Another Frisbee destroyed!

aidenroyal

I have a 11 month old border collie I play Frisbee with all day. I've always put his Frisbee up when the game was over, and they use to last us months. However, now I'm lucky if they last 4 days. What happened was, one day when little kids where over, they had pulled the Frisbees out. Unaware they even had them, they left one out that my roommates Australian shepherd got to. When I came across them, my border collie was watching him destroy the frisbee. Now even when he catches it, the whole way back hes chewing it up. So my question is, any advice? Maybe some way i could communicate with him, this is inappropriate behavior, or maybe just buy better Frisbees. Right now we use the PetSmart brand, that cost a dollar. So you could imagine how fast they are rendered unable to fly.

pootiepoo

When I used to purchase the dollar frisbees they would only last one day ... :). She would puncture it when she caught it, then she would fold it in half in her mouth (she looked like a duck!). Needless to say it wouldn't fly correctly after a couple of times of this. So ... my advice is purchase better frisbees. The nylabone ones are sturdy and not too hard on their mouths. He may not like them at first though ... you have to throw with a little more force which hits their mouth harder. But give him a little bit with it and you both will get the hang of it.

aidenroyal

pootiepoo;20424 said:
When I used to purchase the dollar frisbees they would only last one day ... :). She would puncture it when she caught it, then she would fold it in half in her mouth (she looked like a duck!). Needless to say it wouldn't fly correctly after a couple of times of this. So ... my advice is purchase better frisbees. The nylabone ones are sturdy and not too hard on their mouths. He may not like them at first though ... you have to throw with a little more force which hits their mouth harder. But give him a little bit with it and you both will get the hang of it.

The nylabone is what I was thinking too. Thanks so much for the quick response. I just found this site a few days ago and I'm loving it, everyone is so nice and helpful!

fickla

Experienced Member
there are some special discs that you can buy that are designed for competitions. Some of them are extremely durable!

dat123

Experienced Member
I have 3 border collies, all extreme frisbee addicts. We have been playing frisbee for 5 years, at the park and dog competitions.
We have tryed every frisbee you can think off. Plastic, rubber, cloth, etc
The tradition white plastic used in U.S. comps, last about 2 weeks.
We started with the Jaws flexi rubber type ( as advertised on page that fickla has shown) , they are brilliant !!!
We have a few that are now 3 years old and still going strong.
I highly recommend them.

warning : the cheap plastic ones float in a creek, the jawz sink like a brick, so don't throw them in water.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
If your dog has a strong grip, this is what I can suggest:
Jawz Disc
My dog doesn't play frisbee, but my friends who have BCs and malinois, they all use this, as their dogs always destroy normal discs after 3-4 throws.

aidenroyal

szecsuani;20541 said:
If your dog has a strong grip, this is what I can suggest:
Jawz Disc
My dog doesn't play frisbee, but my friends who have BCs and malinois, they all use this, as their dogs always destroy normal discs after 3-4 throws.
Ya you would be a good investment, id probably spent 100 dollars in 1 dollar disc before the 15 dollar one would even have a scratch lol

justjesse197

Hi aidenroyal :) We love the Hyperflite Discs!! (Although I prefer the Petsmart discs, not only can I chase them, but I can actually chew them too!) Momma bought me the Petsmart discs to get me interested in frisbee, but they didn't last a play session either. So she bought me the Competition Standard discs, they are more durable, but not puncture resistant. If you buy more than one, you can throw the new one before your pup chews the one in his mouth ;) The JAWZ are really great too. They just don't fly as free spirited as the Petsmart discs :( They are heavier, and like dat123 said, they do NOT float. We learned that the hard way when Momma threw it in a rain puddle (it was swimmable for me), and it disappeared as it hit the surface... We had to wade around for it! BOL! Also, another great frisbee, is to buy the soft ones. There are a few brands we like like Floppy Flyer, and SoftBite flying disc (Softbite Flexible Discs - Toys - Dog - PetSmart)
These fly wonderfully, and they won't hurt your pup if it does hit them in the face. I love playing tug with the soft disc, and I even staple them with my teeth ;) They last a long time though, and build drive. Hope this helps, Disc dogs Rock!! ;)