Beach Tennis, 2 Men And A Dog

Jukes

haha - I love it - looks like a fun day on the beach:)
I'm still mega impressed by the sheep herding - so lucky to have sheep - I swear it's what Jukes dreams about:D

Jukes

Really? I didn't know that you could just pay - do you get an instructor? How much does it cost? Do you have a link to a trainers website or something?

Sorry for all the questions but I would be really intrested in having a go with Jukes, I had no idea you could have herding classes!!!

fly30

Experienced Member
Well, I suppose you can find more or less the same in any country. I'm in France. Here, there are two options to have herding classes with an instructor (the instructor is really necessary) : either you find an association which does this and this is quite cheap (20 euros per day where I go), or you find a professional but the price can be really high because they make a living out of it. In which country are you ?

Jukes

I live in the UK and I can't seem to find any websites for trainers or groups - I've been looking for 2 hours - so frustrating! I think I'm going to take Jukes for a walk and perhaps visit a few farming friends who might be able to help. We'll see how it goes:)

Jukes

Ohh - I've just found something, that's only about an hour and a half away - how much would you expect a whole day group session to cost (4 dogs and handlers maximum)? What about a private half day lesson?

This place charges £36 (41 euros) for the group and £60 (69 euros) for the private. Your price seems a lot cheaper - what kind of set up is it so I can compare the two?

Thankyou so much for this - I've been intrested for a while but haven't actually got anywhere. Anyway time for that walk now and I'll have a chat with my farming friends to see what else is available

fly30

Experienced Member
No doubt you'll love herding with your dog, it's magic. I usually go to an association (they don't make a living out of it), so I pay 25 euros annual fee + 20 euros each time I go for the day or 10 euros for half day. This is very cheap.
In August, I'll try something different with a professional and that will be 50 euros for the day. Prices differ from place to place.
I don't have private sessions, they're all group sessions but one dog at a time. There are 8 dogs per day, or 4 per half day. Usually, we herd about 15/20 minutes four times in a day which is ample enough. After that, your dog will be very quiet on the next day :)

heidio

Wonder video fly30. I love the subtitles you added. Fly looks like he is definately enjoying himself and yes he does look like he's herding in the video. Too cute. I almost missed the shovel until you pointed it out, very funny. Never seen a tennis match with shovels. :)

fly30

Experienced Member
Thanks heidio. Yes she's herding a lot when she plays, which always make it look serious. But I'm glad I filmed this as I can see that she's not herding for herself. She's actually waiting for instructions which means she controls her instinct. She did not try to catch or run after the ball unless the boys asked for it, this is good. I can trust her (y)

heidio

That makes if even more impressive fly30. I hadn't relealized from the video that she was waiting for instruction. BRAVO!