Dog Lover

My dog has sores that are scabby and sticky and yellow and stick to her fur. Help please

• anyone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • anyone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh, sorry, CS is short for "Chicken Soup" dog food, or rather,
"Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul" dog food.

Ever hear of those books, like, "chicken soup for the teenager soul"
or "chicken soup for the mother's soul" etc, long long long list of such books,
etc, etc, sort of inspirational books of stores that are supposed to help the person feel good. these books were quite popular years ago.

well, that guy who writes those books, it's his wife who invented the recipe, cuz, she didn't like all the crappy dog foods on the market. Maybe cuz they are already rich,(?) and seem to be general do-gooders, maybe that is why they only charge about 1/3 the price of other quality dog foods.

but you are not ignorant, it's just my own lil way to shorten the name to CS, or to CSDLS.

again, it is not THE top dog food in the world, but, for the price, it's hard to beat it. did you see the chart i linked ?
i think it is a good chart. sort of simple chart.

Catherine

Ok. Yes I just checked the chart. Kirkland seems to be good I guess. We have that brand here. Ive never CS here before. Canada is so much different than the US. We dont have as big of a selection. Like you, I am on a budget but Maddie doesnt eat a BIG amount anyway so I dont mind paying a bit more for her food. But I want her to be healthy too.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Kirkland does seem to be a great buy, for that price, is a really decent dog food.
If you strongly prefer having dog food delivered via mail, probably, you can find someone to do so, not sure. There are various websites who offer to mail you dog food.

I get Buddy's dog food at a dog supply store, and they allow dogs to come right into the store, which Buddy thinks is quite fun, to get to go into a store!!!:ROFLMAO: . It's only a once a month trip anyway.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
and Catherine, Kirklands has a LAMB version of their dog food,:D
which, who knows, might be helpful to your lil dog. I hear some ppl who say, almost all dogs can tolerate lamb meat, they say even dogs who are allergic to chicken meat, can eat lamb meat.

cuz, Kirlands is very slightly a lil heavy on the rice,
if you can,
i'd toss a few meat scraps (rinsed off of any spices) onto her bowls of kibble, if you can.

NOT that we know your dog is allergic to chieken meat, and NOT that we know your dog food is causing skin problems anyway,
but, i know some ppl who like to see the purebred white dogs being fed lamb meat.
and i realize, your dog is not 100% purebred anyway, but, still, he is a mostly white dog.
(this whole "white dogs with allergies to chicken" may be a myth, so take it with a grain of salt:ROFLMAO: ).

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
if you DO decide to swap out dog food,
you should probably do so sloooowly, over a week or two,
just swapping out a few kibbles at a time.

you can always donate your leftover dog food to dog pound, they will be stoked to get some dog food.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yes, i bet Charmed Wolf will be back to see if you posted a photo, hope she knows what it is....GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us posted with your progress on the sores, hope they all heal soon!!

Dogster

Honored Member
Chicken Soup can be found in Pet Valu.:) ( I live in Canada too!!!!:D) It really depends on your budget, like Tigerlily said. If you have a tighter budget, a food like CS would be a great buy!!!! If you can afford something more expensive, go for it!!!:LOL:
By the way, BEAUTIFUl, BEAUTIFUL dog!!!!:love:

Catherine

Thanks Dogster. I think shes special too;);) How much is CS food? I will check here but just wondering before I get a chance to check it out.
No NEW outbreaks this morning ---- that I can tell anyway. The yogurt before the pill keeps it down.,..yahooooooooo:D:D Yes, heres hoping Cwolf checks this out too

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
This is encouraging there are not NEW outbreaks. Is Maddie still on her antibiotics?

CS dog food, like i said, is about $1 per pound for the large bag. I think we pay $35 for a 30 lb bag. Kirklands is a lil cheaper, but, has less meat, but, for the price, Kirklands is hard to beat, too, especially if owner embellishes the kibble with meat.

Like i always say, CS is not the #1 top dog food in world, but, for the price, it is a great dog food for ppl on a budget. But i haven't found a kibble i like better, not enough to pay 2 or 3 times as much for a bag of it.
I always add 'spice-free' meat or fish or poultry
to every bowl of kibble my dog gets. For now, that is the best i can do.

so even if i had oodles of money,
instead of paying more for a kibble,
i'd just buy MEAT.
Not a "super high-priced kibble", but, if i had tons o money--->i'd feed my dog real, actual MEAT if i had tons of cash.

I do not see the big difference between dog food with lots of potatoes,
and dog food with oats, rice or barley.
Except tons of potatoes give my dog gas:sick: , and rice and oats don't...
Nutritionally----oats, rice, barley ~vs~ potatoes are about the same.

A lot of ppl seem to think "grain free" means the bag has only meat in the bag,
but, it's not true, almost all dog food DOES have plant matter in it,
whether it is plant matter from grass family (like barley or oats)
or plant matter from potato family.
(or plant matter from the tumbleweed family in some cases, still, it's plant matter)

and lol, my dog actually does nibble the tips of tall grasses now and then. I know some dogs gorge themselves on grass to puke,
but lots of dogs do like my dog does, just nibble off a few of the tiptops of tall grasses, JUST THE TIPS, just a few, and no one knows why so many dogs do that.
Lots of guesses on why dogs nibble a few grass tips, but no one knows for sure.

So, for my dog, grasses almost seem like part of his natural diet. But, i've yet to see him dig up a tuber to eat.

charmedwolf

Staff member
It sounds like a hot spot that was already on its way to healing but again I can't be sure. The medicine and the yogurt that she was given in probably speeding up the healing process. It is getting close to when dogs usually shed which can cause hot spots (My mastiff gets them all the time around now). If it happens again though, I would ask for a skin biopsy because it could be an autoimmune skin problem.

Tigerlily, I'm actually becoming a vet :D, I'm just not one yet! (So many more years of schooling).

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Cwolf, i think you'd make a fantastic vet!! My guess was almost close, then!!:ROFLMAO:

Oh, Catherine, one more thing,
you probably already know, cuz you seem pretty knowledgable about dogs and health, etc,
but,
it's great you are giving the dog some yogurt right now,:D to help re-colonize his colon after the antibiotics to prevent yeast from overgrowing.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Cwolf, how does shedding season cause hotspots?

What is that all about?

Catherine said her dog's sores do not feel hot to the touch, would they still be "hot spots" then?

charmedwolf

Staff member
Cwolf, how does shedding season cause hotspots?

What is that all about?

Catherine said her dog's sores do not feel hot to the touch, would they still be "hot spots" then?
If the dead hair doesn't get brushed away from the shedding season, it sometimes will get trapped against the skin. It will rub against the skin and cause a hot spot. This will happen more so if moisture gets into the dead hair. If the dog doesn't scratch it, they often clear up up quickly and don't get enlarged and as red a people normally see them.

When they begin to heal they aren't hot to the touch anymore. So I think it's probably on the way to being healed. But that's how people usually find them on their dogs as a spot that warmer than usual. It is just a precursor of things to come.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OHhhh, thanks for info, Cwolf! that makes sense. Wow, what a tough problem for a dog owner, or for a dog.:(

wow, i just googled "hotspots dog"
and there is a lot of info out there on the internet on how to help, like how to clean the spots, how to trim away the fur, etc. I wonder if you did nail this, Cwolf, i wonder if that is what this poor lil dog has.
the more i read about what "hot spots" are,
the more your guess seems like a VERY GOOD guess, Cwolf!!

Catherine

I think they are hot spots. But she didnt want her normal food for a few days. She did eat on her own yesterday. She has been sticking to me like glue. I guess they want their MOMMY around when they arent feeling well. Im picking the scabs off and the hair is coming out with it. Also, most of them are on her head top and under her chin, She wasnt itching either. Just wondering if they act differently on some dog?????

And CWolf....youre on your way to becoming a great vet...Im sure you will do great. im just surprised my vet didnt pick up on this. It is very common..