Barbie Dogs

desertranger

I appreciate your not flaming me.

I don't blame the small dogs. However as a kid it does tend to leave permanent mental and physical scars. Why is it when some lady walks into a store dragging her dog on a string she thinks it's OK for the dog to go just visit with other dogs. Not being socialized properly they approach head on. A very aggressive move for a dog. Well socialized dogs approach from the side or the rear. I've got Jin and Abby both on leads and a shopping cart full of dog food and this dog charges in wanting to barking and weanting who knows what and now I find myself in the middle of something when 10 seconds ago I had two dogs on a calm down/stay. These dogs (and their owners) are very lucky I don't use my feet to kick them away. On the other hand I do have a loud voice (which as you know gets me in trouble here) and I use to good affect. "Get your rat away from my dogs". Not polite. I then turn on the dogs giving them a major NO! and Down!. Lord help the dog who doesn't listen.

Jin is in service dog trainingl He's supposed to ignore everything and for the most part he does. However every time a snarky tea cup size dog appears all my work gets tossed out the window. At that point I may as well go home because now Jin's stressed and I don't need more than one of these incidents in a day. Do you realize how frustrating that is?

In all fairness. There are a couple of small dogs that we, Jin and I are friendly with. Roxy the toy dachshund who doesn't bark but squeeks, and Dolly and Molly a couple of Yorkies with exquisite behavior. They walk up to Jin and sit there waiting for him to acknowledge. Despite the fact they're friends Jin remains wary.I was even surprised at the park one day when with frends a couple of lap dogs came up and joined the group of dogs I had sitting thhere waiting for treats. But that has not been my experience with most of them.

I still jump from laprats. However let me say that I'm not one of those people who want to create some BSL (breed (or bulls--t) specific legislation) against them as does one group of people here. This group of people has created a list of dogs known for viciousnous and bites including chihuahuas, yorkies, and other small breeds known for snarkiness along with the usual pit bull, rotweiler, dobie fears. They pulled this list from reported dogs bites in the area from Urgent Care, ER's and animal control reports. No doubt the properly padded in in their favor to have it show statistically small dogs have 3 times the bite factor large dogs do.

I believe in training. I constantly hear from the owners of lap dogs including those who start week one of a class and never return, "I wish my dog would do that" The problem is they are not willing to work with their dogs a couple of times a day and while watching TV to get that kind of dog.

So in the meantime I remain on the defensive from these four footed terrorists.

justjesse197

I have seen my share of aggressive little dogs, but I have also seen my share of aggressive big dogs aswell. Where I live, people allow their huge dogs to run off lead, and I have been charged aggressivly by them numerous times. The responsibility of a dog's behavior is that of his guardian. By the dog's behavior, you can clearly see how much time and effort they have put into working with one another. Sure there are bad representations of many breeds, but that is because their guardians don't take the time to teach their dogs proper doggie etiquitte.
Has anyone seen Laurie Williams with her Maltese Andrew? They were the runners up for Greatest American Dog (Even though they should have won! =). These two are simply amazing! Andrew is a well rounded dog, and can do amazing feats =) And small dogs do have purposes. Take the Jack Russell Terrier for example. They were bred to kill rodents on farms, keep up with the horses on a hunt, and go down a burrow to flush out the fox so the hunt can continue. They bred them to be courageous, so that they could work independently and go into dark burrows after the quary, but they did not breed for an aggressive dog. A dog that attacked the fox was considered useless in hunting, since that was not the dog's job. When you see an aggressive dog it is most likely a dog that has no exercise, no mental stimulation, or has ideopathic aggression(in which case the dog can't help it).
By generalizing that all small dogs are horrible, and useless, makes me feel sad for you. Sad that you will never be able to experience the love, joy, and friendship that "little" dogs can offer. I love my little Jack Russell, and wouldn't have it any other way =)

snooks

Experienced Member
ALL of the dogs that have bitten my two have been Labs allowed to run at large. My problem is the owners and their behavior is as abysmal. And I DO realize how annoying that is when I walk in the vet and 10 flexileads all reel out. Why have the dog on a lead at all? I can’t even get in the door-so that all the calming work I’ve trained goes out the door when she’s then the dog on the leash at the dog park essentially.

She is trained to ignore but I can’t and won’t expect her to ignore aggression. I have found that nicely embarrassing the owner is much more effective than acting aggressive myself. When they realize what they are doing they do change their behavior especially if they realize how difficult they make it for someone that already has a hard time walking and needs help. If I’m rude they don’t change their behavior but feel justified in their returned rudeness and I don’t accomplish anything. The other way I win lots of small battles make sure all my steps are forward and not back. I usually end up with a supporter afterward. Aiming my wrath at the dog would never acheive anything and it's undeserved. Just as obody ever changes their driving after someone tailgates them.

desertranger

This morning Abby in her hiking pack, Jin in harness and I were out for a walk at the park. We were barely out of the car when 3 lap dogs ran up to us yapping and acting aggressive and excited. Jin went so crazy I had to physically pick him up by his harness and put him in the car. When I asked the owner to take her dogs away she said they were just being friendly and wanted to play. They weren't being friendly and Jin was major upset and she couldn't see that. Thank God Abby just barks as a reaction. Wearing a pack she doesn't stand a chance against any other dog much less three undisciplined furballs. All she did was stand there while these dogs hassled her. Worst part these dogs were not on leads and the woman simply would not leave us alone prefering to run her mouth about how good her rats were. I finally got Abby into the car and went somewhere else.

My wrath is never aimed at the dogs however my fears stem from them. I'm not afraid of large dogs. I'm not afraid to wade in a break up a dog fight among larger dogs and have even been bit for my efforts to restore peace. I watch for small dogs. I warn people away and when they get snarky, I jump. I have no doubt that also has an effect on Jin. It's a problem. A real problem. I want nothing to do with ill behaved dogs in general I certainly want nothing to do with dogs whose owners just plain don't give a damn and let them do what they want.

The state of California is considering a mandatory dog training law. As much as I don't believe in it at this moment I would give it a lot of support.

Maybe I should become a trainer. Certainly there's a need for it.

ozibe

Experienced Member
i tell all my clients who come for training that you only get out of your dog, what you are prepared to put into them. If you haven't the time to train, or spend with them then what are you doing with a dog. When they see how well behaved my obee dog is, how sociable, how polite, how responsive she is they all go 'I want my dog to be like her' my reply is "you can have a dog like her, if you are prepared to put the time in."

Don't expect your dog to do something if you haven't trainned and been consistent in your training. Don't be disappointed in your dog, or pissed off with your dog because it won't do this or that, go and stand in front of a mirror and give the image you see their a damn good telling off! then go and spend some training time with your dog. It doesn't need to be hours, the time between tv programes, the commercial breaks are short and sweet and just great for dog training. Wouldn't you rather train your dog then waste those precious minutes watching ridiculous commercials!

snooks

Experienced Member
I actually have tried a rather strong EH EH at the owners and it works. I think they are so surprised they react first and think later. :dogohmy: :msngiggle:

I do also body block and carry mace and citronella on reel out keychains on my waist leash...usually reaching for the mace outside b/c citronella does little to an over threshold dog. I've been badly bitten saving my dog when I thought I was way in the clear so I'm not hot about getting into it but I'll not leave my dog the victim. I've thought of an air horn if I ever wanted to get MY dog used to it like jackpot chicken for the horn. She is a gun dog so it could work.

I figure that ought to scare the beegeebers out of everyone and make a very clear point. A racquet ball racquet is a great blocker for any size dog but then I do get very tired of looking like a bag lady to protect my dog. Usually anyone that sees me start wielding a racquet calls their dog. I'm not going to hit any dogs unless they seriously try to attack again but I will strongly block and can look rather intimidating. That might help u block really safely in appropriate settings. I've blocked and maced some big dogs and done an about face and disappeared quite effectively. Blocking and saying NO GO HOME GET sternly usually causes people with their dogs to recall them. Embarassing doesn't work well unless it's a more crowded place like the vet. One guy cursed me, when I asked he not throw his bumper IN my yard to play fetch under my deck. He asked if there was a law and I replied yes give me ur name and we'll test it right now. I do know where you live too (tho i didn't). He's not been back leashless. And I mentioned the security cameras surely had him recorded.

A retriever field whistle works soooo well on Elk that I wonder about that air horn. I'm pretty glad to be moving soon out of this neighborhood with all its free roaming dogs. Very irritating-a dog actually pooped on my dog's ball which rolled just outside the deck fencing the other night. :dogmad: Luckily it was solid rubber and sanitizable by itself in the dishwasher. I don't get this free dog thing with all the mtn lions here.

ruffmuttk9z

desertranger;19803 said:
Maybe I should become a trainer. Certainly there's a need for it.
No, I beg of you, please don't. You can't even teach a recall on your border collie. You have to rig up a complicated 200ft diameter rope thing to keep him from running off. You've really no business even jokingly entertaining the idea of becoming a dog trainer based on your posts on various border collie forums.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Well said, Rufmutz. DeRanger is obviously very knowledgable on many things, but i don't know if compassion for dogs is his high point. He once mentioned feeling urge to kick a dog on some thread or another. I'd also hate to see how he might react to a man who has a small dog, as he also belittled that,(?) which i totally did not understand and thought very unfair remark. Our dogs, and our gender identity, are unrelated. Dogs are living beings, not extensions of US.

Dr, there are also threads on teaching "stay" for your one dog, if you wanna find those threads. Some dogs are way harder to train, WAY more of a challenge--- but if we persist, and study up what works for others, we can usually find a way that works for our dog. Keep trying, and hang in there!! Each dog IS unique. Lots of great advice on this here website--- if one method isn't working, post it, someone here WILL probably be able to help. Sometimes, people know other ways to teach exact same thing, or, can tell you what step to improve upon.

DR, you do have much knowledge on many things, i tripped across your website while following the first aid link you sent me, so i can see you are maybe expert at surviving in a desert and stuff---how unique! how wonderful!!!! but maybe dog training is not something you would enjoy. Might be irritating to you. It seems it would require a lot of patience and compassion, even for customers who show up for training with their yet-untrained small dogs, or "laprats" as you call them.

snooks

Experienced Member
I'm torn- it wasn't until I started seriously formally training that I began to REALLY understand the good and the bad things people do in training their dogs. Maybe an endeavor to immerse yourself in training so see if you can be open-minded in learning all the different methods. It wasn't until I did this that I switched from traditional to positive training and my dogs got a HUGE benefit. Perhaps the issue is just exposure to everything that's out there.

I've been attacked by a GSD, bitten in the face as a kid, and had rabies shots and attacked as an adult by a Doberman and got pretty torn up. My now 6yo golden and I were attacked in an agility class by a rescue dog with issues that shouldn't have been in there in the first place. When I faced those fears head on and got help with the Doberman attack and talked with a counselor about it. It took away the fear and allowed me to understand so much. Maybe dealing with this issue with little dogs will give you back your own personal power and help. Take back the reins so to speak. You sound like a very strong person.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
snooks you are so dang sweet. you really are.
wow, i never knew you had these frightening dangerous experiences with dogs, makes it all the more remarkable you didn't let it ruin dog training for you!! Wow.

I still think DR, who makes derisive remarks about dogs doing "dumb tricks" (?)is not good choice for dog training school, but, maybe you are right, maybe IF he had open mind, he could learn new way to be. (buddy is learning this, so it can be done.)

storm22

Experienced Member
desertranger, you like some others im sure have had some really bad experiences with small dogs, i too know some of your anguish, i dont really like small dogs as most arent well trained or antisocial, but thats not there fault, if you look at their owner they are either smiling and wondering how cute there dog looks at it attacking you or your dog (this foxy came out of nowhere and attacked koda my rotti x pitbull- and the owner then realized what kind of dog i had cause she looks in everyway a pit bull if it wasnt me seeing the rotti mother id think she was full pitty, but yelled at me for having such a vicious brut wandering the steet) beer in mind koda was on a lead and she was at heel , we were practising and all she did was try to avoid this little rat trying to bite her, to the piont she actually jumped/climbed into my arms (no easy feet i might add shes a big girl)

but this lady accussed me of owning a bad dog, it was a crazy day, but i dont blame the dog it clearly wasnt trained, the owner had no idea, i yelled at the dog and sidekicked it off my leg and it listend to me, not its owner yelling full steam,

i think alot of small dog people in general are abit like pony owners, they have these things but cause there small they dont treat the dog or pony with the respect those animals should have like they would give respect to a larger version of that kind, its sad in both dog and horse worlds, but when you see a well trained pony or small dog you have much respect for trainer or handler as they have the respect and knowledge these animals deserve

i have grown up with a range of dogs from great danes to chihuahuas, my dad at one point had a great dane a bull mastiff and something else just as huge but my granmother had 5 chihuahuas at her house, all well trained each dog but the best thing was the little ones didnt push you out of the bed like the big ones did lolz, try being 5 or 6 years and sharing your single bed with two to three dogs, you were somewhere squeezed in the middle if not pushed out of the bed,

i like little dogs most of them are big dogs trapt in little bodies, pugs are just like bull terriers in small bodies