Does winter affect the behavior of your dog?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really curious to know if the weather, especially winter affects your dog. There is lots of snow here and my dogs love it. My husky especially goes nuts when she first sees the snow fall. I was walking her today and we were having fun climbing up and down a huge snow mountain. :D

Please vote only if you have winters where you live.

splitz831

I'd have to vote three times three different ways...I have three dogs, one loves the winter and is so excited to be out in the cold, you have to drag him back in the house. Another doesn't really like the cold but is willing to run very quickly outside for a few minutes then cuddle up on the couch and the third one only goes outside long enough to notice that it's still winter and she'll come out again when it's spring.

E

emmasmamma

snow dog indeed!

Emma LOVES the snow! (or any form of water for that matter) Her first snow was late winter last year. We had a 12 inch snowfall and she weighed about 5 lbs. I took her out after shoveling a space to do her business so she woudn't get lost in the snow. She did her business then ran headlong across the shoveled area and took a flying leap into the deep snow! she romped around for quite a while including sticking her face right into the snow then flipping her head up and throwing snow up into the air! I wish I had pix but I didn't have a dig camera then and they didn't turn out too well.:msnsad:

bonbon

My dog loves the snow, hates the rain and loves the sunshine. We rarely get snow, but we had 8 inches here in early Jan. He loved chasing snow balls. I voted that he's pretty much the same regardless of the weather and he is, he loves chasing balls of any sort and is always excited to play outside unless the rain is pouring down and the wind is blowing hard.

l_l_a

mine LOVES the snow and cold!! when there's fresh powder in the fields he goes hog wild running and "skipping" around. I love watching his pure and spontaneous joy, it makes braving the harsh weather so worth it.

storm22

Experienced Member
theres is a change with storm that he can run more in winter, but he loves the heat of summer (he is a cattle dog) we dont have snow in my town but it does rain and storm loves stormy weather if theres thunder and lighting he tends to sleep in the rain he likes walking in that weather (i know hes strange he loves watching fireworks too)

milissa

My three handle it differently as well--

Book doesn't care, he'll play in cold, heat, rain, whatever--so long as he has a coat on-- he shivers and burns through more calories than he is able to consume and by spring time, he looks like I don't feed him!

Daystar used to love the winter-- running around in brisk air was one of the funniest things she used to do. Now, though, she gets really stiff and doesn't want to go out at all-- she goes out, does her business, and comes right back in.

Jet has great, full thick coat, so he's all about running and playing ALL DAY-- and when Book gets tired, Jet grabs Book's coat and either pulls it off or drags Book around by it!

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Pami hates the cold weather, and it's not much snow here, but if we have snow, she hates it...
She just doesn't like to get wet, (hates water too...) and if it's cold, it's even worse.
So she is a real spring/summer dog.:dogbiggrin:

leema

I don't find Mac behaviour changes, except he's a bit more cuddly because he wants to steal our warmth. :p

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL NICE VIDEO!!!!!!! That dog is crazy!!!! But if I were the owner I'd be scared for the dog's safety. There can't be that much oxygen under the snow like that! :) But I bet that dog has been doing this all his life, lol.

heidib860

Blue my last dog who was a Bassett Hound hated the winter. In a snow storm you could usually find him in his most favorite spot, curled up on the couch in front of the fire place. When it was time to go out he would run down the steps and then turn around and look at me with that look like you've got to be kidding, this again! Then again he dreaded the rain even more. Refused to go out.

Max on the other hand loves the rain and he is so much fun in the snow. This last snow storm we had he didn't want to come in out of it.

kujo3405

My dog kujo absulutly loves the snow wen we took him to michigan there was about one and a half feet of snow. i made a snow ball and tossed it to him and he tried to catch it with his mouth but it hit him in the face then he started rollin in it while i was sitting there shivering! LoL!!!

E

emmasmamma

Gee, that video makes Emma look like a beach bum! Of course, we don't get that much snow here. The most we got at one falling was last week. Eight inches in less than twelve hours. It was a wet and heavy snow, so Emma couldn't plow through it like that, but she was bounding like a rabbit through it. It would be interesting to see what she would do with that much snow!:dogtongue2:

mike63

Fairbanks Winters

Depending on how cold it gets, he loves the winter months. Up to 20 below he's fine, but 30 below and colder he definitely gets bothered by the extremes. Without booties he's definitely doing the cold paw dance about 20 minutes into play time. Right now, with the days getting longer and the snow starting to melt he's perking up! (Just like his owners...)