Balance Tricks

sara

Staff member
So I do believe Oliver would be good with balance tricks... he kinda showed me that today when, all on his own he jumped up onto a post and balanced on it.... so me being me, I decided to teach him to do it on command. I didn't take a video, but I got pics! I was throughly amazed by how well he balanced, and the fact that he had all 4 feet lined up side by side under him! He also was able, by the end of the 10 mins, to turn around on the post!

just a cute pic... this is what we were doing before he decided to jump on it!

Now I'm wondering how to properly teach balance tricks, and by what I saw today, I'm thinking I may want to try to teach him to balance on a pole. I seriously saw some cat-like behaviour from him today! I would never have expected it from him... he was such a klutz as a pup, and he's not all that small, but he's obviously well balanced, body-wise, and strong enough for this type of trick. Any ideas on how to go about teaching him to balance on a pole? He obviously has the idea already!

sara

Staff member
You mean this one?

Mouse and Boo are often audience members! (especially since I have food! LOL)

wenryder

I love this! What a great way to embrace his natural skills! I have no tips for you, but want you to know I think this is wonderful! Keep us posted with your progress. :)

fickla

Experienced Member
Cute! and you know what that trick is a prereq for- a foot stall!

I've never taught balancing on a pole but I suppose I would simply start by going to narrower and narrower objects. Of course the more hind end awareness he has the better but my guess is you've already taught him lots of those tricks :)

sara

Staff member
Thanks guys!

Yes, he knows what his back feet are, infact he's learned to back up onto an object, and to cock his back leg on cue. HE also does alot of back up type things. Now, I'm curious as to what a foot stall is, and why balancing is a pre-req? cuz he seems to have that down, so would like to work towards something harder, if we can:D Ollie's always up for learning... I think that's his favorite thing!

My friend that was with me was totally amazed that one, he did it on his own first, and 2 he would keep trying and trying and didn't get bored and want to go do his own thing. I told her that's the difference between a clicker trained dog, and other dogs... clicker trained dogs enjoy training and enjoy thinking for themselves, and want to do behaviours and tricks. Course I also told her that Oliver is the smartest and best dog ever... but then I may be a tad biased! O_o

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
No tips, but wow! Cute pics and neat trick. I agree with Fickla, probably just go to smaller and smaller objects. Can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

fickla

Experienced Member
A foot stall is where your dog learns to balance on your feet. Lay on your back, hold up your feet, dog jumps up! Common, yet impressive, disc dog trick.