Dancing With Dogs

xena98

Experienced Member
Hi Guys
was wondering if you guys found on you tube tutorials on heelwork to music moves Apparantly there is one from Kikopup cause someone with a ridgeback thanked her but I couldnt find that one and even freestyle moves. Need the tutorials though lol seen lots of them around but they dont actually say how to do it. Pamela is brilliant
thanks guys

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Not sure if you saw reply #4 here on this thread, http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/doggie-dancing-is-fun.4713/but, i am currently working on a doggie dance routine, to "Stand By Me" and Tamara posted a video, on "backchaining" tricks, which i am mighty glad i watched.

i had been doing it ALL WRONG, starting at beginning of song,
turns out,
you might do better starting at END of song!!:ROFLMAO:
who knew?

at any rate, once i conquered heelwork (NOT that hard to do, imo)
i am finding doggie dancing a nice change up of dog training routine. Might end up addicted to it.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Here is a thread on how i taught heelwork. At first, i was just making it up:ROFLMAO: , but, do read "reply #34" too, on my homemade, "Easy-Cheesy Way to teach heelwork". this was NOT that hard to teach a dog, imo.
not at all, :D pretty easy, actually:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/easy-cheesy-way-to-teach-heelwork.4339/
^there's probably better ways to teach dancing style heelwork, but, that is what i did, and it worked just fine. I truly would match my dog's heelwork, with almost any dog's heelwork.

Most ppl will tellyou, that you "have to" teach 'The Elephant Trick' (dog spins with his front feet on a box) to get a good turn in heelwork,
but, i did not teach that.
at all.
and my dog's heelwork turns, are spot on lovely. We can do circles, S-shapes, turns, and he is right there, doing great.
but, maybe some dogs DO need to first learn 'The Elephant Trick' to execute a flawless turn or circle......but, *my* dog did not need to learn Elephant first....his turns are as sharp as any i've seen on youtube.

BE SURE TO READ REPLY #34 ON THAT "EASY CHEESY WAY TO HEELWORK" thread...since i was just making it up how to teach a dog to do that kind of heelwork,
turns out, my very first idea on it,:rolleyes:
was NOT best way!!:ROFLMAO::LOL:

^so DO also read "Reply #34" for when i DID get idea right..:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
it doesn't even take that long to teach heelwork, imo.

My dog got it, right away.

Overtime, we polished it, tweaked it a bit. For a while, our left turns were a bit sloppy, but, we've since fixed that. My dog can follow me, frontwards, backwards, left or right turns, and stays right in perfect positon-------NOT forging ahead, NOT wrapping in front,
and keeps his eyes on me.

wasn't that hard, imo. GO FOR IT!!

THEN, overtime, i had to train him to do his heelwork amidst distractions,:rolleyes: too.

i noticed this, when we were training, and my guy walked by eating a sandwhich, and i lost my pupil......lol.:LOL: ------------ONe minute, Buddy was eyes on me, following my every move, next moment, he was working his daddy for a piece of that sandwhich.....

:ROFLMAO:

THAT was the moment, i realized, "Ah ha! i need to solidify this move against distractions...":ROFLMAO: so i started out with low value distractions, and worked my way up to higher level distractions....

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, if you do plan to compete, apparently, whether or not the dog should TOUCH you(dog's shoulder to your thigh) as he does heelwork,
varies from one country to the next....for whatever that info is worth to your plans.

xena98

Experienced Member
Hi guys
Thanks for your replies. I do do obedience competition with my guys. This was Gabby a few years ago doing the first class in obedience CCD and she was 9 months old and got 99 out of 100. She has now got her obedience champion title and working our way through for our udx title and after that I need another 5 more passes with 185 or more to get Grand Champion. We have one pass and we have been so close so many times and she does something silly everytime that costs us a quali :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVzUuiE4Kss

Dancing with dogs is new in Adelaide and we have our very first competition lol in July. Queensland and Western Australia and I think Victoria they have been doing it for quite awhile now and actually have freestyle champions and heelwork to music champions as well. You have to go through the grades.

I have enjoyed training Gabby tricks and have decided to give it a try. A friend is helping me with the routine which is rings of fire with johnny cash. Another friend and I did a quick routine for the seminar which was my first time in the ring and afraid the nerves had got me. Not use to that lol. Anyway one thing I learnt is to practice with a ring cause I didnt set up right and ran out of ring rope which put me off lol

Anyway so that is what I am attempting and in heelwork to music there is certain positions that you have to do/learn 1)heelwork on the left 2) heelwork on the right 3) right head where the dog walks towards you and you are going backwards and the dogs head must be where your knee is (hope you understood that) 4) left head something as right head but you do on the left knee 5) the vine where the dog is in front of your knee longwise 6) do it the other way (I think pamela says t position cant remember) cant think of the other 2 so that is what I was looking . Shall look at them sites you gave me though
cheers
Danni

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Xena, that is marvelous heelwork!! KUDOS!! and CONGRATS on the titles, WHOOOOT!!!!!! i'D BE SO PROUD !! Great work!!
So interesting to hear the "official" rules of heelwork competitions! I recognized some of the moves you describe, from having watched so many doggie dancing videos!
Me, i wont' be having to worry about right side heelwork, etc, as my dog will never ever compete, (he's dog-aggressive) but, we are just doing it for fun. Still interesting to know The Rules.

orpheum

Here in Belgium there are 10 heelwork positions and they invented some new so now we have 14 positions (we have to be different in everything I'm afraid).
I believe these are the 10 basic positions.

"The elephant trick" CAN be useful if you want to teach more than just regular heelwork in 1 or 2 positions. It's also usefull for heavier breeds or dogs that have a low rear end awareness.

In the thread from tigerlilly46514 I posted a "older" clip of me and 1 of my dogs training 3 positions.
We are currently working on the next 3 positions. I can recommend the heelworkDVD from Richard Curtis. Well explained for different positions. Not expensive.

And tigerlilly46514, you can compete online these days if you want to do competition. Just telling so you would know :-)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Great info, Orpheum!!

//And tigerlilly46514, you can compete online these days if you want to do competition. Just telling so you would know :-)//

GET OUT! THEY HAVE SUCH A THING!!?? WOW!! now, you know, you just fed my mind full of all kinds of things!! rofl!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOL, Orpheum, i'm learning so much from that video, a few of those moves,
i did not realize were 'official' req'd moves, and i'd thought, when i saw a few of these while studying up doggie dancing videos, i though the dog had made a mistake!!:ROFLMAO:

orpheum

A brilliant routine is this one from Richard Curtis. I learned a lot by watching it over and over again.
Of course the constant signals did cost him points, but what a clever way of working them into a routine. The dog is constantly looking at the hand, but a lot of people don't even notice it. It should be done without constant signals. But his dogs really do understand what he expects of them.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
So Orpheum, or Xena,
is "doggie FREESTYLE dancing"
considered different thing, different rules,
than "doggie dancing"??

are there two kinds, do you know?

orpheum

In Belgium there's HTM (heelwork to music) and freestyle in the section doggydance.
The main difference here is
- HTM: Dog needs to stay IN the area of 2 meter of the handler. The routine must be minimum 75%heelwork, tricks are used to do transitions most of the time. So in a routine of 2minutes the dog needs to be heeling for 1.30minutes. And some other rules, but I don't think they are international.
- Freestyle: minimum of 75% tricks, all tricks are allowed. BUT standing on hind legs, "head stand" and headroll are discouraged due to the high risk for injuries. No minimum distance defined. Heelwork is not considered a trick here in Belgium.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yES, I SAW THAT VIDEO, loved it. Incredible talent!!

I don't know this man's name, and i don't know if this style of doggie dance routine is following any "rules"(?)
but, THIS VIDEO shows the incredible diversity of doggie dance styles.....keep watching it, i fell over laffin, way too funny!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
// Tigerlily, that's gonna be you and Buddy someday!!!!:D//

in my dreams! ha ha!!:ROFLMAO: I was JUST NOW doing some heelwork with Buddy, i do this now, several times a day, and doncha know,
a FLY went by, and Buddy just about knocked over a plant trying to get that fly.....:rolleyes: I totally lost my dog to a fly.....

Buddy's whole thing with flies has now escalated to an obsession.....once he spots one, he just stops everything, and stares around, trying to locate that fly again.........for a long long time, he searches for it.......and when he finally spots it, it is the ONE time, the ONLY time, he sometimes knocks over stuff in his attempts to get that fly.....

(and we get a fly most everyday, cuz my guy tends to leaves door open when he is working outdoors pretty often.. some men are harder to train than dogs, imo..)

poor ol Buddy, he needs to go to "Fly Rehab" now...:rolleyes:

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
// Tigerlily, that's gonna be you and Buddy someday!!!!:D//

in my dreams! ha ha!!:ROFLMAO: I was JUST NOW doing some heelwork with Buddy, i do this now, several times a day, and doncha know,
a FLY went by, and Buddy just about knocked over a plant trying to get that fly.....:rolleyes: I totally lost my dog to a fly.....

Buddy's whole thing with flies has now escalated to an obsession.....once he spots one, he just stops everything, and stares around, trying to locate that fly again.........for a long long time, he searches for it.......and when he finally spots it, it is the ONE time, the ONLY time, he sometimes knocks over stuff in his attempts to get that fly.....

(and we get a fly most everyday, cuz my guy tends to leaves door open when he is working outdoors pretty often.. some men are harder to train than dogs, imo..)

poor ol Buddy, he needs to go to "Fly Rehab" now...:rolleyes:
Hahaha zara is like that she loves eating them yuk