Who Is Interested In A Trick Challenge?

running_dog

Honored Member
Is anyone interested in a trick challenge?

If you are please say so and list 5-10 of your wish list tricks that you would like to train... that way we'll hopefully be able to find a trick that a few of us are interested in training. We can then post a new thread for the trick we choose and look back to this one for more ideas once we've finished the first one.

I suggest our final video has a clip of the first lesson, and maybe one or two in progress clips before the finished trick (I love watching in progress training). The trick challenge submissions used to have to show the trick performed 3 times in a row in the same clip which I think is a good idea. We should probably set the time limit depending on the trick we decide to train.

Zac's wish list:
move back in bow position (is that "scoot"?)
backstall
roll up in a blanket
crawl (we tried to train this ages ago but never got anywhere with it)
Jump over swinging rope landing on same spot as take off (ground work for jump rope, I have done a little work on this already)
Shell game
Paper covered hoop (blind jump)
Rolling hoop dive

Gus's wishlist:
reverse weave
weave walking forwards while I walk backwards
play dead
skateboard
tidy toys (with or without container lid)

That's probably enough suggestions from me, whatever you want to train most likely one of my dogs won't have learned it yet :)

southerngirl

Honored Member
roll up in a blanket
Jump over swinging rope landing on same spot as take off (ground work for jump rope, I have done a little work on this already)
Limp
Backwards weave
Dog stands on two feet putting their back to yours
Foot stall

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Is anyone interested in a trick challenge?

If you are please say so and list 5-10 of your wish list tricks that you would like to train... that way we'll hopefully be able to find a trick that a few of us are interested in training. We can then post a new thread for the trick we choose and look back to this one for more ideas once we've finished the first one.

I suggest our final video has a clip of the first lesson, and maybe one or two in progress clips before the finished trick (I love watching in progress training). The trick challenge submissions used to have to show the trick performed 3 times in a row in the same clip which I think is a good idea. We should probably set the time limit depending on the trick we decide to train.

Zac's wish list:
move back in bow position (is that "scoot"?)
backstall
roll up in a blanket
crawl (we tried to train this ages ago but never got anywhere with it)
Shell game
Rolling hoop dive

Gus's wishlist:
reverse weave
weave walking forwards while I walk backwards
play dead
skateboard
tidy toys (with or without container lid)

That's probably enough suggestions from me, whatever you want to train most likely one of my dogs won't have learned it yet :)
Absolutely, River would love a challenge!

backstall (Is this jump over your back?/ On your back?) I'm not sure if this would be a good one with River but maybe?
Shell game
Shame/Shy/cover your nose
Skateboard (River can ride a skateboard but not three on push with one or two on push)
Painting with a Paint brush
Lift up back leg/ limb with back leg

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
roll up in a blanket
Limp
Backwards weave
Dog stands on two feet putting their back to yours
Foot stall

Maybe the stand behind you back to back.
Possibly jump rope, I'm just hesitant with a lot of jumps with a golden. They aren't necessarily built well for it.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I would be interested in joining in the trick challenge....
Get a drink from the fridge
Cop cop
Backwards weave
Backstall
Foot stall (both of these would be a big challenge to Chloe, she is hesitant to jump on me like that)

running_dog

Honored Member
That's great so far we have four people, 5 dogs and lots of ideas!

Srdogtrainer, if you are worried about the jumps that's fine we'll work round it. There are things I won't ask mine to do either. Has River done any standing on hind legs work? I mean is it his health you are worried about there too?

Kassidybc have you trained stand behind me back to back? It is really cool for freestyle and can be quite a challenge because your dog is taking a cue behind you.

I've run out of time... All being well I'll be back to this later!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
That's great so far we have four people, 5 dogs and lots of ideas!

Srdogtrainer, if you are worried about the jumps that's fine we'll work round it. There are things I won't ask mine to do either. Has River done any standing on hind legs work? I mean is it his health you are worried about there too?

Kassidybc have you trained stand behind me back to back? It is really cool for freestyle and can be quite a challenge because your dog is taking a cue behind you.

I've run out of time... All being well I'll be back to this later!
No I have not trained standing back to back. Her stand tall trick is a little iffy, she's still building up muscle to be able to stand for an extended period of time, but she's getting better. I would like to teach that though, it might just take us a little longer. Or she might only be able to stand back to back for a few seconds.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Golden's aren't built particularly well for jumps and standing up. I don't want to stress his joints too much.
I was thinking maybe the stand high if he is leaning up against me or something would probably be better then doing it in the middle of the floor.

running_dog

Honored Member
I was thinking maybe the stand high if he is leaning up against me or something would probably be better then doing it in the middle of the floor.

I think that you are right and also I'm thinking to post this one with the emphasis on the dog moving into the stand tall position and not on duration - as kassidybc points out it takes time for dogs to build up the muscle anyway.

For the jumping on one spot, because it is basically a targeting exercise we could do a challenge that allows us to train either jump on one spot (a mat target) or spin on a small pedestal/mat. If you can think of a better alternative than spin please suggest it!

running_dog

Honored Member
All being well I'll post a stand tall back to back with owner challenge tomorrow. Perhaps we can run this one and see how it goes.

While we try out this one I'll try and work out some of the other possibilities. It would be nice if we could have a kind of 2 tier challenge each time so all of us get the option to participate even if we've already trained the basic version of the trick or are uneasy about some health implication. So for example if you've already trained backstall maybe you could train your dog to perform 4 tricks while doing backstall, or a chain using backstall. We could train balance on small pedestal and then those of us who are ready/want to can take it on to Footstall. It might get too complicated but I'm going to try writing some of them out and see where we might get to.

Southerngirl and Kassidybc have you done back leg limp, shame, blind jump, skateboard (I've got a second tier for skateboard so you're not off the hook if you have :) ), or the shell game? If not are you happy to try them or some variant?

MaryK

Honored Member
How did I miss this? Leaf's in! Her wish list is

Pretty much the same as Zac's she can do a splendid bow, it's her 'default' trick', but crawl is well ummm let's not talk about that.

Plus she's also still building her muscles etc. having only just turned a year old. Am working on getting her to stand on her hind legs, very slowly, and she's kinda getting there.

She'll jump through hoops so would love to add 'blind hoop'.

Working on cop cop, bit hit and miss at present.

Zeus' wish list - get more treats for being a good audience. Any trick which works for a mature aged boy with wonky legs.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
All being well I'll post a stand tall back to back with owner challenge tomorrow. Perhaps we can run this one and see how it goes.

While we try out this one I'll try and work out some of the other possibilities. It would be nice if we could have a kind of 2 tier challenge each time so all of us get the option to participate even if we've already trained the basic version of the trick or are uneasy about some health implication. So for example if you've already trained backstall maybe you could train your dog to perform 4 tricks while doing backstall, or a chain using backstall. We could train balance on small pedestal and then those of us who are ready/want to can take it on to Footstall. It might get too complicated but I'm going to try writing some of them out and see where we might get to.

Southerngirl and Kassidybc have you done back leg limp, shame, blind jump, skateboard (I've got a second tier for skateboard so you're not off the hook if you have :) ), or the shell game? If not are you happy to try them or some variant?
We actually have not done any of those except for shame (which even that, she doesn't do a very good job on, we are working on duration). I do not have a skateboard, although I have been looking for one because I really want to teach her that one!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Golden's aren't built particularly well for jumps and standing up. I don't want to stress his joints too much.
Wait, so standing tall isn't good for goldens? I have been teaching my friend's golden to stand tall, should I stop?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Southerngirl and Kassidybc have you done back leg limp, shame, blind jump, skateboard (I've got a second tier for skateboard so you're not off the hook if you have :) ), or the shell game? If not are you happy to try them or some variant.
I started working on limp with Missy, but never got very far. I haven't done skateboard, but longboard with Missy. I got to wear if I gave her a push she would use one foot to pull herself, but never got to her pushing the board off herself. Missy knew shame, but its been o long since went over it with her she probably forgot. Piper hasn't learned any of these. I would be happy to do any of them.