Dog Is In The "planning" Stages...purchased From Breeder...spring Litter

It was an effort...but I established myself as the ALPHA and my wife submitted to the purchase of a dog. We will be getting a Scottish terrier puppy in the spring and there will be a whole new list of challenges in the household...the doggie will have to learn too !!! My wife has never really had a dog in her life while I have had Bouviers and Bassets. With lots of kibble bits, and loving talk, I have persuaded her into accepting a Scottie puppy this coming spring. I had her come out and see the adult Scotties and promised that the dogs would not shed, not poop in the house, not pee in the house, and would be perfectly well mannered from the get go...ho ho ho! So I am reading every dog training book I can get my hands on to learn how to quickly train the puppy. This dog will have to blog Wickipedia in order to pass muster with my wife. But, I am not as anxious as she is though I am working at becoming knowledgeable about lure/reward and alpha establishment. Ruff Ruff...wish me lots of luck. And keep posted !
Richard:D

bekah1001

Honored Member
Welcome! I love this site there is so much information and awesome people! Good luck! I hope you are able to get your puppy :p Can't wait for pics!

Bosun

Bouviers.... sigh.... just put the last of 3 down in August... I love those dogs.

Is there a way for you to ask your wife what portion she is interested in (as far as interaction with the pup goes?) I would go from there. Maybe she likes to bake and so a few "doggie recipe's" may get her involved. Or nutrition, or manners (Canine Good Citizen stuff), or an exercise companion...

It's hard if one person is not "all in", there's just so much in the beginning. Will you be crating the pup? House breaking, takes as long as it takes... I sure hope you haven't promised the stars!!!! lol

I'm sure this will be a fun venture to follow along... How much longer til puppy pictures?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Well, Bosun makes a great point, it is best if the entire family is "all in" as she puts it.
but, if i can throw in a word of encouragement on the wife's attitude, my guy was also arm-twisted into getting another dog. Took me almost 2 years to wear him down. I let him pick out the breed, and name the dog, etc, ANYTHING to get him on board.
lol, it was not long til my guy was totally wrapped around Buddy's paw! ha ha! My man is absolutly besotted, craxy=gagga-nutz about the dog.
of course, it doesn't always work out that way, but, it did at my house.
GREAT that you are planning ahead.
So much info out there on the net, on bringing home a new puppy.
Not all the trainers on the net are 'positive only', which most of us here favor.
Our admin, Jean, is 'positive only', and has GREAT videos in "CLASSROOM" on how to get started learning how to teach a dog things. Well worth a watch.
Here IS a 'positive only' trainer, Kikopup, (ALL her videos get my 2 thumbs up, however, many of her videos mostly focus on behavior management, not tricks training)
/
Here is Kikopup
on potty training
http://youtu.be/QvPiFcG7ROI
and puppy biting:
http://youtu.be/c77--cCHPyU
Kikopup on crate training, if you plan to use a crate:
http://youtu.be/dUzF0g0PwY4
Kikopup on getting your dog to love being home alone:
http://youtu.be/LGxhcb-itO4
as you can see, Kikopup uses a CLICKER, as does Jean in the CLASSROOM. Many of us here are big CLICKER training fans.
i also think you have set up some unrealistic expectations in your wife,:ROFLMAO: re the "never sheds, never has accidents in the house" etc, especially for an unhousetrained infant dog! :ROFLMAO:
BUT BEST OF LUCK AND CONGRATS!

Hey Tigerlil,
Thanks for the note...good stuff...especially the trainer that you have highlighted...kikopup looks she is a real winner. And now I look back at my old ways of dog training with my Bouviers and Basset and can understand why they didnt want to come back on recall. I feel like I was a brutal taskmaster and now am very grateful for the INTERNET where I have found so many tips on being POSITIVE and using positive reinforcement with the puppy rather than the old NO, NO, NO which I used a lot in the old days. No wonder my dogs were not happy coming back to me...hell, I wouldnt come back either !!
As for my wife, I am teasing about saying the puppy "wont shed, wont pee, etc." But I sure dont want to play up the fact that puppies are puppies and do this a lot...I think I will just have to work hard at having the puppy wanting to please us in not doing its natural thing indoors...chief thing is to make the puppy feel that what it is doing is trying to please me and that what it can do and where needs to be very clearly demonstrated...but again, I must train myself to think and look for how to do all this in positive, encouraging and caring ways. I think I was darn abusive in my earlier days. I hope I am beyond that now and can learn ways of doing things that work favourably for the pup. You triggered a lot of inward self analysis in myself as a dog owner ! Thanks !

Richard

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Lol, we live and learn, all of us, all the time. I cringe and cringe at what i fed our last dog...i just didn't know any better at the time. I just hope my last dog did not realize we were feeding him pure crapola....:notworthy:
You sound like you are starting off with great attitude, which is half the battle right there!
I've been meaning to post a thread on Recall, if i do, i'll send you a msg so you can look it over.

sara

Staff member
Play lots of games with the puppy, ALOT of tug, and fetch, right from the start. that'll really help you keep puppy focused on you, and "eager to please" Proper play is the fastest way to get a puppy focused on you. And you'll be able to use toys for a reward when training, if that puppy is trained to play right from the get go.

Terriers are alot of fun, but can be stubborn and independent. Alot of people think they're awful, as bad behaviours are common in terriers, however my terriers and my Sister's westie are all awesome dogs, very willing to work, and LOVE trick training. My deaf and sight impaired Dachshunds are stubborn too, but are very well mannered and really good little dogs, with none of the bad behaviours associated with the breed.... because of play and clicker training.

Keep it fun, your terrier will LOVE you!

I am becoming a little paranoid with the messages I am getting about Scotties...stubborn, mischievous, independent, badly behaved. I get a feeling from more reading though that all the messages I am getting can be applied to any breed that is not taught well. So I am just going to cross my fingers, read tons, and dedicate myself to proper interaction and training of the Scottie...I am getting a bit more nervous now though !
Richard

sara

Staff member
I didn't mean to make you nervous. I adore terriers! It's just that you need to make them think it's their idea ;). They are little comedians. They are independent little goofballs. But alot of fun! I find that terriers especially need positive training, corrections just shut them down, turn them off, they wont work well, or learn well with corrections. Keep training positive, play lots of games, be firm but fair. Rules are important, but teach the rules positively. Terriers are rewarding and loving critters, if raised and trained with positive reinforcement, and lots of time/attention. You will enjoy the dog, you truly will!

Bosun

I had the pleasure of a terrier x border collie, who spent her entire life training me. I've never shook my head so many times with one dog as I did that one. I've quoted before that the first rule of training a dog is to be smarter than the dog... I was seriously lacking with Misfit. BUT..... they endear themselves to you like no other dog on earth. This is a portion of what I wrote at her passing:

There's something about a terrier that takes control of your life, like a impudent child. You want to scold it, but are too wrapped up in the fun to notice. They dance their way into your soul. They are little and Sprite-like. They spread fairy dust. They are natures optimists. They are spunky and fearless. They have no idea how little they are. They consume you. They have the ability to find the loop hole in any training program and use it to their advantage. They demand to be treated like royalty.

I think you're headed in the absolute right direction. Positive training works faster and more efficiently. I think a Scottie Puppy would be a blast!

And... I really really really.... really love puppy pictures... so when they start rolling in... please please please share!

Ahhh...you dog owners are training me with all your positive reinforcement...woof! woof! Yawn! blink! Lip lick! OK...I am calm and learning...as the puppy wont be here till late spring, the winter will be spent reading, learning, and trying to sort out all the advice, tips and suggestions. I bet somewhere there is an organized list of what needs to be bought, arranged, set up for a new puppy.
I am enjoying the reassurances I am getting about buying a Scottie...tho I am apprehensive when I read that they "are smarter than you are;" "are stubborn little characters;" "need lots of positive reinforcements;" and much more. I can just see myself biting my tongue every time I want to react with my first inclination of saying 'NO !' But as I have written before, I now see how bad of a dog trainer I was with my first dogs. The basset seemed to be the most resilient and would come on recall, consistently. The Bouviers just thumbed their noses at me which frustrated me like crazy. Patience, patience, perseverance, positive reinforcement, and more patience....I think I may be learning the key words now !
Thanks for your notes folks...I appreciate it and rest assured, when the pup arrives, there will be lots of photos to follow.
Richard:p

Bosun

lol... bouvs have an "executive committee" that lives in their heads that they run your suggestions (aka commands) by first.... you have to get their approval ;)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Well, Richard, i think you are right, that a dog of ANY breed can become a handful if not properly trained, i so agree! And so far as getting a dog of ANY breed to consistantly come when called, that takes training, you are right. Some breeds, and some individual dogs, can be a lil harder to train to come than others.
There are many ways to teach recall, but here is thread where i post how i did it,
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/dog-running-away.3994/
i learned that from others here, and sort of combined various points from many others. It works. It might be wayyy too soon for you to 'use' this info, but, you can save it to favorites, if you like the concept.
What i did, was teach my dog that "come" is the name for treats. :ROFLMAO: I tricked my dog, ha ha! The way many dogs do know the word "cheese", well,
my dog was taught to think that the name for treats is "come", rofl. It's true. It's what i did! Overtime, it was almost just a reflex for him to run to me, when he hears me say "Buddy COME",
but at first,
he really thought the "come" was a name for treats.
*My* dog IS VERY food motivated, for other dogs, if they are wayyyy into tug toys, they might do better teaching their dog that "come" is the word that means tug-toy, but, you'll have to carry a tugtoy all the time while teaching the cue.
Terriers are not the easiest dog in the world imo, IF no one ever trains them. They tend to be barkers, and stubborn, very very brave--almost to a fault!:rolleyes: lol,
and ENERGETIC,
but, like you said, a dog of any breed can be that way, too. But, various breeds DO come with expected or typical characteristics that have been bred into that breed for eons.
Still, with training, even a terrier can be taught to not bark so much, and to focus on you, but, imo, it is not the easiest breed in the world, if no one trains them at all.
VERY smart dogs, lol, they ARE SO smart. I think a dog who is smart is a big plus, imo, and that makes living with that dog even MORE fun.:D But, you sound very committed to training your dog properly, with love, consistantly, so i think you will do just fine!!!
I don't think teaching a dog things is hard, i don't. ALLL dogs can learn things, all of 'em.
Mostly, as you'll see in classroom videos, we ignore wrong moves, and reward correct moves, or reward attempts at correct moves. That's about it in a nutshell. I've probably only used the word 'no' for my dog 3 or 4 times in all the years since i've ever got him, and none of those times was during tricks training. Because i use the 'no' word so so so rarely it's way powerful word to my dog, but i almost never use that word for Buddy.
Of course, infant baby dogs, have way shorter att'n spans than adult dogs, and while the baby dog is so young, you will have to modify the baby dog's lesson to be super short, and then gradually, make lessons a bit longer, gradually. We always wanna stop BEFORE our dog zones out on us, lol. Teaching a dog things, so increases the bond between human and dog, imo.
I think it is FUN teaching a dog things. IF IT ISN'T FUN, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! :ROFLMAO:rofl!
but about teaching"recall",
i do believe, you can successfully teach any dog to come when called, no matter what breed. Some dogs *may* be harder than others to teach this to,
but i really think ALL dogs can learn recall, all of them. I would not worry about YOUR dog, since you ARE going to train the dog. I think you will do GREAT!:)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
and lol, Richard, if you DO make mistakes, and we all do! :ROFLMAO: the great thing is, dogs ALWAYS give us a chance to do better! lol! I've made mistakes with my dog, yeap! But, Buddy always stands ready to let me 'get it right' !! Dogs are VERY forgiving lil creatures! and very eager to please us. You will do great! I think this terrier is so so lucky to be going home with someone who will help him become his best self!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi Richard, and welcome to DTA. Lots of great info here, and you have plenty of time to learn and absorb - and you're going about it all the right way. Lots of us have been where you are ... looking back at dogs we've had, and almost wishing we could do it over. Thing is - when you know better, you can do better. And clicker training is almost like magic. It's wonderful, and your puppy will love it.

Don't let the "stubborn, smart, etc..." characteristics of a Scotty (or any breed, or mix) scare you away. Think about what a Scotty (or any breed you might be talking about) was bred to do. Research the history of the breed. Terriers in general were bred to be tenacious little hunters, and at times, to think on their own (they'd have to, to be hunters). They instictually (and by training) hunt prey, and tenaciously, at that. A timid little terrier wouldn't do!! :p So - be ready for your little guy (or girl) - and work with it. You'll find his/her strong areas, and then work with those areas -- find something the dogs loves, and just make that what you develop. The payback is amazing!!! Example - I have Germ Sheps - yes, we do trick training and they have 'jobs' around the house, gotta keep those minds busy (or they find things to do on their own - not good :eek:). But - we've gotten involved in Nosework (my girl just got her NW1 title last week :p) and they LOVE it, they are so excited to do it, it's like I can't hold them back. That's "their thing". As your pup grows, find out what he/she LOVES, go to classes (maybe agility, nosework, tricks, rally, whatever.... it's endless) - and let your puppy/dog shine. When they're really happy and fulfilled, life is so much easier. And there are loads of great people on here to help see you thru -- cuz puppies are puppies (and even the greatest ones make ya wanna tear your hair out sometimes). :LOL: heehee

Once again....thank you to all who have written a reply to my thread entry. It is gratifying to see so many people taking a continuing interest in the forum.
On another note, I hope I am not becoming a critical dog owner before I even get my new pup. Today as I was walking, a man and his young dog approached. The young dog was excited and was lunging toward me but on a leash. I quietly approached them and talked quietly to the dog which sat and let me pet it as I kept talking. When I learned the pup was only 8 mos old, I started to advise the owner about socializing, particularly with strange men. I watched the owner as I gave the advice and his lack of interest told me he wasnt interested in making his dog a "better dog." A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I have to become aware of myself and others. Not all people want to improve their dogs' behaviour, and their dismissal of their dog being very excitable, might not cut it with me, but it isnt any of my business what they do with their dogs. Suffice I take care of "my own back yard."
:(

fly30

Experienced Member
Hi Richard and welcome. I wouldn't say you should keep in your own backyard. You can only try and maybe this person, once back home, will think about what you told him and this dog will have a better life. Maybe not, but maybe yes. I do the same. I can't stand seeing dogs on a leash where we live. There is no danger and there is no reason for that. Everyday, I meet a dog and his family. He's always been on a leash because "he doesn't come back". I told these people (many times) that they could do something, teatch him to come back, attend education lessons and have a wonderful happy dog... Last time I saw the dog with the lady, they were about to go to education lessons... So keep going.

running_dog

Honored Member
Sometimes it helps to tell people an anecdote or a story rather than giving advice, they feel less threatened. Drop ideas into a conversation rather than saying "do this." People will often go away and experiment when they don't think you are watching.

It does help give you credibility if you have your own well trained or improving dog.

Hi all again...
Wow...I am learning much more than I anticipated as a member of this forum...learning more about myself as a person. The suggestions on how to "advise" other dog owners...oh, how good. I have a habit I giving advice as if it were orders and then wonder why people dont take the advise. A more gentle, more oblique manner and method sure does sound like the path I should take. Sounds like it will be less aggressive and less assertive and thereby may become more attractive to the listener....hmmm...sounds a little like the manner I should adopt for dog training...more gentle, for sure !!
Thanks for your tips folks...I am making notes all the time !
Richard

mewzard

Experienced Member
I watched the owner as I gave the advice and his lack of interest told me he wasnt interested in making his dog a "better dog." A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I have to become aware of myself and others. Not all people want to improve their dogs' behaviour, and their dismissal of their dog being very excitable, might not cut it with me, but it isnt any of my business what they do with their dogs.
Hi and Welcome!!
I have Oka - a GSD cross <----- Silly and excitable, smart and stubborn but gorgeous girl!
What you describe above you will notice time and time again. I've even had family members ask advice then completely ignore it. Puppy classes (when you get your little fluff ball) are a great way to find people who want to train thier pup.
Giving advice ... I always use an example from Oka that way people kind of get the "oh you've been there" effect. But as you have seen many people don't want to "better" thier dog - or simply don't want to put the effort in.
A conversation with some one in my village who has a GSD same age as Oka:
Wow Oka walks so nicely, how'd you get her to do that?
We found a harness really helped, lots of treats and making it a game. (short explaination about the game)
Oh how about a slip lead i've hear those are effective
Well, we wouldn't use one (very short explaination about why)
Oh a slip lead is so much quicker....but maybe i'll give your way a go.
... A few weeks later her dog pulled her over and broke her wrist. She still doesn't want to put any effort into training hers.
Any way (y) great to see you here!