Dog Food

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
this person has studied chemistry and biology for 6 and 8 years each, and also thinks of cellulose and some forms of corn as a dog-food filler.
//"At school in Germany she attended Biology and Chemistry classes for 8 and 6 consecutive years respectively and during her 2 1/2 year professional apprenticeship, nutrition/dietetics was part of the accompanying education, and the final written and oral exams by the state of Baden-Württemberg.
After completing coursework in Animal Nutrition, Care, Physiology, Diseases and Parasitology, Sabine earned her certification in Animal Care from the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada........After researching dog food and studying nutrition independently for some years, I wanted to know what kind of academic education is actually available in the field of pet or dog nutrition.
As I found out, there is actually no such thing as a "canine nutritionist". The closest job description I found was that of veterinary nutritionists, veterinarians with a PhD in animal nutrition who are certified by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition. Only very few of them exist, and most of them work for, or are affiliated with, the pet food industry.........."//

anyway, ^that person also still thinks cellulose, and some forms of corn are fillers in dog foods:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients
she also feels the AAFCO definition of animal digest can include euthanized dogs,:cry: as the video on the DogFoodAdvisor shows, in link above.
//" If the source is unspecified (e.g. "Animal" or "Poultry", the animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on.
"//

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
BUT, it's up to each of us,
to decide,
what is
or is not, nutritious or appropriate to feed our beloved dog, i have no doubt, that each of us IS doing the best we can for our dogs. I don't think i've ever ever met or heard of a person,
who is feeding a dog stuff they don't think is the best they can provide...i think all of us are providing the foods we think are the best that we can provide to our dogs.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member

corn btw, comes in many types, corn gluten meal, corn bran, some creepy studies out there on lectins in corn, etc etc, lots of ways of add this filler to dog foods.

//"guess I assumed filler would mean something that has no nutritional value. "//

ah, i guess i am thinking a filler is something dogs don't need, to cheaply expand the size of the bags contents, and as something of very low low low nutritional value to a dog.
The nutritional value of corn, to a DOG, is so so limited,*almost* pure zeros for the nutritional values, it's mostly just starch, and starch IS bad for one's glyemic index, {but glycemic index is really only a guess anyway}.
but, starchy diets do spike a dog's blood sugar level more rapidly,(NOT good) and there's lots and lots of articles on that, i just grabbed one, there are many others.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22005400
These next scientists feel corn is fine for dogs, well, unless you want to avoid muscle wasting...
//"Statistical analysis revealed a moderate degree of correlation between increasing quantities of
corn gluten, which is low in essential amino acids (i.e. lysine, tryptophan), and increasing loss of lean body mass over the 10-week study (R = 0.56). F
These findings suggest that lean body wasting in adult canines can be associated with the consumption of low protein diets consisting of predominantly
corn gluten meal, which is likely due to imbalances or subclinical deficiencies of specific essential amino acids, and that low protein diets may augment accumulation of adipose tissue."//
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14633050

these scientists feel dogs should not eat corn, too...
//"
These data suggest that dogs fed a diet containing a higher total percentage of chicken protein may have a greater potential to regulate calpain-mediated degradation of muscle protein than dogs fed diets of corn gluten meal"//

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12968694

//"The AAFCO growth and reproduction allowances
for the fat-soluble vitamins are 1.3-2.3 times the NRC
requirements for growth. However, the water-soluble
vitamins are present at only 0.97-1.47 times the NRC
(1985) requirements for growth. Many of the watersoluble vitamins have poor availabilities, as they are
bound in vegetable material that may constitute a significant proportion of a canine diet."//

^this seems to be suggesting that even the very few nutrients in corn might not even be bioavailable, further leading me to see corn as a little to no-to-scant nutritional value filler/dog-food expander. Although, same article goes on to say, we really don't have a great handle on exactly how much vitamins dogs need:

//"Minimal requirements for amino acids are fairly well defined, but minimal requirements
for vitamins and minerals in general are imprecisely
known. .........The use of a nutrient allowance system, such as published in the AAFCO
(1994) handbook, will do little to advance the science
of companion animal nutrition and will give false as
surances of nutritional adequacy."//
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/124/12_Suppl/2520S.full.pdf

//". Some people might start with the assumption that animals who evolved as omnivorous scavengers do ok with grains, and go from there.'//

I generally agree, many dogs are okay with grains, but, i think corn is not one of the grains that should be given to dogs, especially not on regular basis.
but to each his own, and we all have to decide,
what is nutrition to a dog,
and what is not.

//"As far as "is X better than Z or Y?" I don't know of any studies looking at that for any food component."//

aw geez, i wish i had seen ^that remark when i was looking through some research,:ROFLMAO: i did see at least two articles describing, how corn gluten is even less digestible than other forms of corn,
and other articles onhow rice was better than corn i think it was because of less sharp peak on blood glucose levels, not sure, i can try to refind it if you want me to. Several studies on how protein is better than corn so far as blood glucose levels go.

^sorry, i can not fix the spaces and font changes! whoops!