Choke Collars: What Do You Think?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Rusty has both of those breeds as well(along with others, lol). With some exceptions, she may grow to be much like Rusty. =D You'll have to get some pics up when she's older. :)

landseer

About Choke Collars

shelly;7151 said:
Hi,
my name is Shelly/. My opinion on choke collars or certain other collars should not be used without learning the correct method from dog trainers.
Some students just might get too frustrated and choke and puke the dog.. Respectfully Shelly
I totally agree with shelly. Although in the poll I have voted for the not necessity of these kinds of collars, I think that, in case choke collars should be necessary, they must be used knowing the correct method.
With Chantal I didn't need to use a choke collar. I bought a leash ending with a slip knot that doesn't choke the dog brutally. Luckily I didn't need to use it too much and now it is just like a normal leash I use to walk her.
:yhug:
Landseer an Chantal
By the way....HAPPY EASTER to everybody hoping this wishes of mine find you well in body and in spirit:cheers2:

hockey390

I don't use a choke on my dog, but if she was a tough puller and didn't respond to her own added tension or me stopping during leash training I would use one to get more response. I don't find anything wrong with them if they are used as collars or training devices, but I always hate to see someone walking their dog on a choke and just hear the dog doing that *HHHHEEEEK-- HEEEEKKKKK* noise they make if they can't breath due to the choke... I'm not sure if those letters will actually make the sounds if you try, but if you say those words and sort of hiss like a cat it might ;-) You all know what I mean.. That sort of use isn't the right use, that is just choking your dog.

lexio2

I'm love the limited choke (martingale/no-slip) collars but dislike classic chain chokers, due to the fact that 99% of people will use them incorrectly.

as far as shock collars go, it depends on why and how you use it. We used a shock collar with my sister's BC to teach him to come when called when he hit 18months and STILL had ZERO recall. We shocked him (on a very low setting) once and that was all it took for him.

storm22

Experienced Member
tx_cowgirl;7299 said:
Rusty has both of those breeds as well(along with others, lol). With some exceptions, she may grow to be much like Rusty. =D You'll have to get some pics up when she's older. :)
will do, i took some this morn with her and storm so you can get an idea of how big she is (i put them in gallery) shes 4 months, she a big girl:dogbiggrin:

bekah1001

Honored Member
My brother new someone who had a really hyper golden retriever and they bought a choke chain collar and the dog was dog so exicted it pulled so hard it punctered it throat and died:(

lane

Choke Collars

I used choke collars on my dogs at one time because I was told that that was the best way to control them. Since I've moved over to clicker training I've found that my dogs respond much better than they ever did with the choke collars and I only use plain leather collars now.
I worked with one woman who's brother-in-law had a dog of 6 - 8 months old and was walking it in a chain choke collar. It was pulling so he pulled back hard on the lead and snapped its neck. I've also known people who have used them for many years. It's a pity we can't poll the dogs:doghuh: