try printing thm very big and in clear writing (ariel, calibri etc.). Just some tips :)
Do you know how to get started? :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I think it is easiest to start with very basic, well known tricks (sit, lie down, shake paw etc.) wants the dog gets visual cues you can start making them harder. Try printing thm very big and in clear writing (ariel, calibri etc.). Just some tips :)
Do you know how to get started? :)
Thank you Mutt for the starting words and the tips:) Not exactly sure how to start, was going to look for a video on this forum.