A Brand-New, All-Site Dog-Training Project Idea!!!

luna may

I just thought of something: Could we, all of us members of the DTA who may want to, film our dogs performing a few tricks and upload them to the site? Then, a bunch of people who are good at edditing crop the shots up together, put backround music, an voila- our special DTA clip!
If it goes well, we could go further and expand to more sophisticated stuff, like plays for example. Can you imagine your dogs in a play? :doglaugh:
Here's a possibility- Little Red Riding Hood, Doggie-Style:
*Dog takes a basket with goodies
*Dog nods to mamma ("Yeah, okay, I won't leave the path, mom, don't worry, I'll be fine")
*Dog leaves room
*Another dog\person comes towards the dog (A.k.a The Big Bad Wolf)
*Dog leaves basket
*Dog picks up a flower (real or fake, it doesn't matter) from the ground
*Pause, narrating, real acting, written explanations, pictures... You name it, just to pass the mesage of 'What's going on' (In this case- the BBW&Granny scene :D)
*Dog enters new door
*Dog spins around bedqperson acting the BBW
*Dog touches the BBW's face and nose ("Oh granny, what a big nose you have!" :dogblink:)
*BBW jumps out of bed
*Dog hides and prays
*Dog faints (Bang!)
*The hunter comes and 'wakes' dog
*Dog gets the hunter a 'gun' (You know, those little-kid plastic ones)
*BBW falls down in shock, and the Dog pounces on him
*BBW cries and Dog gest him a napkin :dogblush:
*Dog 'checks' wrist and shakes the hunter's hand, who departs with the BBW
*Dog curls up on the bed, tuckes himself in and goes to sleep.
*(Additions welcome!!! This is just a sketch, and I'll be glad to change it if you like ;))

We could organise it up ("Who's dog can retrieve well? Who's got a dog that knows how to speak, prefferably a grey one?"), put the parts together, and look what we could achieve! :yipi:
What do you think? :doglaugh:

luna may

I know I'm a bit nuts for thinking up such a whacky project, but I git so exited about it I had to let you know! :D

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I think that would be a fabulous idea!

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a long time, I wanted to replace the introduction “Shaggy Dog” video with one that shows clips of all the dog tricks being taught at the DTA. But I didn’t have enough clips to make it original and convincing.

A video like that could very well get a lot more registrations when users watch the video, and we could post it on youtube and attract viewers to this website.

I have lots of free time on my hands these days, and I have no problem taking care of this. I can set up individual hosting accounts for everyone who wishes to send their video clips.

I can edit videos; however I’m not really that great at it. Is anyone here really good at editing videos? If not I will have learn how to do it better.

That is ... if everyone is on board. :D

bipa

Let me know if you need clip of a JR jumping around and barking a lot. Bonnie is really good at that one. And if you need a digging scene, then both of mine are great at digging grave pits that a person can fall into.:dogtongue2:

The video production sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately I don't have the skills to really contribute a lot to it. But I'll be a very appreciative audience! :dogsmile:

luna may

You guys realy think this could work? I'm so happy and delighted and bright spirited and cheery and jovial and enthusiasmed and sparked up about this! Yipee! :yipi:
(Look how many big words my dictionary knows! His mama must be proud ;))

marieke

Ooww, getting all exited. Great idea! If you need a scaredy dog Guus is your man. Of course, he's not réally scared, he's asked me specifically to specify that. He's just great at ácting scared

yoyopoodle

Great idea!!

I'd love to do something like that with Charlie... but I'm currently using my photo camera to record short clips - I haven't found [free] software that will edit the clips yet, but I'm happy to pass them along to someone who can :)

PS, if you ever want a 'lamb'....

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Okay guys, I really think we can make this project work! :)

First, we need to all agree on the outcome. This project would be dedicated to creating a series of clips which would end up in a “promotional” video, or a video which would show what we do here at the DTA.

Second, we need to understand why we are doing it. I think the main purpose for creating something like this would be to inspire other people to train their dog. We are all normal dog owners who have all trained their dog themselves to do this stuff. So if a new dog owner sees this they might be motivated to start training his own dog! Secondary reason would also be to create a clip which would replace the “Shaggy Dog” introduction video which would greatly improve registration rates and help the community grow.

Third, we need a plan. The first thing we need to do is to collect the video clips from the members. Every dog has their specialty tricks that they do very well, so if we all gang up and publish our very best dog tricks, the video will look fantastic. Eventually we will need to edit these clips together, but for now we should concentrate on gathering them.

I will set up a place where you can all submit your video clips.

marieke

Do you think we need our very own song too? It's gonna be a silent film probably, we could write lyrics and a tune. I'm not great at composing but I do play the piano. There's probably also someone with a good singing voice (or we could stick to instrumental). Any musicians out here who can compose? What do you think?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Sure that would be interesting! Although I was thinking more of using a pre-made or a royalty free track and playing having it played while we show off the clips. I have seen some pretty fun and attractive youtube videos using this concept! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet, a video like xsara's is exactly what I had in mind. If you haven't watched hers, take a look here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEA2Nvx47aI[/media]

I think it would look fantastic if there were say five or more dogs doing all different tricks. This could be kind of a "showcase" of neat tricks. I've seen dogs here retrieving a water bottle from the fridge and others to walk on the two front legs.

I've trained my husky to "play chess" with me, so that could be an interesting clip of the video.

dat123

Experienced Member
I'm very interested, count me in !
I can use one dog or all three, they do some double acts together, like one dog hugs the other one while sitting, syncryized spins, etc.
Sounds like a lot of choregraphy to get the music, clips etc all worked. Should be a fun project together.:dognowink:

luna may

Oh gosh I am so exited about this!!! :D
*Jumps around smiling and twirling around like a maniac, probobly breaking something in the process*

alix

it all seems very exciting, thumbs up for the idea and the evolution of it. Guess I have to rush with my plan of purchasing a video camera :dogph34r:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
OK. I think if anyone here has any clips, we should start to gather them so that we can start editing and figure out what we have, what we need and what we want.

Usually, editing requires high quality video. So if it is at all possible, I think it would be best if we used raw footage to create the clip. This will mean that the files will be much bigger than a youtube version, and will require more time to send.

I can host the files here on the DTA. If you know how to use FTP accounts then send me a Private Message and I will create you one. If not, you can submit your video clips to and give me the link. I will then download them and put them on the DTA.

Your clips will be safe guarded in a private folder and will not be seen by everybody.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
This is a great idea!
I just don't know if I would have enough time. But I really want to join!:yipi:
And I could take care of the music, not composing or anything like that, but I know a few songs, that would be really cool for this purpose.