CM's Daily Poll: Dog Birthdays

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Quick, get out of bed, it's Fido's Birthday. He needs to open his gifts, get the cake, go for that special Birthday groom at the local parlour, and revel in his day of celebration. Or does he? Aren't we just being selfish, and using Fido, who has no voice to object to our actions, as the target of our sentimentality? Wouldn't Fido just rather be respected as a dog? Or does he really love that it's his Birthday? Some people think so. Are you one of them?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I find it absurd when people 'celebrate' their dog's Birthday. My neighbour, who owns two Shih Tzu dogs, actually once fell out with someone because they didn't bother to send their dog a Birthday card. She buys them gifts each year, and takes them for a Birthday grooming.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I give them a rawhide bone or something, nothing special, but I like doing it anyways :)

bocephus

Experienced Member
I find it absurd when people 'celebrate' their dog's Birthday.
You certainly would not feel comfortable around our house then...Rrrufus had a 3 pound Hamburger cake. It had Smokies for candles Melted cheese for frosting and Bulls eye BBQ sause for lettering.. OOOHHH they loved it!!!

BOcephus had a BBQ rib party for his B-day. He invited 6 of his friends and had 45 pounds of BBQ'd Beef and Buffalo ribs. Cooked in different styles for different tastes.
They are usually more into eating than opening presents......
I love to celebrate the day the lord brought my pup into this world!! He does to!!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL nice picture (as always)... That's a really good way to practice your wait exercises!!! :dogsmile:

Did you teach 'em to blow the candles? :)

l_l_a

Bocephus that's a great picture! :) Not just a fun one, but one demonstrating impressive self-control training!

I haven't had a birthday party for my dog (though we do give him gifts) simply because I feel a little overwhelmed about hosting a doggie party! but my dog and I have attended birthday parties for other dogs.

Most recently we had a birthday party in the dog park, for one of the doggie daycare staff whose dog is friends with my dog. It was so fun! there was cake (for dogs and people), and games like cake-eating contest for the doggies! Of course we humans had fun socializing with one another too! And being in a dog park, the dogs all got to play off leash.

We also gave presents to the owner for her birthday dog, (of course, addressed to her dog, from our dogs!) and she in turn gave all the guests little gifts for our dogs too like tennis balls, frisbees and bags of treats (again, addressed from her dog to our dogs!)

It was such a blast, and I don't see any reason to NOT do such a thing. The dogs certainly had a great time!

I wouldn't host a doggie birthday party myself though, as I think I couldn't handle all the details! this lady who had the party for her dog, was a daycare employee so she's used to dealing with packs of dogs!

l_l_a

oh, and I don't think it is absurd at all when people celebrate their dogs' birthdays, anymore than it is absurd to celebrate babies' birthdays (since babies are too young to appreciate it or know what's going on). I think celebrating our dogs' birthdays is a very natural human-like thing to do (we are humans, after all!) :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, celebrating a dog's birthday does give us time to reflect and feel our love towards our dog. Kind of like when you get a puppy, every owner spoils the bananas out of their puppy, even tho he is only a dog. :)

bocephus

Experienced Member
Not just a fun one, but one demonstrating impressive self-control training!
The pups are so easy to train. Infact if you were to ask them I am sure they would tell you" If Dad would just listen he would be allot easier to train"!:msngiggle:
As I am learning from them each and everyday!
Here is what impresses me about the pups self control. After the line up, and putting the bowls down I could walk back in the house and they will not move till they here me say CHOW!!
Dinner line up starting with BOcephus on your left, Rrrufus, Abby, Loki.
If you saw the pic zoomed in you would notice a puddle on the deck just under BO's cheek. He starts drooling the second he sits.His bowl hidden by the chair.

You really need to see a video of dinner time to see how our dinners are. Be prepared for a tummy ache from the laughter.

l_l_a

Another great picture, Bocephus! I do that with my dog too, making him sit and wait in front of his dinner until I give him the OK to go ahead and eat. We do that with every meal, it's to develop self-control. Sometimes I make him sit a few feet away from his bowl, sometimes right in front of the bowl.

would love to see videos too!

mopar53190

I can not wait for X-Mas and for my puppies first Birthday. I will give my dog something special for both days and even wrap a present or 2... as I have done with all my pets. They are a part of my family, I like to bring them a little extra joy on special occations too!

storm22

Experienced Member
i like to take my dog some where special like to the beach or a walk through the bush but he just thinks its just a normal day but i give him a toy at christmas time and he unwarps it, he also unwraped my sisters puppys first christmas toy as well this year

addictinganimal

Tank just celebrated his first Birthday! :msngrin: It was really fun. The pupcakes in the picture are actually meatloaf balls topped with mashed potato icing and cheese. :msngiggle: We all had one, along with a wee bit of fruit juice that Tankeh enjoyed a lot.

PS--That picture cracks me up. He was looking up, just pleading, "Can I pleeeeeeeeeeease have it now?" :ROFLMAO:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
LOL, nice pic. I can see that he even has his own little dog house in the house! :dogsmile: