Cross Your Paws

Anneke

Honored Member
Southern Girl, RESPECT!!!
After 5 or 6 sessions, this is where I am at with Jinx... Still not much progress. Cooper is showing he does get it:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
Anneke Jinx is doing pretty good(y) , something that might help her touch Jinx's paw that your having her cross than touch your hand that you want her to target and Cooper is doing great. I'll post a video of Missy doing it. She can do it with one side. I havn't added the cue yet, I just tap the floor.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Here's a video of Missy crossing her paws. She only knows one side so far, I haven't taught the other side yet. Also I haven't added the command yet. Missy crosses her paws when I move my hand over or tap the floor.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
AWESOME work southerngirl, :ROFLMAO: now i hate you!! rofl!

that only took me and Buddy ten days to just get first paw crossed over!!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Anneke, just now see your video, wow, THAT'S REALLY GREAT, both paws in 5 or 6 lessons! wow! Such cute dogs, loved watching it.
and now dogcrazy's Carmel is nailing it, too!!

wow, now isn't this something? the first wave of us, trying to teach this trick, many of us seemed to struggle with it, some of us a lil bit, some of us quite a bit,
either we, or our dogs, were not getting it down easily.

and here comes this second wave, all doing just fine!
no fair! rofl!

signed,
"jealous" in Indiana
and her dog, Buddy:ROFLMAO:
KUDOS to all the dogs!! and all the trainers out there, doing wayyyy better than i did!!

Anneke

Honored Member
Have to confess that Cooper has been working on this trick way longer than Jinx... He has the relax(right over left) down on cue, but the at ease(left over right) needs a little work.
And as you can see, Jinx still struggles, but I need to take some more time for this. I haven't been doing a lot of training lately.

horsy

Have just seen this thread, Diesel learned this in about 4 sessions. I got my arms scratched ALOT. I just got him to give me his paw and moved his paw over the other, gradually fading my hand out until one day it just clicked for him. I haven't tried to train both feet sperately though, I think he just does whichever he feels at the time. He does however, do it naturally anyway. Almost every time he lies down he crosses his paws, has done since I first got him so I wanted to put it on cue. I give the cue from standing up, "cross paws" or move my index finger in a small arc, as if pointing to his foot and indicating to lift it and cross it over. We've got it very subtle now. It makes for great photo's ;)

sara

Staff member
At least I dont even have to try with my Dachshunds... they physically cant do it! LOL so I wont have to look like a bad trainer ;):D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
NICE WORK ANNEKE!!(y)

Anneke, i LOVE your dogs! Just love 'em!! so so cute! I always smile so big to see your dogs, i like how the lil dog smiles his mouth! too cute! I love the bigger dogs' faces! He sort of reminds me a lil bit of Buddy's faces.

and wow for the cat, too!:ROFLMAO: so cute how the lil dog LOVES that clicker, and always tries to get on the tricks!

Anneke

Honored Member
Yes Jinx is just always there, even if you don't want her to:D If I want to do some real training with Cooper, I have to tie her up, or put her in the other room:rolleyes: I just can't get her to stay where she is...
And Cooper, well he's my big boy. I love it when he's willing to work, like today. But if he doesn't feel like it, nothing can get him to do what I want:confused:
And Balou(the cat) he's 16 years old and thinks he's a dog.

They came up with this version of cross your paws themselves, so I went with it.

AlexandraGR

we are working at this too, Aksel knows "touch" and he puts his paw on the certain onject. We are working with a post it . first of all i ask him to lay down , after i put the post it on on HIS (not mine)right side and i ask him to touch, here apears the problem he touches the post it with his right paw, not with his left one. I have started with puting the post it in front of him, and i click him only when he was touching the post it with his left paw, and then step by step i change the palce of post it to his right side, here the chain breaks, when the post it is near his right paw he touches it with his right one. any sugestion? any other way to tech him this trick?! thank you

southerngirl

Honored Member
My Missy was doing the same thing so I would pat her left paw than pat the post it a few time. It may take him a few times to get connect two an two. Hope this helps if not I'm sure some other members have ideas on how to help you with this.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol, Alexandra, most of us had exact same problem:ROFLMAO: ...which is why this thread is 4 pages long!!! If you want to, you can scroll back, and read us all dealing with exact same problem.
I think, i ended up moving the target item, (a plastic lid for left foot, a potholder for right foot)
onto the top of opposite leg, and slowly then put it over.
Sara said she used a target stick, and her particular dog "got it" when he was in a bow position.

STAY AT IT, i found THIS trick to be one of THE hardest of all tricks for my particular dog.

And after he could cross his left foot over the right foot:D:D:):D
my dog got honked OFF :mad: when THAT was ignored, when i began work on his right foot crossing over...:ROFLMAO: